UKBouldering.com

bouldering mats on planes? (Read 4233 times)

the reach

bouldering mats on planes?
August 15, 2008, 08:48:46 pm
hey there....

going to font end of october....how do i get my boulder matts out there without getting charged alot of money...because i got flights for 30 pounds and noticed the extra weight for lugguge is pretty expensive?!

any advice anyone? :please:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:10:25 pm by Bubba, Reason: speeling »

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: boulder matts on planes?
August 15, 2008, 09:22:57 pm
who are the flights with?
bouldering mats weigh relatively nothing, its the fact they are sports equipment that some of the airlines are cottoning onto.
We normally try to blag them as sleeping mats but the bitch at ryan air tried to charge us. luckily we got away with it that time.
Was thinking of purchasing a triple fold briefcase style mat like Clm's specifically for taking on planes as they look more like a bag than sports equipment

the reach

#2 Re: boulder matts on planes?
August 16, 2008, 11:38:17 am
easy jet :oops:

Steve R

• forum abuser
#3 Re: boulder matts on planes?
August 16, 2008, 12:15:34 pm
I've seen from other threads, a few people on here have flown with canadian affair.  Experiences with taking pads on CA flights anyone?  (off to squamish 1 week today :bounce:)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#4 Re: boulder matts on planes?
August 16, 2008, 02:08:11 pm
fine

Stef

• player
#5 Re: boulder matts on planes?
August 30, 2008, 07:14:38 pm
Do you alreaddy have your accomodation ?
If not, then try Stef at leclosdutertre@wanadoo.fr or on www.bonadresse.com/ile-de-france/la-chapelle-la-reine.htm
very nice & cool B&B & Gite at a walking distance to the climbing areas that rent crash pads at a nice & cool price.
Cheers.

n_man

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: boulder matts on planes?
August 30, 2008, 09:01:38 pm
Budget airlines ain't so budget on this one. My experience with Ryan Air is shocking.  :wank:
If you get the chance just try pay one way, they ain't so anal abroad. We did this once and they just looked at the ticket and thought we'd already paid for our pads!

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#7 Re: boulder matts on planes?
August 30, 2008, 11:10:14 pm
I found a lot of people staying with me have just rented pads as its cheaper than paying the extra, I charge 20 euros for the week, and if you are not staying with me i can hook up with you in the forest to give you the mats. just a thought. not trying to advertise

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: boulder matts on planes?
August 31, 2008, 08:26:04 am
unlike other people.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl

Stef

• player
#10 Re: boulder matts on planes?
September 01, 2008, 08:57:31 am
Sa Chris, should I just added " just a thought, nothing to advertise " ???
Hi Neil, how's things doing on ?
Cheers,
Stef.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#11 Re: boulder matts on planes?
September 01, 2008, 09:43:29 am
Sa Chris, should I just added " just a thought, nothing to advertise " ???
Hi Neil, how's things doing on ?
Cheers,
Stef.

The best way to add a figleaf of legitimacy to blatant advertising is to slip it in as part of a long conversation rather than only posting in order to advertise.

underground

• forum hero
#12 Re: boulder matts on planes?
September 01, 2008, 12:58:55 pm
here's an idea for stef - how about stopping the blatant advertising, thus addressing people's concerns over this, and add a discreet mention of whatever it is you offer, in your signature instead?

Then whenever you make a contribution to the forum that isn't to advertise, your stuff still gets displayed, and the more of a contribution you make, the more mentions you get.

If neilh did this he'd have his gite mentioned nearly 500 times already...

Stef

• player
#13 Re: boulder matts on planes?
September 02, 2008, 09:54:35 am
 u r very right, I agree, and maybe clumsily or unconscienly it is how I mean it when posting.
I think about going dtraight to my contribution on the forum, not turning or sneaking around the subject to hide what I can offer, but maybe u r right again, and I should be a little more "sales man" though I really don't think that would cope with the spirit of the forum.
You also need to understand that my english isn't that good, that I may do wrong meanng in my writing and in my reading.
However, check me up on the next subject !!! ahaha!!!

Cheers,
Stef.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#14 Re: boulder matts on planes?
September 02, 2008, 02:11:22 pm

If neilh did this he'd have his gite mentioned nearly 500 times already...

I dont need my gite mentioned, hense no advertising, everyone knows who I am already

underground

• forum hero
#15 Re: boulder matts on planes?
September 02, 2008, 02:16:42 pm
who are you, cos i don't...? anyway the point I was making was that neil makes a lot of posts and hence contributes to the forum, without mentioning whatever it is in every post - and by doing so no matter what the post was about, would get exposure in his signature.

If Stef desisted from making the posts directly pushing the whatever, and only had exposure in the signature, the effect would be markedly less unless the contribution to the forum was increased on a more genral level.

dave

#16 Re: boulder matts on planes?
September 02, 2008, 06:35:51 pm
plus, if people want to they can chose to disable signatures from being visible.

Stef

• player
#17 Re: boulder matts on planes?
September 03, 2008, 09:15:58 am
Being back on "boulder mats on plane", any low cost company would charge for any type of luggage. regular companies are more like considering number and total weight.
Unless you are into circuiting, a crash-pad is a real need so always worth having it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal