UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 206448 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Sorry not from me but I ended up in Zeugma II the other night and had a fairly average meal, the low point being one of the deserts served in a silver foil takeout container, the other taking an age to appear and they're card machine failing and thus a soaking to pay the bill.

dave

the low point being one of the deserts served in a silver foil takeout container

I had that same desert recently in Zuegma I. To be fair it was nice but presentation piss poor. After having that place relentlessly bigged up by various parties I was a bit disappointed, and both me and her indoors had mildly upset stomachs the next day too.

The turkish place on west street "instanbul" I rated better.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Went to Patoo Thai a couple of weeks ago, primarily because the nearby All Siam was full. Serviceable Thai - friendly service and quite a nice atmosphere but the food nothing spectacular - slightly over garlic-ed and under chilli - d in my opinion. Nothing was actively bad, just nothing fantastic.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Had a great night last night at Vittles, Broomhill experiencing their 'tasting menu' for Mrs Obi's bday. Mick, (who is front of house/owner but also creates most of the dishes but doesn't do the cooking) welcomed us with his usual warm manner.

They charge £25 a head. We had 6 courses and two cocktails (but it does vary). There was a Groupon (now expired) and I think there is currently an Amazon Local offer but TBH your better off paying Mick cash directly. It works out the same or cheaper. They do it on a Thurs, Fri, Sat evening alongside their normal bistro menu. You need to book in advance.

Part of the fun is the surprise of what's coming next, so I won't go into detail. Suffice to say the various dishes used 'air', 'dust', mousse, soup, liquid, and a very special pill amongst other elements.

I say 'tasting menu' but most courses were full servings so it almost an eating challenge! I really enjoyed it all, if I was being super picky the 'main' was the only one that didn't wow us, but Mick admitted they had put this in so people felt they had a 'proper' meal. It was tasty just didn't match the other dishes for imagination or fun.

The surroundings are still very much 'cafe', but if you took this menu, put it in a place down south with posh plates, cutlery, table linen and posh loos. Gave Mick a waistcoat and a french accent you'd be paying £75-100 a head and it would have lost half the charm and fun.

I can't remember the last time food made me giggle so much. (Possibly helped by the bottle of Champagne we had along with the generous cocktails  :alky: )

At £25 per head for 6 courses and two cocktails, can't think of many more fun (and legal) ways to spend 10 fuck-alls.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 12:41:13 pm by Obi-Wan is lost... »

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Any know of good quality BYO restaurants. Myself, Joe Picalli, Seb and Andy Popp are jointly celebrating our 50th's and we will be consuming some rather nice wines and we need somewhere to eat.  :alky: :beer2: :pissed:

Any thoughts. Andy is vegan just to add another layer!

(Marco's does it midweek but not on weekends  >:( )

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
And so continues Alderson's birthyear......  :icon_beerchug:

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Ta

Does Taste still exist, website doesn't seem to exist

Anyone been to La Luna?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Otto's looks like a good option for vegan diets too, not sure if the food is any good but gets reasonable write ups on the usual suspect review sites

Dolly

• forum hero
Only been to Otto's once but had a great time and the food was good

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I too have enjoyed an evening at Otto's, been meaning to get back there myself.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Does Taste still exist, website doesn't seem to exist

Just clicked that Taste was the Italian place near Hunters Bar Roundabout?  Think it's still there in some form but no longer Taste, shame they did awesome breakfasts.

monkey boy

• forum hero
Taste has gone and has been replaced by Xenophily Cafe. I haven't been but there are some reviews here-
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186364-d4047079-Reviews-Xenophily_Cafe-Sheffield_South_Yorkshire_England.html

I rate Urban Choola. It's bring your own and the food is good and offers a different selection to most Indians. It is also cheap as chips.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Taste has gone and has been replaced by Xenophily Cafe. I haven't been but there are some reviews here-
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186364-d4047079-Reviews-Xenophily_Cafe-Sheffield_South_Yorkshire_England.html

I rate Urban Choola. It's bring your own and the food is good and offers a different selection to most Indians. It is also cheap as chips.

I read that as bring your own food, now there's a business model!

monkey boy

• forum hero

I read that as bring your own food, now there's a business model!

That would make it cheap!!

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
Just found out that Artisan has closed. :(

Real shame, had some excellent dinners out there. Apparently several independents closed in the last 3 months, too much competition from the chains.

dave

Apparently the artisan unit is going to be an indian, so all is not lost.

Tommy

• junky
I went to Urban Choola and thought it was absolutely awful! Sorry Dave.

Unless we had completely different stuff you a got lucky? Or were drunk ;-)

andy popp

• forum hero
I too have enjoyed an evening at Otto's, been meaning to get back there myself.

Seb, Joe, Graeme and I did end up at Otto's last weekend and I think we were all pretty happy. Nice atmosphere,  staff were fantastic and I really enjoyed the food.  I'd definitely go back.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
First poor meal at my previously beloved Kashmiri aroma.. Some tweeks to the menu.. Perhaps new chef... Way way too much salt.. Will recheck viraj..... Very sad.

Tommy

• junky
Oh no! Kashmir Aroma was my favourite Indian in Sheffield. Was it normal a la carte or buffet night?

a dense loner

• forum hero
Every nights a la carte night at Kashmiri, no buffets needed. I go here about 3x a wk when in shef, this is disturbing news Fatdoc. Can you get to the root of this? As for viraj I thought it was absolutely terrible, I was surprised when they asked me to pay

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Was a busy Saturday....  I'm not giving up on the place yet.

I constrain myself to once a month.

Get there Dense, second opinion sought

Tommy

• junky
3 times a week?! How the hell do you not weigh 18stone?  ;D

I think your opinion on this is going to count as that's what I call being a proper regular. I'm much like Fatdoc and only a once a month boy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal