UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 206466 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Pretty impressed with Urban 1/4 down on Kelham Island this weekend. Took the kids early Sat night. A textbook example of keep it simple but do it well. Great gourmet burgers in lovely brioche buns with tasty sides and sauces. Not huge portions but fine and you need to leave room for the freshly made doughnuts for pudding.  :yes: Prices just about right and not ripping you off for sides and toppings etc. A fine selection of interesting beer and gin also on offer. Burgers, doughnuts, beer, gin. What else is there?

T_B

• forum hero
Check out Craft and Dough next door. Seems to be getting v popular as the Pizzas are great, as is the beer. And it's good value.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Thats interesting Toby, I thought Urban 1/4 was a rip off, you do get ripped off for sides and sauces etc. Food was ok, shakes were shit, beer was £4.60 for any small bottle, and the freshly made doughnuts were an absolute joke at just over one fuck all for a tiny doughnut. Won't ever be going back there. Handmade Burger any day of the wk, food and shakes just so much better.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Talking of burgers, went to Tamper at Sellers Wheel on Arundel Street last weekend. Whilst not exactly a bargain, and pretty hipsterish, the burger itself was very good indeed. All the other menu items looked nice and judging how packed it was, I guess it's pretty consistent. Either that or there are more people who enjoy drinking out of handled jam jars in Sheffield than I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Thats interesting Toby, I thought Urban 1/4 was a rip off, you do get ripped off for sides and sauces etc. Food was ok, shakes were shit, beer was £4.60 for any small bottle, and the freshly made doughnuts were an absolute joke at just over one fuck all for a tiny doughnut. Won't ever be going back there. Handmade Burger any day of the wk, food and shakes just so much better.
We tried a shake and rated it and didn't think the doughnuts were that small, for a doughnut? Didn't check the price of the beer TBH but the bill came to less that £50 for two adults plus two kids which I thought was OK. I do like HM Burger but its a bit chainish, that said last time me and Cofe went there we got half price burgers and 8 free beers, so it would be hard to beat on price!

psychomansam

• forum hero
Talking of burgers, went to Tamper at Sellers Wheel on Arundel Street last weekend. Whilst not exactly a bargain, and pretty hipsterish, the burger itself was very good indeed. All the other menu items looked nice and judging how packed it was, I guess it's pretty consistent. Either that or there are more people who enjoy drinking out of handled jam jars in Sheffield than I thought.

Had some very good fish there a while back. It's so busy it almost feels like a canteen at times, but the food is good.

psychomansam

• forum hero
I'm not sure if it's been covered but the Baji Shop on Chesterfield Road was very nice imo. Small place which does good food in a good atmosphere with pleasant staff.
Been once and might well go again at some point. Definitely worth a visit just for being different. Food was good too though. As were prices.

Simon W

• menacing presence
Been been working my way through some of the gourmet burgers in Sheffield recently, winner so far is Bungalows and Bears, 2-4-1 on tuesday a bargain too. Lucky Fox and The Harley also knocking out some pretty decent stuff.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Something a little bit different but I have to recommend this highly - my birthday treat last night: http://www.buddingtons.com

Really friendly and down to earth couple who'll come and cook up a storm in your own kitchen. Leslie is head chef at Brocco on the Park (never been but now it's on my list) and the food was up there with some of the best I've had.

Expensive for two but you pay a one-off fee for the chef, then a per-person charge on top of that depending upon the menu so if there's six of you it's just the same price as a decent restaurant.

We had a mainly seafood menu which was fantastic and left me gobsmacked that somebody could create such a meal in our tired old kitchen.

Added bonus of no washing up to be done :)

http://www.twitter.com/buddingtons
http://www.facebook.com/buddingtons

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 08:54:45 am by Bubba »

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Decent meal at Peppercorn last night. They do a mid-week menu (mains £10, starters and desserts £5) which you can mix and match with the a la carte. All dishes impressive. Good service. Recommended.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Not really a restaurant, but Seven Hills Bakery is great. Strange combination of cafe, grocer and bakery. Strange in a good way.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Good. The Old Vicarage offers fine dining but it comes with a terrible atmosphere & snotty service; generally the whole place is just far too up it's own arse. I actually witnessed a work colleague being ridiculed for her food choice by the waitress (think it was the manageress/owner); totally out of order anywhere let alone when you're paying such high prices. Fischer's on the other hand is excellent, go there instead.

At a far less wallet-straining level than the above we had a really nice anniversary meal at Rafters tonight - varied, interesting food; wine that isn't a pisstake on the markup front and really nice staff - would go again.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
+1 for Rafters from me too. Has my 40th birthday meal in there and whilst the latter parts of the meal are somewhat hazy, I do recall the food and wine being excellent.

Whyatt

• menacing presence
Newish burger restaurant called Urban near gready Greek does excellent gourmet burgers seating is kinda of small but excellent food rosemary chips are good too check it out

a dense loner

• forum hero
Wanted to go rafters for years but never made it, it's our anniversary tomos but I'll wait for a special occasion

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
 :clap2:Got to be the near longest serving above the norm but not up its arse restaurant in sheff....?? My wife went there... As my " sig other" 22 years ago on a got to go works do and I'm thinking we should go back, for the Lols!!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Fuck it, doing the 20 yr anniversary there in a couple of weeks!!! booked. BOOM.

Tommy

• junky
Torn.... do I book The Milestone or Marco At Milano? I've been to the latter a couple of times and thought it was great, but never The Milestone.

I don't mind paying for good food, but I do hate paying mediocre prices for mediocre food (and both of these fit in that mid-range). Anyone been recently to either and pass opinion?

Thanks!

T_B

• forum hero
Friends have had their bookings at Marco's cancelled a couple of times recently as "the chef's in Italy"  :-\

Milestone is always good in my experience.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Torn.... do I book The Milestone or Marco At Milano? I've been to the latter a couple of times and thought it was great, but never The Milestone.

I don't mind paying for good food, but I do hate paying mediocre prices for mediocre food (and both of these fit in that mid-range). Anyone been recently to either and pass opinion?

Thanks!
Neither, try Peppercorn.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Never been to the Milestone but went to M@M a few weeks back having not been for a few years, still the same as it was even down to some of the same options on the menu, the food was good like always but I was slightly disappointing that it hasn't moved on and some of the waiters were a bit brusque.  I won't be rushing to go back there again, it used to be my favourite restaurant but I think my visits to Rafters in summer were preferable, the menu had changed in the four weeks between those visits and it's different again, quite tempted by another visit now I've looked it up again.

And like Obi says, Peppercorn is good too, just the same as it was under the previous management.

psychomansam

• forum hero
We fairly regularly go to the Milestone for their early bird menu which is a great price. Had some gorgeous steak last time and the food ranges from good to great. Portion sizes aren't huge but even three courses is pretty cheap on early bird. Would happilympay full prices if going for a celebration and suspect the non-cheapo menu might produce bigger portions. Its a gastropub, on which opinions vary.

Tommy

• junky
Ah cool, many thanks everyone. I'll take Marco off the list.

I've been meaning to go to Rafters - coincidentally was looking at the menu the other night. Right, looks like I might have to do a couple of trips to cover options! My wife won't complain  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal