UKBouldering.com

10k swimming - Hardcore or what? (Read 4952 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 08:22:08 am
I was stunned by the performance of those people doing the 10k swims at the limpicks. I'd not even heard of this event until last night. Swimming faster than I can ever hope to go for 2 hours. I can't begin to think how hard it would feel to be totally marathon-knackered and keep breathing properly and keep looking up to find the way AND THEN cope with other competitors pulling, tapping and swimming into you without fighting back (above the water at least). I did like the idea of the yellow cards - where people calculate when they want to use their one allowed cheat move.
Oh it looked like hard work.
I liked David Davies' tactic of getting out in front and trying to stay there for the whole race - didn't work, but showed sporting balls and avoided the need to use up his yellow card whilst overtaking.
 :bow:

galpinos

• forum hero
#1 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 08:32:40 am

Totally agree. How you can put that level of effort in when in the water is beyond me. He barely seemed to know where he was at the end, let alone where the finish line was.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#2 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 08:33:51 am
Cheat moves ? ..... What do these involve ?..... I'm thinking dunking or maybe pulling down the other blokes trunks ..... Am I on the right track or are they a little less subtle ? .... You mention David Davies showing his sporting balls so it has be summat like the latter .....

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 08:40:54 am
There is much physical contact as the pack swims along the course, especially around the turn buoys and in and out of the feeding station. As in other sports, the swimmers can be called for fouls or disqualified by three referees who closely follow the swimmers in boats throughout the race.

The referees give three types of calls. A whistle is given as a warning when a swimmer impedes another competitor. These warning whistles are frequently given. A yellow card is given if the infraction is more serious. Impeding can mean purposefully veering another swimmer off-course, swimming over a competitor’s legs or back, knocking, banging or pulling on arms or frequently hitting another competitor’s feet or legs. When a yellow card is given, the swimmer’s number is written on a whiteboard so the entire field can see from the water. Several yellow cards are generally given in a race. Receiving two yellow cards leads to an immediate disqualification. A red flag indicates unsportsmanlike conduct for the most serious infraction such as punching, pulling back a competitor or swimming aggressively over a competitor. A red flag also leads to an immediate disqualification. Red flags are less frequently given.

from 10kswimmer.com

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 09:18:11 am
Caught highlights of the womens event the other day and was mightly impressed.  Litreally came down to a photo finish after 10k!!!

Even more amazing was Natalie du Toit the South African competitor, who must have absolutely amazing upper body strength as she's had one leg amputed at the knee, and can still keep up with more convnetional bipeds  :o

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#5 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 09:23:05 am
They sound like savages rather than noble athletes ,the cream of their country ,living , breathing models of those traditional olympic qualities of fair play and gentlemanly conduct ......

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#6 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 09:24:09 am
Iron man - now that is hardcore:

2.4 mile swim
then a 112 mile bike ride
then run a marathon (26 miles).

If I could do just one of those on it's own I'd be happy, let alone do them all one after another - mental!!!!!!

chappers

• forum hero
#7 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 10:31:43 am
telling me! ironman is nails. i went to school with this guy steve who is quite handy:  http://www.stephenbayliss.net/   (just a shame his site is plagued by shit music).

looks like he now comes first or second in an ironman every month.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#8 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 10:48:30 am
Shit - he must be a machine...

I met this bloke the other day that had just done an iron man in France. He had broken his ankle 4 weeks before, and the doctor told him he couldn't race. He thought fuck it and did it anyway. Reckons he was off his face after drinking about 3 gallons of over-caffeinated sugary drink company. His ankle is still fecked... my only question is why?

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#9 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 10:55:07 am
His ankle is still fecked because he broke it and instead of following his doctor's advice he took part in an Iron man competition  ....

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#10 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 10:58:26 am
Ahh I see, thanks.. will have to remember not to run with a broken ankle  :)

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#11 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 10:58:40 am
Bayliss endorses my current addiction that is For Goodness Shakes...an amazing recovery drink that also goes really well on cereal and provides most of your daily nutritional needs!  8)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 01:45:13 pm

Did anyone see the interview with the two female medallists after their 10k swim? It was amazing, they looked and talked like they'd just done a couple of lengths down the local pool. Immense fitness.

cofe

• forum hero
#13 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 02:13:38 pm

Did anyone see the interview with the two female medallists after their 10k swim? It was amazing, they looked and talked like they'd just done a couple of lengths down the local pool. Immense fitness.

you're not wrong. hats off to them.

fatkid2000

• junky
#14 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 22, 2008, 02:32:00 pm
I swam 10K in a swimming pool when I was about 12 - can't remember for the life of me why I did it. I couldn't walk afterwards, had this comedy moment of trying to stand up and withering to the floor.

DubDom

• menacing presence
#15 Re: 10k swimming - Hardcore or what?
August 23, 2008, 12:32:01 am
I was on support boat for a friend who swam the channel this year. Amazing, he did it in just under 14 hours. I've never seen anything like it. If you think that there are less than 1000 people who have swam the channel - as opposed to over 2500 who have climbed everest, big cajones eh? Incidentaly , this is the first year that the 10k has been in the olympics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal