UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 206009 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Been to Homemade for lunch a couple of times recently and, both times, have found it to be excellent ......... Good. well informed staff and a great selection of vegetarian food .......   
That's good to hear as I think it changed hands a few months back.

fatkid2000

• junky
Yeap - homemade now owned the girls who previously owned Thelma's on Sharrow vale road.

Hopefully they will actually open it more than the previous owners. Every time I've wanted to go it's been closed, I gave up even going to see it was ever open.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
They're now open from 10.00 till 3.00 tuesday to saturday and for a few evenings as well ........

Paul B

• forum hero
Every time I've wanted to go it's been closed, I gave up even going to see it was ever open.

Ditto.

Nigel

• forum hero

Some people had pea soup to start with- which sounds boring - but it was creamy cumminy, olive oily bowl wipingly good.

I do know what you're trying to say here, but on first reading it conjured a worrying "Michael Winner" image...

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
Anyone on here got experience of Le Bistrot Pierre on eccy road or The Mediterranean on Sharrow Vale?
Torn between the two for a meal on Monday evening, opinions please?
Good veggie or fish options would be handy so The Med is looking good for that but Le Bistrot looks fancy....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Not been for quite some time but i've never been dissapointed by the Med's cuisine.

Get's a good rep on Tripadvisor (FWIW)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Bistro Pierre is ok but pretty standard chain stuff. Not fancy like it looks from the outside.

I've not been to the Med but it looks a better bet for proper home cooked type ting.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Off out to Kashmiri aroma tonight.. Simply never fails. Best curry in town

Tommy

• junky
On the money Fatdoc. I keep telling people about this place as it's hands down the best curry in Sheffield right now.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Just been there for the first time while the kids were at a party. I do like Almas but have to agree it was great all round, can't be faulted.

fatkid2000

• junky
Looks like back of house, the place where kitchen was has closed - sheets up over windows. Either that or they are decorating?

Paul B

• forum hero
Since getting back we've ended up eating out a fair bit (seeing family etc.).

Loch Fyne - I don't know why we've only been here twice, it's really good and the prices seem fairly reasonable.

All Siam, Eccy Rd. - Quite good although not as good as the first time I visited, less reasonable prices when compared with other Thai places in Sheffield.

Fox & Hound - I hadn't been here in ages, nice inside but with a fairly average attempt at upmarket food pub. They'd run out of their 'signature pies' which seemed fairly daft.

T_B

• forum hero
Had lunch at Homemade yesterday. Delicious haloumi pitta and salads. Kids food really good too - cheese/houmous with salad/veg nibbles.  Excellent coffee and tiffin cake. V busy and service a bit slow but friendly staff and overall great value. If you're veggie/gluten free etc especially.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Off out to Kashmiri aroma tonight.. Simply never fails. Best curry in town

As mentioned earlier in the thread Viraaj just down the road is top notch too. Mrs S actually preferred it although I'd say on a par with Kashmiri Aroma.

Simon W

• menacing presence
Not sure if it's had a mention on here on not yet but if you like South Indian then Maveli on Glossop road is well worth a shout.  Bit like East and West on Abbeydale road but more restaurant than hole in the wall. Lovely dosas!

psychomansam

• forum hero
I've been to the new tamper coffee shop + cafe twice recently. It's basically opposite Fusion, another great Sheffield spot.

First time I was rather unimpressed with their drink selection. This is because I'm fussy! I'm sure their coffee is some of the best in the city and they do a great selection of fruit and  herbal teas, but I have stomach problems and they didn't have decaf tea or redbush tea. I got a chocolate milkshake and thought it was horrible, though the other half liked  it. Service was a bit slow, but for a good reason - their popularity means they're frequently packed, and it's table service unlike *$ etc.

That said, the place is done up great inside, making proper use of the industrial unit. Gotta love the arched brick ceiling.

But I'd heard the food was good, so we went back last weekend. I was armed with a redbush teabag which they happily made up into a pot for me. Service was very good and friendly. Nice atmosphere. I ordered red snapper. £9. I felt that was a bit expensive for lunch in a coffee shop. Then it came. The fish was beautifully seasoned and cooked to perfection, juicy. And there were essentially two portions of it! The potato chipped cubes, the homemade tartare, the veg accompanying were just absolutely stunning. Memorable. It was a proper meal, good portion and spectacular cooking. I could have gone to a restaurant, spent twice as much and felt like it was money well spent.

The other half had an omelette, which was also very good.

Thought someone on here might want some lunch out at some point. Here is good. Fusion, opposite is good (but with shorter opening hours) and even the Showroom is supposedly good with their new chef in, but we've not tried them yet.

All good if you want to eat then watch a film!

psychomansam

• forum hero
Also, if you want some quicker, even less ceremonious food, Street Food Chef is just down the road. Great burritos for fuck all. Open all day. Win.

Also, this young lady is good resource, though I suspect I've mentioned her before. http://girlwhoatetheworld.blogspot.co.uk/

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I've been to the new tamper coffee shop + cafe twice recently. It's basically opposite Fusion, another great Sheffield spot.

Has it moved or have they opened another one? :confused:

psychomansam

• forum hero

Has it moved or have they opened another one? :confused:

They've opened up an additional much larger one with lots of seating and a food menu.

underground

• forum hero
Also, if you want some quicker, even less ceremonious food, Street Food Chef is just down the road. Great burritos for fuck all. Open all day. Win.

Also, this young lady is good resource, though I suspect I've mentioned her before. http://girlwhoatetheworld.blogspot.co.uk/
2 fuck alls. I find them bland and expensive myself, preferring Pirates Pasties (it has a new Spanish name now) in Orchard Square. The falafel place is alright in that row of shops on Pinstone street and the chinese is very cheap. Not tried it but my mate rated it when we called in (I'd taken sarnies).

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Jasper, as another woodseats resident I too have sampled viraaj, it's bloody good.

Have to say, the spices and aromatics I thought were better in kashmri aroma, though both are great venues... With blistering service ( a very important aspect for me and the mrs)

Mrs FD rates the fish in KR as one of the best eating out experiences in the city... I rate the higher chilli content dishes there as as good as Bradford, b'ham etc....

That lamb afghani is the best plate of curry  I've eaten in Sheffield,30+ years of curry!!! ...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
To compare to other famous places.... Both are way better than mumtaz was 6 years ago in Bradford...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
First visit to the Chi Cha Inn in Broomhill last night. Overall very impressed. Ordered some fairly standard Chinese mains which were very nicely done and delicious, not too heavy on the MSG. Nice to see Dim Sum on offer for starters. Above average surroundings and staff were great with two rather tired and hungry kids who weren't' quite on their best behaviour. (Some live music on a Chinese guitar type thing helped cover their noise!)

Prices were ok, maybe slightly above London Road but not at all bad. Two starters, two mains, egg fried rice, veg dish, one pudding (divided into two generous kids portions), three beers came to £50.

Generally recommended. Hope they stay put. Seemed rather over staffed (which did mean service was great), they weren't busy when we arrived although it was early, getting busier as we left.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Any recent recommendations? Mrs Obis b'day coming up. Want to book somewhere 'kitchen-esque'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal