UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 206911 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

psychomansam

• forum hero
http://girlwhoatetheworld.blogspot.co.uk/

Number 7 on the list was good when we went a few months back. Very tasty and a bit different. Authentic. Good service.

Should try some of the others!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Just printed off a voucher for Strava (Leopold Square). It's one of the better chains and we've been reasonably impressed on previous visits. Early evening visits with the kids works well.

http://www.stradaoffers.co.uk/sheffield/countdown_to_summer/

if you print it today 29% off, tomorrow 28% off, get the idea?

psychomansam

• forum hero
Had a very nice meal there a few months back with some good wine too. I can't speak for the value as it was being paid for by a cross-university consortium. I'm not a student at any of the relevant uni's but I wasn't arguing! :alky:

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Has anybody been here, and if so is it any good? http://www.ottosrestaurant.co.uk/ 

They seems pretty on it with being partially gluten free. Anybody been anywhere else good that caters for GF really well? I know Bistrot Pierre etc are good, but non chain preferred if possible. cheers T

Nigel

• forum hero
I eat out with a few gluten free peeps, usually end up at east & west (they use gram flour for everything I think) or wasabi sabi - can't really go wrong with sushi, plus they have gluten free soy sauce if you ask.

T_B

• forum hero
Has anybody been here, and if so is it any good? http://www.ottosrestaurant.co.uk/ 

No, but Otto owns the Mediterranean, which people rate (I've enjoyed the food there in the past, just found the service a bit in-yer-face).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
We went to Viraaj last weekend. Really good food, excellent friendly service and not expensive.

Mrs S reckoned it was better than Kashmiri Aroma but I'd say it was of similar quality (which is pretty high praise). The chilli naan was amazing.

We may now have the two best curry houses in Sheffield within walking distance of our house. #winning  :dance1:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
we visited The Waggon and Horses by Millhouses Park last night - it's now a Pesto restaurant; serving what is basically tapas dishes with Italian names 

reasonable portions

very tasty

reasonable price

12 dishes between 4 of us. best dishes were meatballs (quality meat), beef stew, spicy potatoes, fishcakes

the highlight of the night was the cheesecake (shared one between 2 of us)

oh, yes...  they serve Easy Rider

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Yeah we've been there. It's good and very kid friendly too.

The guy who started the Spanish tapas chain La Mancha sold up a year or two ago for a few million quid.

He had a clause in the deal that said he couldn't start anything new for a certain amount of time and couldn't do Spanish stuff ever. So he sat on the cash for a while and then started doing exactly what he did before but Italian. This is the result.

:greed: :greed: :greed:

fatkid2000

• junky
Anyone been to back of house - think its a resurrection of kitchen?

It's in the same place as kitchen was on Eccy road.

Looking for somewhere for our 5th wedding anniversary - wife needs boring food as 34 weeks pregnant and can't take any spice or large portions!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
No but a colleague who was a Kitchen regular went a few weeks ago, wasn't massively impressed. Was sold the special seafood starter without being told the price, turned out it was around £27 for a starter!

Think the whole "a place that has no pretense" might be rather ironic.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Enjoyed a meal at Vittles Cafe last night. They have started doing a bistro evening menu at weekends. All our food was tasty, and reasonable. If anything starter portions could be smaller! I had the 'smokie' to start and lovely home made meatballs on linguine.

joe cook

Hi Toby, me and ky went here the other day and loved it - food was great and the people were really friendly.

Durbs

• forum hero
Well, having found myself staying in a hotel in town on Saturday, had a quick glance at Trip Advisor and ended up going to the #9 restaurant in Sheffield, El Paso.

Holy guacamole.

Worst restaurant experience ever. Short version: 2-hour wait between first arriving and starting to eat. They forgot to bring the starters. Guacamole was inedible (mashed garlic with a hint of avocado) and the salsa tasted like Dolmio. The main was actually ok. We only had one drink during this time as they never actually asked us if we wanted one.

So not a recommendation. More an “avoid at all costs”.

Not the best start to the introduction to Sheffield to try and persuade the Mrs to move there ;)
Though the Great Gatsby (I think…) we went to did a very good cocktail.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
This thread is a lot more reliable than Tripadvisor.

Durbs

• forum hero
Indeed - though not as easy to search by proximity to hotel...

Wood FT

• forum hero
Well, having found myself staying in a hotel in town on Saturday, had a quick glance at Trip Advisor and ended up going to the #9 restaurant in Sheffield, El Paso.

Holy guacamole.

Worst restaurant experience ever. Short version: 2-hour wait between first arriving and starting to eat. They forgot to bring the starters. Guacamole was inedible (mashed garlic with a hint of avocado) and the salsa tasted like Dolmio. The main was actually ok. We only had one drink during this time as they never actually asked us if we wanted one.

So not a recommendation. More an “avoid at all costs”.

ah well, at least it had a nice view...

iain

• forum abuser
Another recommendation for the York, went there a while ago mainly to try the bacon jam as mentioned by Obi, nom.

Spoon is worth a visit, can highly recommend Thursday's pie evening.

Dolly

• forum hero
I've only been to Spoon once and I wouldn't go again.
The salad was very dry and without dressing -  it wasn't the sort of thing where you add your own/add olive oil/vinegar
One dish was sooo salty I had to send it back. The chef can't have tasted it as it was inedible.
Then my main was cold so I sent that back to be reheated.

Pretty poor I thought as underneath all that the food might have been OK.

iain

• forum abuser
Been twice now, lunch and pie evening. Can't remember the salad but my better half would've complained if the food was too salty and it was properly hot both times (had to let the pie sit for a few minutes to let it cool a bit). Maybe you got a bad day or they've listened.

edit: not that I'm trying to convince you to go back, we enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:13:16 pm by iain »

El Mocho

• forum abuser
No but a colleague who was a Kitchen regular went a few weeks ago, wasn't massively impressed. Was sold the special seafood starter without being told the price, turned out it was around £27 for a starter!

Think the whole "a place that has no pretense" might be rather ironic.

The ex chef from Kitchen lives on our road and I know he has moved to somewhere else on Eccy road, I couldn't remember the name - I will try to pay more attention next time.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
NNFN!!! Drove past Dore station the other day and noticed that Moran's has gone, replaced by "Peppercorn".

:(

Anyone been to the new place yet?

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
Been to Homemade for lunch a couple of times recently and, both times, have found it to be excellent ......... Good. well informed staff and a great selection of vegetarian food .......     

Dolly

• forum hero

They seems pretty on it with being partially gluten free. Anybody been anywhere else good that caters for GF really well? I know Bistrot Pierre etc are good, but non chain preferred if possible. cheers T

Went there at the weekend and thought it was great.
Some people had pea soup to start with- which sounds boring - but it was creamy cumminy, olive oily bowl wipingly good. Service was good. BYO @ £2 a bottle which is good as I hate paying £12 for a £3 bottle of wine.
Puddings were all brilliant as well.
Mains were good but not brilliant - ie not as good as the starters/puddings. Might be better if you eat meat as 2 people had lamb tagine and said it was great

The place was packed - I mean rammed, so I think you'd need to book if you were going at the weekend. I guess that's some sort of indicator.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal