UKBouldering.com

Peak Pubs - booze & grub (Read 77230 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#175 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 04, 2015, 08:13:28 pm
Went to the Druid the other day...been many times before but not for ages.

Cozy venue, solid range of quality ales (CAMRA award winning boozer), comprehensive & interesting menu.

Shame the food was overcooked and dry. Waitress and barmaid seemed rushed off their feet and this was mid-week lunchtime (though to be fair was very busy).

Suspect it'd be much better outside of the school holidays. I want to like the place as I've had such great food there in the past.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#176 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 05, 2015, 10:26:43 am
In town Moca is great for beer. Not food though.

The Boat in cromford is good for food and beer. Ashover has The Old Poets Corner with its own brewery. The White Lion in Starkholmes above High Tor is also worth a look and handy parking for the crag on a busy day.

Hydraulic Man

• player
#177 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 05, 2015, 02:26:04 pm
If your in the Wirksworth area try the Barley Bow in Kirk Ireton. Beer from a jug, no food or other distractions. 4 proper ales straight from the barrel (no taps)

2 ladies behind the bar can be a bit 'blunt' to say the least but is an experience none the less. Probably best enjoyed in the winter with a big fire and someone else driving.....The Hartington IPA comes recommended.

fried

• forum hero
#178 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 05, 2015, 03:50:26 pm
Three stags head in Darley dale was my top find in May. Good beer, super friendly, I only had a sandwich and some curly fries as a snack but it was a helping and cheap. Nice garden too, although we were inside.

Hydraulic Man

• player
#179 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 14, 2016, 06:39:38 pm
Moon at Stoney has been refurbed and serves a decent pint. Was packed and the food is allegedly very good.

More importantly and signalling the start of a Peak Limestone trad renaissance this summer Tom Proctor is back on the wall next to the dart board looking like he still might pull into the groove on Menopause without blowing his tendons.

He's been hiding in someones house the last few years...........

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#180 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
February 21, 2016, 09:05:32 pm
Another spot on visit to the Royal Oak at Hurdlow. Catered for 21 of us inc 10 kids after a wet and windy stint on the Tissington trail. Fab roasts came out fast, fresh and hot. Proper portions. Great beer. Kids meals decent at sensible prices. Open fires.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dolly

• forum hero
#181 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 06, 2016, 09:41:45 pm
I went to The Maynard Arms in Grindleford for the second time today.
It was the best meal I've had this year bar none.
Very friendly, great service and good value. We were on a planning day with work in a lovely art deco furnished room.
We ate outside and nothing was too much trouble including a couple of unasked for but lovely lemon sorbets between courses
I'm already planning when to go again

http://www.themaynard.co.uk/restaurant/our-menus#1471881071526-1d38b1e0-c189

haydn jones

• forum hero
#182 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 08, 2016, 07:51:45 pm
I've  got family visiting this sunday and was wondering wheres best to go for sunday lunch. I was thinkimg one of the peak pubs sheffield side i.e fox house, the grouse, chequers inn ect never been to any of them. Was hoping for some peoples advoce on which pub is the best on this side of the peak

Duncan campbell

• junky
#183 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 09, 2016, 08:33:57 am
Grouse is pretty good. But it's also the only one I've been too.

dave

#184 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 09, 2016, 09:09:49 am
A good source of peak pub recommendations is the 7 pages of forum posts directly preceding Haydn's post.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#185 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 09, 2016, 09:50:14 am
Fox house and Dore moor are part of the same chain and reliable, although they tend to occasionally lurch disastrously towards trying to be more gastro e.g. six giant chips stacked as a log cabin. Grouse is old school pub grub, limited and arguably dated menu but they do it well and it's family run. Norfolk arms is a bit variable, was good last time I ate there but landlord reputedly a bit of a dick. Millstone is ok, not as good as it was a few years back. If you are cheap and hungry hit up the Moorlands at Owler bar, it's like a Wetherspoons with a view, big carvery for a fiver.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#186 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 09, 2016, 09:52:22 am
I went to The Maynard Arms in Grindleford for the second time today.
It was the best meal I've had this year bar none.
Very friendly, great service and good value.

haydn jones

• forum hero
#187 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 09, 2016, 10:21:29 am
Cheers guys thanks for in input. Given me a few options :)

SamT

• forum hero
#188 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 09, 2016, 10:22:56 am
Was at the Plough in Hathersage recently in the evening recently for a meal.  Bit over priced I'd say.  The food was OK, nothing wrong per se,  but certainly not worth the money we paid for it.

Cricketers in Dore?? (I've never actually been in!)
On a similar note, whats the Peacock at Owler Bar like these days??

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#189 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 09, 2016, 10:32:16 am
If you are cheap and hungry hit up the Moorlands at Owler bar, it's like a Wetherspoons with a view, big carvery for a fiver.

It's a fiver Mon-Sat, the price rockets to almost £8 on a Sunday (although kids get free food so works out the same for families). Still a better Sunday lunch and better value than the Peacock or Cross Scythes in the immediate vicinity though.  Go there quite a bit, the kids love it - £4 for meat and veg that they wolf down then go back for seconds vs double that for a plate of pasta just because it comes with a baloon.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#190 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 09, 2016, 10:41:14 am
Cricketers in Dore?? (I've never actually been in!)

The Crown just down the road now does good food at a fraction of the cost. Proper home made stuff - pies, chips made from potatoes, even the kids pizzas and fish fingers are homemade.  Used to have a bad rep for not being very welcoming but has changed hands a few times, you can even prderat your table now.

Only ever been once for Sunday dinner and would just go to the Moorlands instead.

T_B

• forum hero
#191 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 09, 2016, 10:42:44 am

I went with the family over half term. The service was very good (though it was early/quiet) and personally I like the big room; it doesn't feel crammed and has some nice old beams. Anyway, the food was fine for chain pub food, kids meals were pretty good. Mrs T_B was unimpressed that the 'twice cooked' chips were not home made. It's nicer than the similarly-priced Wheatsheaf in Baslow, but without the play area (not an issue at this time of year). I had a good pint of Landlord. They serve food all day, unlike a lot of places that don't do food until 6pm, which is why we ended up there.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#192 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 09, 2016, 05:47:57 pm
Can't remember if it's been mentioned, despite not quite being in the Peak! (only by about 200m), the Nags Head near Damflask reservoir does a stunning pie, peas, chips and pint deal. It's a Bradfield Brewery pub so the beer is first class. Haven't had a Sunday roast there but if the quality of the pie is typical then it will be great.

Menus etc
http://bradfieldbrewery.com/the-nags-head/

Duma

• forum hero
#193 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 09, 2016, 07:26:51 pm
Went to the red Lion in Litton on Saturday, decent pint, amazing slow cooked blade of beef, board games, fires in three rooms. Were happy to delay our dinner while we finished scrabble, really enjoyed it.

Dolly

• forum hero
#194 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 09, 2016, 08:44:25 pm
Can't remember if it's been mentioned, despite not quite being in the Peak! (only by about 200m), the Nags Head near Damflask reservoir does a stunning pie, peas, chips and pint deal. It's a Bradfield Brewery pub so the beer is first class. Haven't had a Sunday roast there but if the quality of the pie is typical then it will be great.

Menus etc

Its worth going there just for the beer. It tastes like nectar from the brewery just up the road and its dead cheap. I've ridden there from work a few times and I don't think the food is that great TBH, but the portions were massive

dave

#195 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
January 15, 2017, 06:24:02 pm

Menus etc

Went here today, great cheap beer and knockout no-pissing-around pub food with proper Yorkshire portions. Steak and Ale pie easily as good as the pie at The Grouse but a few quid cheaper, MILES better proper handmade chips AND you get a pint with it. Deffo a proper locals pub, i.e. middle of the day on a Sunday and there's tons of lads stood in there all day boozing and playing snooker, so you probably wouldn't go for a fancy meal type thing, but otherwise can't really fault it. Only got about 4 tables to sit and eat at so you wanna book or phone ahead.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#196 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 14, 2017, 07:30:45 pm
Any recommendations, good people of UKB, for someone staying in Hathersage and then Sheffield? Pubs and I get on pretty well..

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#197 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 14, 2017, 10:56:27 pm
Any recommendations, good people of UKB, for someone staying in Hathersage and then Sheffield? Pubs and I get on pretty well..

I think the Scotsmans Pack is probably the best for food in Hathersage, Millstone is reliable, good carverys but not amazing. (Haven't been regularly for a while so may have upped it's game). Little John was always standard pub fare, massive portions but pretty average, but again I may be out of date. We have eaten at the one on the way to Grindleford, it was ok but quite pricey from memory. Edit: The Plough is on the way to Grindleford and it is still pricey!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:01:31 pm by Obi-Wan is lost... »

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#198 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 15, 2017, 02:59:34 am

I think the Scotsmans Pack is probably the best for food in Hathersage, Millstone is reliable, good carverys but not amazing. (Haven't been regularly for a while so may have upped it's game). Little John was always standard pub fare, massive portions but pretty average, but again I may be out of date. We have eaten at the one on the way to Grindleford, it was ok but quite pricey from memory. Edit: The Plough is on the way to Grindleford and it is still pricey!

Awesome, thanks!

deacon

• addict
#199 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 15, 2017, 05:08:01 am
Pubs in Hathersage are a bit shit for food, but both curry houses are above average.
The little one for an old school curry, or Mazzis  for a posh curry.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal