UKBouldering.com

Peak Pubs - booze & grub (Read 77410 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#125 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 07, 2011, 07:39:45 pm
Is there anywhere along the Monsal trail worth stopping off for food/drink?

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#126 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 07, 2011, 07:56:03 pm
Is there anywhere along the Monsal trail worth stopping off for food/drink?

Monsal Head Hotel, is pretty average at best, avoid if possible.
Unfortunately I can't think of anything great thats next to the trail. Take a picnic and sit by the ducks in Chee Dale?

dave

#127 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 07, 2011, 10:41:16 pm
anglers at millers dale? always been good pub grub when I've been there. they have a walkers/sweaty cyclists room too.

RopeBoy

• menacing presence
#128 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 07, 2011, 11:52:15 pm
After catching up with this thread and a couple of recent experiences I'm tempted to stop eating in pubs in the Peak, from now on will stop for a beer and either eat at home or order a curry as we leave the pub which should be more or less ready when we get there and will have cost quarter of the price and will be less disappointing!

The missus is getting pretty handy with the slow cooker, popped it on before we go out and returned to house smelling of nice food and all we had to do was dish up, result!

J :-)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#129 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 08, 2011, 01:33:33 pm
Or just have a steak pie in the Grouse with a pint of pedigree. Every one a winner.

RopeBoy

• menacing presence
#130 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 08, 2011, 03:10:03 pm
Yeah, the Grouse is okay when Nigel is cooking/chef not so keen when the other chap is cooking.

J :2thumbsup:

T_B

• forum hero
#131 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
November 08, 2011, 04:09:58 pm
After catching up with this thread and a couple of recent experiences I'm tempted to stop eating in pubs in the Peak

I know what you mean, but I've been to the Derwent Arms in Calver for food twice recently (based on Dave's recommendation - above). I reckon it's a bit of a hidden gem. Bloody marvelous pie and chips and a top notch Sunday roast. Excellent beer. Can't think of anywhere better in the Peak that I've been to in recent years...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#132 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 16, 2012, 03:09:44 pm
Insightful piece on the decline of UK Pubs.

underground

• forum hero
#133 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 16, 2012, 07:59:55 pm
Heads up on the Derwentwater Arms - I heard that the proprietors (i.e. the people running it on the dates of the previous posts) were moving, and they have - now at the Angel at Holmesfield

Not been to either so both may be excellent now.

dave

#134 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 16, 2012, 08:11:14 pm
We went to the DA at the end of jan, it was still good - have they moved since then do you reckon?

underground

• forum hero
#135 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 16, 2012, 08:23:23 pm
I just spoke to the dude, December he said... so the Angel needs testing to see if they carried the quality over

underground

• forum hero
#136 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 19, 2012, 10:09:38 pm
Just back from the Derwentwater Arms and it was excellent, 3 courses, 5 different dishes in total all very good, the Chatsworth Gold was also going down very well. Tonight was the 'other chef' too (i.e. not 'Alan' who stayed on after the last proprietors left). Good service too, so all in all we'll be going back.

Paul B

• forum hero
#137 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 26, 2012, 10:39:46 pm
As I should have posted here to start with...

Lazy trout, meerbrook. Owner is chef/cook. Proper homemade great pub food. Excellent value too. Good beers. Friendly. Fire in winter. Dogs fine. (Paul - am duplicating fb message here as this pub deserves UKB custom - best pub food near roaches i reckon).

Ate here Sunday night and it was exactly how Jamie describes...

jamiev

• regular
#138 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 28, 2012, 05:01:51 pm
As I should have posted here to start with...

Lazy trout, meerbrook. Owner is chef/cook. Proper homemade great pub food. Excellent value too. Good beers. Friendly. Fire in winter. Dogs fine. (Paul - am duplicating fb message here as this pub deserves UKB custom - best pub food near roaches i reckon).

Ate here Sunday night and it was exactly how Jamie describes...

Glad it lived up to expectations / my hyperbolic description! Must visit there again soon myself.

underground

• forum hero
#139 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
June 27, 2012, 11:58:23 am
The Samuel Fox, Bradwell

Ate here for our anniversary on Saturday based on a prior recommendation. Wish I had ignored it, however since she reckons I rant too much I'll borrow the wife's tripadvisor review:
My husband and I have just returned from an extremely poor evening meal at The Samuel Fox. First impressions were good, the venue is pleasant enough and the views amazing. The menu choices were also very good, plenty of choice and some innovative sounding combinations. The problems commenced with the starters. When mine arrived the presentation was first class but it somehow managed to be completely tasteless! The crab cakes were really potato cakes although I did see crab in them and the scallops, although perfectly cooked just tasted of the griddle they had been cooked on. The accompanying sauce was completely bland. Meanwhile, on the table of 6 adjacent to us there were problems with cold mash and meals being returned to the kitchen, hmmmm. On to mains then with trepidation .My Husband's pork was very good and the sauce had a great flavour but the mash was lumpy. My hake then arrived and although cooked to perfection, the saffron mash was overpowering and cold and lumpy. It was replaced with apologies but having had two back previoulsy I thought this was totally unacceptable and sloppy attention to detail. The shellfish sauce was so scanty it was difficult to ascertain what it actually tasted of. Vegetables have to be ordered separately and if you forget there is no prompt from the waiter to remind you; when ours finally arrived my husband had finished his dinner. Like the table of six next to us we had lost total confidence in the food and passed on dessert; I have never eaten out at a fine dining establishment and not at least looked at the dessert menu. Overall I was terribly disappointed with the food and this is not a cheap place to eat. Cold, lumpy mash on a £15.00 course? I wouldn't serve that on a weekday meal! Would not recommend and would not return.

dave

#140 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
July 15, 2012, 05:50:15 pm
Been to the Angler's Rest in millers dale today, the one on the turnoff for the Tor. Not been for uears but to my relief its still good solid unfussy trad pub food, nice ales and a very friendly staff especially welcoming to kids. Barmaid had an impressive 24" afro which is worth the drive in itself.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#141 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
July 15, 2012, 06:34:17 pm
Not quite Peak but close.

Went to the Devonshire Arms at Middle Handley for Sunday lunch a few weeks ago.  It's was voted as best restaurant and best gastro pub last year by Eat Sheffield.

It's not really pub grub, it's full-on gastro - you wouldn't go here for a pint. But anyway, the food we had was really good, the place is pleasant and it wasn't stupidly spenny.

Back to your traditional pub-grub, we went to the Barrel Inn at Brettton last weekend, perfect if you've been out at Stoney, WCJ, etc.  Proper old pub with a decent pint, solid trad pub lunch and fantastic views over the White Peak. 

Tommy

• junky
#142 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
July 15, 2012, 07:16:58 pm
Not quite Peak but close.

Went to the Devonshire Arms at Middle Handley for Sunday lunch a few weeks ago.  It's was voted as best restaurant and best gastro pub last year by Eat Sheffield.

It's not really pub grub, it's full-on gastro - you wouldn't go here for a pint. But anyway, the food we had was really good, the place is pleasant and it wasn't stupidly spenny.

Yeah I went there a few weeks go on a recommendation. It was good, although I was expecting a bit better considering how highly it was voted. Maybe that we me being naive though. Go for starters over puddings - better flavours.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#143 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
July 15, 2012, 07:51:46 pm
Been to the Angler's Rest in millers dale today, the one on the turnoff for the Tor. Not been for uears but to my relief its still good solid unfussy trad pub food, nice ales and a very friendly staff especially welcoming to kids. Barmaid had an impressive 24" afro which is worth the drive in itself.

Had a quick glance down that way today while I was doing some X-treme, X-railway, passenger laden, off-road spouse racing on The Mighty Monsal Trail.

Couldn't see her Afro.

I will agitate for a closer view next weekend.

underground

• forum hero
#144 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 05, 2013, 06:51:07 pm
The Bowling Green, Bradwell
This is my after caving boozer and all I normally manage is a pint, scratchings and if the bingo or quiz is on, free sarnies and (the best) roast spuds.
I took my daughter on her first trip caving in Saturday so we had to complete the experience and go for lunch.

All I can say is blooming awesome- no fancy work, just proper pub grub in pleasant surroundings. I had the 'Desperate Dan' steak and ale pie, in a pie dish 9" square, full of meat, lovely rich gravy and a short homemade pastry. The chips were more like thrice cooked roasties of Tuesday night legend. Ace. They also do a 'cow calf' ie smaller one for more modest appetites.

Everything else on the menu was tempting so ill be back.

Recommended

dave

#145 Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 05, 2013, 07:22:13 pm
Fuck that sounds well brown, cheers for the heads up.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#146 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
March 05, 2013, 09:18:41 pm
Forgot to mention, a bunch of us had a meal in the royal oak a few weeks back, between Monyash and Longnor at the end of the old railway/ cycle track. Very good food, and very accommodating of a big party turning up unannounced with a bunch of noisy kids. Worth checking out on the way back from the Roaches.

Hydraulic Man

• player
#147 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
June 29, 2013, 10:49:16 am
Agree about the Royal Oak. Meals look massive and the ale was well kept. The next village heading towards Longnor has a smashing pub with beer garden and good beer. Packhorse in Crowdicote.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#148 Re: Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 17, 2013, 09:25:40 pm
Own a piece of a peak district pub http://www.bcs.hopevalleyderbyshire.co.uk/

Eddies

• forum hero
#149 Peak Pubs - booze & grub
September 17, 2013, 09:45:52 pm
The royal oak is the biz, big farmers dinners and its all great... No starter required!
Buxton brewery have just last week opened a bar in town called the tap house serving around a dozen of their own ales on tap and hundreds of bottled beers from around the world.. The foods really good also!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal