UKBouldering.com

Possible A2 pulley injury and preventative taping (Read 1920 times)

craig geddes

• I'm awesome at falling off...
    • Just my blog, rarely used but reasonably interesting
Asking about the benefits of preventative taping for a particular exercise.

Engaged in a variety of training at the moment concentrating on maximum finger strength using rock rings and a weighted rucksack (progressive overload) plus general conditioning.

6 weeks ago I reached the point where I was hanging the 3/4" hold (open hand, well curved edge) with 3.75kg (this is around 1/4th of what I can take on the 1 3/8" edge and about 1kg less than I can use on a sloper) but the second time I did this I started suffering pain around the base of my ring finger left hand, probably A2 pulley area. 

I was due a rest anyway so took two weeks off and then slowly built myself back up from 2.75kg thinking this would give the tendon time to both heal and strengthen.  However I hit 3.75kg again last night and felt a noticeable pop just a few seconds into the exercise.

Obviously I'm now resting it and taking ibuprofen etc but it's going to be a problem if I've hit a ceiling with this exercise. 

My question is should I use preventative taping anytime I’m working it beyond this level?  I'm concerned that doing so will mean the tendon will never get strong enough to take higher loads which will always be a problem for dynamic moves or for crimps which will put more strain on it.

I'm due to enter a power endurance phase so it will be taking lower loads during that and then a rest over Christmas before a pure stamina and conditioning phase so this will give the tendon more time operating at lower loads.

Either way advice and opinions welcome - and any good texts on the matter (books or online) would also be helpful.

Thank you,
Craig

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Point 1:  Muscles get stonger fairly quickly.
Point 2:  tendons do not.
Point 3:  I suspect you are trying to advance too quickly.
Point 4:  I wouldn't strap the A2, you will still do harm without knowing it.
Point 5:  this post was brought to you by the R-Man List Co.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal