UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 207142 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Just had lunch in Jonty's Cafe on Sharrowvale road. Big thumbs up from us, not over priced, tasty food and cakes. Good all round.

Paul B

• forum hero
the Milestone was featured on Ramsays latest programme, it hasn't gone out yet.

fatkid2000

• junky
the Milestone was featured on Ramsays latest programme, it hasn't gone out yet.

It was shown earlier this week - and somehow beat a place in Kent (which has 2 Michelin Stars), in the best English restaurant class, to go into the final for best restaurant.

I've been once to the upstairs - which was good, not outstanding. The one time I've eaten downstairs it was shit. The mystery guest reviewer on Ramsay's programme experienced the same in the downstairs - poorly cooked food. The milestone is certainly not serving up Michelin starred standard food in my opinion.

I think Ramsay gave the Milestone the win as it's run by a group of lads who he reckons are like him, plus I don't think it was all down to the food. The Kent place got a bit overwhelmed by 30 dinners arriving in one go.

There must be better 'English restaurants' - from what I've heard Moran's and Kitchen in Sheffield sound better places to eat, so in the rest of the country there must have been better contenders. I suspect a lot of better restaurants turn down being on these types of programmes as they don't need the business this type of thing must generate, or fear being made to look rubbish.

Paul B

• forum hero
I agree entirely I just thought I might have made a mistake. The dish from the Kent place looked to be in a different league so I was a bit shocked by the outcome.

They're yet to come good on their promise of our refund meal since offering it to us which I think seals their fate customer service wise.

Yet to try Moran's but I (we) like Kitchen a lot.

fatkid2000

• junky
Has anybody eaten at Bragazzi's restaurant?

It's just down from their cafe  - and looks good. It's only open Thursday - Saturdays, and it's bring your own wine.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I've only been downstairs at the Milestone but thought it was pretty average to be best. Is upstairs much better?

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters

It's just down from their cafe  - and looks good. It's only open Thursday - Saturdays, and it's bring your own wine.

Not eaten at the restaurant but the cafe is very good indeed.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

http://www.bragazzis.co.uk/restaurant.html

It would have to be seriously good for those prices, something not quite right charging £5 starter/£15 for a main/£5 dessert and not having a license. And 6:30-8:30?! what gives? Do they want to be taken seriously? Looks a bit like their sandwiches, really nice, but just that little bit too expensive.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Mrs Fatdoc & I have finally got an evening out.... after a search of this thread... it's Kitchen on saturday... cool!  :great:

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.

http://www.bragazzis.co.uk/restaurant.html

It would have to be seriously good for those prices, something not quite right charging £5 starter/£15 for a main/£5 dessert and not having a license. And 6:30-8:30?! what gives? Do they want to be taken seriously? Looks a bit like their sandwiches, really nice, but just that little bit too expensive.

Seems like a very sound plan and to be honest not many people want to sit down in the UK after 20:30, particularly outside of the main areas.

As for BYO it means you can take a bot. of £20 wine in and get £20 worth of wine rather than one that would retail at £6 and the rest being markup.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Seems like a very sound plan and to be honest not many people want to sit down in the UK after 20:30, particularly outside of the main areas.

As for BYO it means you can take a bot. of £20 wine in and get £20 worth of wine rather than one that would retail at £6 and the rest being markup.

True and true, although I was more surprised at the 6:30 end of things, and the way it was written made it appear they close and 8:30 and if you were there much past 9pm they would start looking at their watches, sweeping up around you and muttering things in italian under their breath.  >:( I'm probably wrong and you could merrily neck bottles of your own wine til the early hours but it's still a bit odd for a restaurant to state a closing time like that.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Is it supposed to mean last sitting at 8.30PM? That would make more sense to me but that doesn't necessarily mean it has any validity in the grand scheme of things. 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
We finally got round to going to Kitchen on Saturday night. Can only echo what everyone else has said. Very nice indeed, we will return.

Paul B

• forum hero
has anyone tried the Wig + Pen since the Milestone took over?

It seems I'm destined to be there in a few weeks anyway but I'd be interested to know (there were some nice aroma's when I last drove past)!

underground

• forum hero
has anyone tried the Wig + Pen since the Milestone took over?

It seems I'm destined to be there in a few weeks anyway but I'd be interested to know (there were some nice aroma's when I last drove past)!
yes- same menu as the milestone, smaller portions seemingly so they fit in the roof slate they are served on. I prefer the milestone for atmosphere and aesthetics too

Paul B

• forum hero

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
expensive - marco @ milanos by milhouses park

Only two and a half years later, we're going here this evening.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Wasn't sure which thread to put this in as it's a pub but not in the Peak. Anyway, the other weekend we went to The Prince of Wales on Ecclesall road for Sunday lunch.

It was the first time we'd been since it was refitted last year and they've done a very nice job. In short, the food and service were excellent and they have a good range of lagers and real ales. Kid friendly, not as expensive as The Chequers and better than the last time we went there it was the best pub meal I've had in a very long time. We will be going again.

Paul B

• forum hero
I've been peering in every evening on the way back from the Peak, the refit does indeed look good but I convinced myself it'd just be another plastic pub inside. Time to stop perhaps.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Yeah we were heading Peakwards and decided to try it on the offchance. Only had the Sunday dinners so can't comment on the rest of the menu but it looked quite interesting. Raf's ice cream was bloody nice too.....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Went to last night and was very impressed.

Starters were exquisite chicken wings/thighs, scallops and garlic bread (its the future after all), and they were generous portions to say the least.  Most starters were in the range of £4-8.

For main I had the Red Snapper in piquant sauce special and it was delicious....and huge, only managed a a meager side portion of veg.  Wife had a lovely (and again massive) steak that was cooked to perfection.  Others had Beouf en Cruet (?sp :shrug:) and salmon.  Mains were £10-20 (although most were >£15).

No desert as I never eat them, and we were all stuffed from starters and main.  Apparently the chef has made one desert in five years as so few people want one after their main.

Did I mention the portions were HUGE?

Recommend checking it out if looking for a nice meal out.

galpinos

• forum hero

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Thats the one, essentially beef wellington for one (well two really given the portion size).

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Apparently the chef has made one desert in five years as so few people want one after their main.

The portions are enormous, too big really.  Haven't been for a few years but I couldn't finish two courses even.  A lot of folk have left with doggy bags every time I've been there.  Daft really they could increase their profit masiively by reducing portion size but the food would still be value for moeny at the current price.  Maybe a French thing?  Nice food whatever.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal