UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 206995 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Lagers, re Aroma, I went there week or so ago with a few lads and thought it was excellent, but gave it four months to live, it's simply too big and they've spunked too much cash on the fit out (unless it's a massive front for money laundering / hawala banking),

The numbers just don't make sense.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
it's simply too big and they've spunked too much cash on the fit out (unless it's a massive front for money laundering / hawala banking),

The numbers just don't make sense.

Exactly what I said last night.
I'd be interested to know how the kitchen is run. Seems like they spend plenty on decent ingredients. I hope they pay the chef(s) what they are worth.
Candy Town down the road is a similar size and does fine; maybe they're aiming at a similar long term plan.

Sloper

• forum hero
The basic rule used to be that your price needs to be 330% of the cost of the ingredients so they're probably ok on that front, it's just that that rule is predicated on a reasonably full resturaunt.

Let's say on the night we were there there were 20 people eating and spent £15 each, say £300.

There were three waiting staff and I would assume 2 in the kitchen, so 6 hours at £6 per hour x 6 = £216

Ok so let's say the food and beer was £4 per head, £80 well that means they're looking at a hell of a loss when you consider their wastage, bills, licensing costs, PRS, council tax and then the cost of the building + refit.

If they were 80% full 80% of the time the numbers would probably work.  In short there's either something else going on or someone's a total fuktard and in the current climate I can't see anyone lending for a project like this and I can't imagine it's the owner's own money.

In short hawala is the most likely answer.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
we went to aroma on sat night.the food was mediocre at best.i know the guys who own it.they used to have vijays and have had cpo put on 2 previous places resulting in shit loads of wonga from sheff cc,hence the bling fit out

dave

Holler - anyone been to the Maharaj indian on Commonside? Years ago this was a very decent curryhouse called the Tajak which must have closed in about 2003/4. Then it had a vague look of a place which was being constantly refurbished for the next half a decade, they even put a new sign up and I once saw new tables and chairs, decors etc about 4 years back, and licensing application notifications on local lamp-posts, but for some reason it never reopened. Almost looked like a front for an islamist terrorist cell or something - maybe they were just filming the new chris morris film.

But it seems that it has finally reopened this last summer (I didn't notice cos I don't live there now). Has anyone been? We're going somewhere for a meal tomorrow night, I'm tempted to try it for old times sake but would hate to be disappointing. Don't get out for meals a lot these days so don't want to waste a trip out, but its always good to go somewhere "new". Anyone?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
tajak pathia made  a massive presence on my student debt back in the day...

Sloper

• forum hero
we went to aroma on sat night.the food was mediocre at best.i know the guys who own it.they used to have vijays and have had cpo put on 2 previous places resulting in shit loads of wonga from sheff cc,hence the bling fit out

Nah, I still reckon it's a hawala front.  Numbers don't work regardless of the fit out.

Paul B

• forum hero
Just about to head out and try Baan Thai, hope its good.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Just about to head out and try Baan Thai, hope its good.

Not as good as Inter Siam further along London Rd

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

What do people think is Sheffield's best Thai venue atm?

Paul B

• forum hero
nice enough, nothing amazing. Ruined slightly by the saturday nighters who were obviously going on to West St. after.

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
Holler - anyone been to the Maharaj indian on Commonside? Years ago this was a very decent curryhouse called the Tajak which must have closed in about 2003/4. Then it had a vague look of a place which was being constantly refurbished for the next half a decade, they even put a new sign up and I once saw new tables and chairs, decors etc about 4 years back, and licensing application notifications on local lamp-posts, but for some reason it never reopened. Almost looked like a front for an islamist terrorist cell or something - maybe they were just filming the new chris morris film.

But it seems that it has finally reopened this last summer (I didn't notice cos I don't live there now). Has anyone been? We're going somewhere for a meal tomorrow night, I'm tempted to try it for old times sake but would hate to be disappointing. Don't get out for meals a lot these days so don't want to waste a trip out, but its always good to go somewhere "new". Anyone?

It seems to be Italian / Indian. Curious. Its not like its "fusion" food either. It is either pizza or a curry, seems a bit odd. Whenever I walk past it seems to be dead as well, I don't really take that as a good sign. I think Rajput has taken over as the local Indian.

Plattsy

• forum hero

Inter Siam mentioned by Lagers is the best we've tried so far.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
odd day.we walked from home to the cricket.good pint decided too busy.went to the crown totley.closing down today no fod we were told.back to cricket wait an hour for table.by this time totally pissed and not noticed that a standard average in the eating roast beef lunch 16 quid.

never again

Dolly

• forum hero
That's a real shame that the Crown is closing down.
Do you know if that's  permanent ?

fatkid2000

• junky
I popped into The Crown - on Friday last week. Phil was due to leave yesterday.

Phil the lad who took over around August last year - basically can't make any money out of the place. He hasn't drawn a wage for ages. He's been under-written by his Father and they can't get it to work - the only month's he made money were August and September.

The main problem seems to be the rent and beer prices that he is charged up front - which mount to £6K. He has to pay this to 'Punch Inns' - who charge him about double what it would cost you and I to buy a barrel of beer direct from the Brewery. I paid £80 ish quid for 9 galloons from Bradfield Brewery for a wedding 18 months ago - he'd be charged £150 for the same, despite having a regular order.

Apparently Punch are somewhere near £400 million in debt - and won't change the rent or beer prices.

They are sending some management team in today and due a meeting with Phil and his Father- but I don't think they are interested in flushing any more money away on it. Punch will only sell the place for £400K and Phil reckons it can only work as a business if he could buy it for £250K.

I expect this is a common story - with the good old boozers slowly disappearing to be replaced by 'trendy pubs' like The Cricket- just up the road.

Dolly

• forum hero
Cheers for the info - as you say its a sad but not uncommon story

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
good job singletrack mag gave me a hipflask to renew my subs this year.

Hmmm.. burning indigestion from powerbars and malt scotch while spining back up abbey lane here we come

:-[

Sloper

• forum hero
The Pub Co's are a fucking disgrace, talk about the law of un intended consequences, the system that was supposed to end the brewery tie and allow for a paradise of competition has led to the reverse.

The Pub Co's however have a very powerful lobby and seem to be able to pull the wool over the OFT's eyes.

The Sir William in Grindleford used to be a free house but was bought by Greene King for £1m not so long ago, they were as a consequence asking £1100 per week in rent. Now you don't have to be an accountant to know that a small village pub won't be turning over enough to cover this.

T_B

• forum hero

All Siam on Eccy Rd.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Sloper is spot on, I posted something about this before.......

Here.

Since then one of the pubs we do the accounts for has gone bust and another is on the way.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Just took Mrs Obi and Mini-Obi down to the Milestone in Shef to catch their early bird menu. Highly recommended, their cool with kids before 7 and we had the side room to ourselves, although the main room was busy. Starter, Main and a glass or wine or pint of ale for £12. Bargain.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Inter Siam mentioned by Lagers is the best we've tried so far.

Still the top one for me, checked out Thai Punna (owned by the same people as the shop Thia Panna).  Food was nice, but nothing stand out.  Really let down by service which was slow (they missed a trick as I could easily have drunk more than the two bottles of beer I was served in the time we were there, still kept the bill down).

Back to Inter Siam (or Siam Inter, never sure which it is) next time for me.

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
Me and my lady friend went to Baan Thai a few days ago. Both eat a vegetarian meal and we both felt pretty rough later on, my girlfriend ended up being sick.
The food was really good, but the nausea thing ruined the night.
Was it Baan Thai's fault? Hard to tell. Just thought I would let you know.

Something similar happened last year when we went to Aagrah in Leopold Square. Ordered a vegetarian Thali for both of us and both ended up being sick later that night. I figure they used up any remaining vegetarian curry they had left over on us even if it was a bit questionable. Thali in England seems like a convenient way to get rid of old food.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Best start including some meat in your diet then!  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal