UKBouldering.com

Shed bouldering wall (Read 8651 times)

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
Shed bouldering wall
September 16, 2008, 02:58:32 pm
As title really. Im going to make a little bouldering wall in the shed in the back garden. Its about 3.5m long, 2.5m wide and between 1.9 and 2.2m high. I thought that it would be ok for a little 30-45 degree overhanging training board. I really love the board at mile end they have in the campus room and want to get some similar problems in the shed. I boulder about 7a at the moment but am finding that now im working 9-5, by the time I get home and get down to UEA wall its about 6.30 - 7 and if they are busy then you are kicked out after an hour and a half of crap climbing because there are too many people there to climb for your full hour and a half.

So the home wall seems like a good idea for my sanity and rage management.

Im going to measure it properly tonight but my main question is: How much will this cost roughly and does anyone have any pointers on construction based on the fact it needs to be freestanding. Holds im not worried about at the moment but I would like to know how much the structure will cost to build.

Any help would be awesome. Cheers.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#2 Re: Shed bouldering wall
September 16, 2008, 03:09:19 pm
3x2 & 2x2 about a quid a metre, quality 8 foot x 4 foot 18mm ply sheets approx 20 squid. T nuts 6 pence each(don't pay more)....
About 30 quid per 8x4 so about 1 English pound per square foot. You say you have less than 2 metres height so you could probably get away with a couple of old piss ridden mattresses as proper matting will blow your budget faster than a night with TPT. Check out the board-share thread for some ideas also.

Stallion.(me not you)

PS. Oh yes, I have trademarked the word 'Shed' when used in conjuction with 'bouldering wall'. Simply by using it as a thread title you owe me a fiver.( and another fiver every time you think about 'shed' from now on). Thats 10 ponds to Mr Roberto 'the Stallion' Stallioni, the Shed, Huddersfield. (make that 15 quid)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:17:02 pm by robertostallioni, Reason: Trademark amendment »

account_inactive

• forum hero
#3 Re: Shed bouldering wall
September 16, 2008, 05:56:19 pm
The wall at M/E is 50 degrees, but you already knew that.  Don't build the wall at 35 as it's not high enough and you will get board.  Go for 45/50 and you will have more panel length to play on

philo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Shed bouldering wall
September 16, 2008, 06:01:51 pm
im thinking of doing the same, a big(ish) shed built just for a 45-50 degree board, the only thing the shed will have in it is the board so ill mangle it to the wall/wall to wall fixing. looking of getting at least 5 moves in.  if i have to bodge the shed then so be it. ill make my board fit! you only need to tnut the boards right? after that you can do everything from the climbing side(visable) one right?  i hope. 

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Shed bouldering wall
September 18, 2008, 11:52:34 am
Cheers for the info guys. Im thinking of getting the moon school room set of holds because it seems like the best value for money at the moment. Any views on these holds?

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Shed bouldering wall
September 18, 2008, 01:16:50 pm
In the school there are 4 boards, one 50, one 30, one 15, and one 40 moon board. I rarely see anyone climbing on the latter and its all down to the holds, they are hurty sharp little things, granted a few of them are ok but I wouldn't pay good money for them.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Shed bouldering wall
September 18, 2008, 02:10:02 pm
Any other recommendations. Holds do seem pretty expensive, about £25 for 5 holds seems average at a lot of places. I dont know how many I will need for the wall based on the fact it will probably be 3 8x4 sheets in size.

philo

• forum hero
#8 Re: Shed bouldering wall
September 18, 2008, 03:54:10 pm
make a couple out of wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal