UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 208028 times)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
it was utter toss...
Fatdoc: The Persian is pretty good, only been once but seem to remember it was nice, if not earthshattering, in that middle eastern genre.

Been twice, 1st time thought it was pretty good, interesting menu but on second visit I was less impressed, think we had the only interesting stuff on 1st visit. Waitress was very nice though  ;) Bowie kept dropping stuff so she had to bend down to pick stuff up. Good boy Andy

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Need a recommendation for a properly swanky and exquisite restaurant at very late notice this weekend. Dinner tonight or lunch tomorrow. I don't want anywhere stuffy or pompous or too formal - needs to be a relaxed atmosphere - but somewhere with proper luxurious food please. Money no object, I've saved over two weeks food bills courtesy of NHS cuisine, I want to blow all that on one meal for me  :)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Glad your back on your feet Fiend!

You might have problems booking anywhere at such short notice

I think i'd be tempted to give the Milestone a go: http://www.the-milestone.co.uk/restaurant.asp

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Thanks B-dawg. Milestone sounds exactly what I was after. Alas they were booked up so we had a change of theme and went to Wasabisabi instead which was nice and a refreshing change.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Wasabisabi is great, love the yellow fin tuna.

Glad your out and about and on the mend Fiend.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
It lives! Got some nice stockings to replace the socks? :)

Glad you are OK.

T_B

• forum hero
Recommendation for All-Siam, the new Thai place on Eccelesall Rd, next to Spar. Haven't got their license sorted yet, so BYO. Really nice food at a decent price, well presented. I'm not a big Thai fan, but I thought it was excellent. The service is well above what you'd expect in Sheff, though they've only been open 2 weeks so clearly trying v hard. Bit bright, but comfy seats :)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Mrs FD took me to the Old Vicarage on Wednesday for my birthday.  Given its Michelin star status it's not cheap (£60 fixed price for four courses per head) but the food was fantastic, the winelist extensive and interesting and the service was great.  Highly recommended for a special occasion.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Went to the Old Vic a couple of times some years back when I still used to earn good money ;)

Like you say, not cheap by any means but the food was totally awesome. Up there with the (also *'ed) Fischers in Baslow. The wine list was pretty scary though, you could certainly get through some serious cash in that department alone.

I was a little put off by the atmosphere, very hushed and formal - was it like that when you went FD?

Also, a friend of mine went once and she had the audacity to order her meat "well done". The waitress loudly exclaimed "one ruined lamb" as she wrote the order down. Now when you're paying those prices you should be able to have your meat how the fuck you like it :lol:

Are there any 2 or 3 Michelin starred restaurants in the North? I can't afford it but it'd be worth saving up for as a special treat.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Are there any 2 or 3 Michelin starred restaurants in the North? I can't afford it but it'd be worth saving up for as a special treat.
Looking at this list, there's a 2* in North Lincolnshire, and that's about it.

It is the Winteringham Fields: 3 course A La Carte for £75, though their "Menu Surprise" at £79 sounds awesome.

Dream on Bubbs....
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:05:12 pm by Bubba »

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Last time I was at Fischer's (last September) I thought it had gone down hill a bit. The waitresss' did not have the best english, or any real knowledge of what was being served so a simple question like the provenance of the fish or meat became a bit of a rigmarole. Also they were fucking about with foams, which are tricky coves at the best of times. They were as amuse-bouche  but they didn't get right for the mains they put them in. Little bit disappointed all in all.
Rowley's their "pub", in Baslow, however was great.

dave

Rowley's their "pub", in Baslow, however was great.

yeah i've been there twice, its well weapon.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

:agree: Rowley's is great. Nice food, nice atmosphere. Went the other week with a mixed family group (aged 6 to 83) and everyone was happy.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I was a little put off by the atmosphere, very hushed and formal - was it like that when you went FD?

It was quiet when we first arrived but was busy by 8'ish which was surprising for a Wednesday.  Pretty formal, but the they had a young lad who's training to be the maitre d' who has a friendly manner and loosened the atmosphere a bit.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
they were fucking about with foams, which are tricky coves at the best of times.

Mrs FD and I went to Juniper in Altrincham a couple of years ago and everything on the menu was foam. It was bloody ridiculous. The menu was very adventurous, the staff untrained and not confident in their chef who trained under Heston but forgot to remember that you're actually supposed to be able to eat the food.  Don't bother...

a dense loner

• forum hero
since i'm not as sophisticated as you guys i have to keep it real with non-michelin curries. went to zara's last night in crux. best curry i've had in shef, prob by quite a way. tho the waiter let himself down a bit by admitting he didn't know what provenance was

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
the kofta balti for the Shimul is hard to beat up at the norton roundabout... as is their chicken Naga.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
Anyone been to East and West on Abbeydale?  Have heard good reports but interested to here from the UKB gastrognomes........

cofe

• forum hero
heard they does the good takeaway yes please. keen to try some of dat.

dave

had a takeaway from there last week. awesome fucking welles.

dave

tho the waiter let himself down a bit by admitting he didn't know what provenance was

did you expect him to be an expert on the south of france?

T_B

• forum hero
Anyone been to East and West on Abbeydale?  Have heard good reports but interested to here from the UKB gastrognomes........

Been there once. More of a take away place or somewhere to go on a first date to see whether she's really interested  :-\

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer

Been there once. More of a take away place or somewhere to go on a first date to see whether she's really interested  :-\

That's perfect then coz my missus still isn't sure whether she's interested after 25 years.......

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Has anyone tried The Saffron Club?

:wave: Went last week and go every few months or so.  Pretty good curries, the Jingha Puree starter is delicious.  Staff are very efficient and polite too.

We went here on Saturday. Got a table at short notice and were really impressed. Lovely food, excellent service and not expensive. Nice one for the recommendation slackers.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
East and West on Abbeydale?
I wasn't overly keen but that may be down to me being a bit fussy.  :-[  It's an interesting menu but most of the pancake type things, of which there are a lot, didn't sound particularly appetising to me, it does seem to get good reviews from others though so don't let me sway your decision.

Definitely agree that it's a takeaway more than a sit in place, unless you are really not bothered about impressing.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal