UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 206888 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Not a restaurant but I'm not quite sure it deserves a place in the Knowledge thread yet...The Sheffield Tap.
As Nat was working over in Warrington yesterday I thought I'd meet her at the station for a swift half.
The Tap is nice inside, you'd hardly notice it was there from the street side. The range of beers on tap is good, the range of bottles is ridiculously good (four or five sides in the menu).
Prices and rather average Thornbridge stuff was the sticking point for me. I haven't been to the Sheaf or the Rising sun recently for a price comparison but a pint of Jaipur set me back 3 squids and a pint of Timmermans Kriek was a whopping £5.60.  The timmermans however was very nice, so was the apple bocq and the Sierra Nevada pale. Various bottles were also sampled based purely on bottle and label. She's working over that way again tonight  :beer2:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Nice one on the heads up. I didn't know about this place.

Another vote for Inter Siam from me btw.

Paul B

• forum hero
seems slack--line is in agreement:

"Had a pint in the new Tap Bar at Sheffield train station. Very nice beer (although a little pricey at £3.60/pint)"

Plattsy

• forum hero

dave

"Had a pint in the new Tap Bar at Sheffield train station. Very nice beer (although a little pricey at £3.60/pint)"

£3:60? I hope you kept the glass.

cofe

• forum hero
That'll get you 3 pints of Sam Smiths at the Crown in Glossop. They do lack national rail links though. And you have to go to Glossop.

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
Best start including some meat in your diet then!  :P

I'm not vegetarian, I just don't eat meat if I can't guarantee it hasn't suffered to make it onto my plate. Seems reasonable to me.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Mmmmm the taste of pure delicious suffering, nom nom nom.

I once had the special honey beer in the Sheaf that was £5 a pint, but believe me it was worth that, a truly awesome beer experience.

Paul B

• forum hero
a few of the bottles in the tap were of the honey variety... I can't say I wasn't tempted.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Prices and rather average Thornbridge stuff was the sticking point for me. I haven't been to the Sheaf or the Rising sun recently for a price comparison but a pint of Jaipur set me back 3 squids and a pint of Timmermans Kriek was a whopping £5.60.

I hope you never end up at a loose end in London Paul...you could well be in for a shock! ;)

Paul B

• forum hero
London is london

Sheffield is Sheffield

...BUT, yes I'm always horrified when we stay with Nats family and thats only darn Watford.

Just finished dinner at Siam Inter.
I don't really think there's much between it and Baan. At both we ordered set menu's and both had strong points and weak points. Cost was roughly the same. Service was impeccable at both, what makes siam Inter stand out to the UKB massif?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Aroma now bust, it seems that they weren't running a big hawala / ML house just a good curry house on fantasy finances.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Went for Sunday lunch at Moran's last week - really nice as always.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Went to the Milestone last night. The pub was packed but luckily they could fit us in upstairs. We hadn't booked and the wait in the pub was 20 minutes so we were glad to sneak in upstairs. The service and food was great although I wasn't full after 2 courses (£24 - I have a large appetite) and none of the desserts took my fancy so slightly disappointing. On the plus side they had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in bottles.  :beer1:

Paul B

• forum hero
Well in contrast; I ate in the Milestone last night downstairs... and it was appalling.

We skipped starters and just went for bread and olives followed by:
Open Steak Sandwich with Creme Fraiche Horseradish Sauce and Rought Cut Chips
and for myself:
Fishermans pie

Nats dish was ridiculously chewy. Spoke to the waitress when she asked how our food was and she told us "Its meant to be chewy I think but i'll ask the chef"... She then came back 5 minutes later and told us "yes, it is meant to be chewy its the cut", when asked what cut it was she said it was from the diaphragm. Now forgive me if I'm wrong but aren't chewy cuts more appropriate for slow cooking? The chips had been re-heated and were in a huge bowl just up by the loo's. No sauce present either.

My fishermans pie consisted almost entirely of potato. The seafood I got  was gritty, I thought it was a one off so spat that bit out and moved on. The next mouthful was the same and the next. We both left hungry and a bit fed up feeling we'd paid a little too much for a poor meal out.

The cocktails were good and the bellevue kriek was a nice alternative to the Timmermans I get at the Tap but beyond drinks I'm not going back to this place.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters

... "yes, it is meant to be chewy its the cut", when asked what cut it was she said it was from the diaphragm. Now forgive me if I'm wrong but aren't chewy cuts more appropriate for slow cooking?

You are 100% correct about the "chewy" cuts being more appropriate for slow cooking. I must add that I am somewhat confused about which cut it was supposed to be as well - are you sure she said the diaphragm?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Ate at the newly refurbished Cross Sythes in Totley last weekend.  Standard pub fare really but the food was ok and the 2 courses for £10 menu very reasonable.  The only downside was the complete absence of seasoning but only I seemed bothered by that.
Several beers on tap, I only tried the yummy Moonshine Pale Ale, father-in-law had the Mild which he also liked.
Service was a bit off, not poor as such, just too many staff constantly asking for your order, is everything ok, etc.  Then getting themselves mixed up and not bringing drinks that had been ordered, coffee brought out before desserts.  Put that down to teething problems.
Looks like they've stepped up in competition to the Cricket and on first testing could well take some trade away, they're certainly much cheaper and the burger, fish n chips and sos n mash were all of comparable quality.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Christ. For a moment there I thought you meant the Cross Scythes in Meersbrook. God that's an awful pub. Don't go there. Ever.

Paul B

• forum hero
diaphragm?

100% - I couldn't think of a 'Steak' cut from that area either  ;D

Thats why I didn't bother pointing out the grit in my dish, I'd no doubt get told its because fish live near sand or some other crap.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
seems slack--line is in agreement:

£3.60 is a bargain if you can close your eyes in Sheffield and make believe you're in Yosemite.

Do they sell King Cobra as well ? the true king of beers ..

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
steak pie in the grouse was top. With the kids meal you get a fab lolly afterwards which Ellie really enjoyed (kids love that sort of stuff) and everyone else was really jealous of

underground

• forum hero
Well in contrast; I ate in the Milestone last night downstairs... and it was appalling.

We both left hungry and a bit fed up feeling we'd paid a little too much for a poor meal out.

This is precisely the problem though Paul. Not directing a dig at you, I've done it before myself - 'was everything OK sir?' - 'yes, lovely thanks' - when it was in fact pish that should never have left the kitchen. Especially Peak pubs - loads of passing trade, tourists etc. who won't be back anyway or aren't bothered enough to complain because they're in the Peak having a nice time.

Had a quick meal at the Ashford Arms tonight en route to Buxton - it was OK, but I won't be making a special point of returning...

Paul B

• forum hero
I have to admit I'm fairly bad at complaining but when you point out something thats wrong and get a 'its supposed to be like that' response you're left with the decision of making a bit of a scene whilst correct them thus ruining the night out or not, I'll vote with my feet.
I've had the same response at Thyme when I ordered something with figs in it. It came with the figs replaced with pears, I pointed this out and got "oh yeah, you noticed that"... What do you do with that? They might as well say so what.
At the end of this week I'd had my once a week hissy fit when Waitrose refused to serve me alcohol (I had ID) because my Mrs. stood next to me, didn't. I kept asking how they were going to sell the bottle of red to the middle aged woman with her teenage son as he didn't have ID. She just kept repeating "its policy", "its policy" and then told me to pick it up and go back around whilst Nat waited in the car and she'd happily sell it to me. WTF?

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
100% - I couldn't think of a 'Steak' cut from that area either  ;D

I was a butcher for 12 years and like you I have no idea what could be classed as s "steak cut" from that area.

Thats why I didn't bother pointing out the grit in my dish, I'd no doubt get told its because fish live near sand or some other crap.

I worked with a guy many years ago when I was butchering and he was out for a meal one night - ordered some sort of steak and when it was served it wasn't what it was supposed to be so he complained. Long story short the chef came out and explained the anatomy of a cow and where the alleged cut had come from to which Oz replied "I have been a butcher since before you were born so I have a fair degree of knowledge on bovine anatomy. Furthermore I butchered 12 hind quarters this afternoon and I can guarantee that the steak you have sold me is not what you claim it to be." The word pwned springs to mind...  ;D

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
We had a celebratory lunch at The Forum yesterday (Raf chose the venue as we were walking past) and I was really impressed with the service, especially as it became rammed shortly after we got there. Food was really nice, just what you expect but good quality and does what it says on the tin.

The nice part was that Raf had already had a bit of lunch so just wanted some chopped red pepper and a couple of rashers of bacon. The waitress went and checked with the chef and after rechecking with us that we didn't mind paying for it as if it was a bacon sandwich said no problem. She was really helpful and friendly with him too, these things make a massive difference when dining with a three year old.

When I got the bill of £39.95 (we'd had a £20 bottle of wine) I gave her £50 and said to bring me a fiver back as I had no change to tip her. She brought back £15 saying that I'd given her a £15 tip and surely that was too much. It took me two goes to explain the maths but the point being that she was doing her best not to rip me off. As I say, the little things count for a lot.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal