the shizzle > food & drink

Peak Pubs - booze & grub

(1/41) > >>

dave:
Alright you rimlickers

It just struck me that there's never been a real hub on here for recomendations and discussion of the relative merits of various peak (and peripheral) pubs vis a vis the standard of eating experience you can expect. This came to me after recently having either firsthand or secondhand tales of previsouly good pubs getting shit and vice versa.

So heads up, and everyone chip in with some knowledge. I'll start the ball rolling with:

The Millstone, Hathersage: I was always used to like this place, but lately it seems to have gone off the boil, like they've given up putting any effort in. The specials board never changes for a start. Famous for its sausage&mash mix&match combos, but the last one I had was shit. 2 tiny hard venison sausages (looked pre-cooked then quicky reheated, I'm sure they used to be bigger and better), a pile of what was described on the menu as "bubble & squeak" but was really just mash mixed with some bits of veg, not fried at all, bearing all the hallmarks of just having had 2 mins in the microwave, all sat in a large "yorkshire pudding" of the horrible brittle frozen type. And not cheap. And theres no slouchable seating. (That said, the ale is good with some peak locals.)

The Little John, Hathersage: Not the finest food going but decent, unashamedly massive portions and fairly cheap = very cheerful. Plus a good range of ales. Comfy seating.

The Dore Moor, Sheffield: last time we waited over 2 hours for shit food and left without paying. Avoid.

Any more for any more?

jfw:
the grouse near froggat

do good simple pub stodge, real fire (greati n winter)

also do a cheaper small portion if you don't want phelps/feltz size portions

nice deuchars IPA

Jaspersharpe:
Think The Millstone's changed hands or something. I know the guys who ran the Terrace restaurant when we had our wedding meal there two years ago aren't there anymore. This could explain the downturn in standards.

The Red Lion in Litton - only been for food once on a Sunday quite a while ago. It was cheap and very good in an Old Skool sunday roast style. I can't imagine it's altered much as Litton is in some sort of 1930s time warp.

The Fox House is fucking shit now. Used to be a great pub.

The Chequers is expensive (for a pub) but the last time I went it was still well worth it. I've never had a bad meal there.

ChrisC:
Anglers Rest, Millers Dale - Good food - Pie night especially on a Thursday eve, finishes a bit early if your at the Tor though.

Red Lion, Litton - Top pub, top food, friendlt staff.

Three Stags Head, Wardlow Mires - A Shit pub in all respects.  Unless you like the Countryside Alliance, grumpy service, beer that tastes like it was made from mud and an air that smells like the Yorvik Viking Center.

Re The Grouse, it's what the Fox House should be (or was...) Totally aggree with the above - Its a toss up between the Red Lion and The Grouse for the best pub in the Peak for me.

dave:
I think scouse told me the Fox House was shite recently.

Chequers was always good when I've been (i.e. when parents were paying...).

Eyre Arms, Hassop: Not been recently but was always very good food, a bit expensive but worth it on occaision. Very cosy setup.

Angler's Rest, Miller's Dale: Again I've not been super recently but have always found it friendly, nice oldschool food and good beer previousy - hope its still the same. Got a walker's room for those in mucky boots. (just seen punter's post, great minds etc).

Was gonna ask if anyone had food at the 3slags heads? I always thought it was OK, might not be to everyone's tastes but at least its different, and I have never been able to fault the beer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version