UKBouldering.com

something for the holiday sir? (Read 147751 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#50 Re: something for the holiday sir?
October 17, 2008, 10:20:11 am
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/lx3.shtml

Panasonic LX-3 reviewed. Looks very good, possibly better than the Ricoh.

dave

#51 Re: something for the holiday sir?
October 17, 2008, 12:10:19 pm
does look good as far as compacts go.

what i don't get is if they're using an oversized sensor to offer you the option of knocking out images at 3968X2232, 3648X2736 and 3776X2520, then why not also give you option of square 3224x3224?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#52 Re: something for the holiday sir?
October 17, 2008, 12:12:24 pm
Because you could just crop to that etc?

Why you can't do 3968 x 2736 is a bigger question.

dave

#53 Re: something for the holiday sir?
October 17, 2008, 12:16:51 pm
I did think 3968 x 2736 would be obvious but i suspect the lens wouldn't cover it fully (all the above image sizes have roughly the same diagonal). however you'd think with it being a zoom that it'd cover at [i/]some[/i] focal length if not all.

the square idea would need a bigger sensor, granted, though possible with the same lens coverage circle.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#54 Re: something for the holiday sir?
October 17, 2008, 01:04:14 pm
That's a good link, ta.

Sorry, I read your 3224 as 2224. Yeah, they've obviously gone for the smallest sensor whilst still offering some good ratios. Seems a good idea though, subject to a handling check I might well buy one.

dave

#55 Re: something for the holiday sir?
October 17, 2008, 01:24:18 pm
they only cost 100x NOTHING afterall.

presumably the flash sync is sky high, and its got a hotshoe - BINGO.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#56 Re: something for the holiday sir?
October 20, 2008, 10:37:18 am
now that looks the business! well done chaps.

i just need to book another holiday now...

haven't picked up my film yet, but here are a few amusing images taken by my bodyguard.

yours truly taking a picture of two top fuel drag cars pulling away. note that everyone else has their fingers in their ears. weel, apart from my chum bob, aka floyd lippencotte j.

"Yes, it's enormous. Now, you were saying..."
"Sorry, couldn't help noticing son. So, you're a racer?"
"Yes. I'm actually quite famous back home, but you probably haven't heard of me over here. I don't mind though. It's nice to be able to wander in the crowds without being constantly pestered for autographs and stuff."
"I can imagine. So what do you think of the good ol' US of A?"
"The teenage girls are very nice. And the burgers. I like them."
"That's interesting..."

A truck doing a wheelie. It stayed up for more than a quarter mile and was doing 145 MPH over the finish line. That'll teach him to leave his shopping in the back...

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:53:57 am by Yossarian »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#57 Re: something for the holiday sir?
October 20, 2008, 10:54:05 am
I reckon he had his wife in the back.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#58 Re: something for the holiday sir?
October 20, 2008, 11:39:49 am
I like the look of this too - 4/3rds sensor, compact body, interchangeable lenses.

Unfortunately with Olympus' track record, it'll probably take two years to realise, but be released with a two-year old spec and some giant lenses.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#59 Re: something for the holiday sir?
October 31, 2008, 03:42:46 pm
The proper ones are back. B&W scanned from the negs (but not spotted) and colour are scanned from the contacts (cos cross processed film is a nightmare to scan at home)...

Yossarian

• forum hero
#60 Re: something for the holiday sir?
October 31, 2008, 03:44:49 pm

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#61 Re: something for the holiday sir?
October 31, 2008, 03:54:07 pm
Nice panning! Some very cool pics.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#62 Re: something for the holiday sir?
October 31, 2008, 04:41:37 pm
Me mate Bob Muravez (aka Floyd Lippencote Jr) drove the Freight Train for quite a few years...

·  Top Gas Eliminator “ Bakersfield ’62  Muravez (last win as “Muravez” for six years)
·  First Gas Dragster over 190mph “ ’67 “ Lippencotte
·  First Gas Dragster 200mph “ ’67 “ Lippencotte
·  Top time, low ET gas, 7.30/200 “ U.S. Nationals- ’67 “ Lippencotte
·  Top Gas - USPD Championships, Lions “ ’67 “ Lippencotte
·  Top time, low ET gas, every meet raced in ’67 “ Lippencotte
·  Division VII points champion five years of seven
·  Top Gas “ USPD Championships, Lions “ ’68 “ Lippencotte
·  Top Gas Springnationals “ ’69 “ Muravez

It was a bit of a beast.

Tom de Gay

• menacing presence
#63 Re: something for the holiday sir?
November 29, 2008, 08:36:38 pm
Bit of a late response, but here goes.

Have had the Ricoh GX100 about 6 months. For still subjects in good light it's pretty amazing and it handles well. Snap, point and manual focus modes are handy. Like the wide angle. Seems at its best in black and white. Macro is ace.

It's small enought to use on your bike too

But... it tends to overexpose and like any compact in poor light it is just poor. The lens cap is quite annoying, but I think there's a flap-type self-opening one available now.

The GX200 has faster RAW write times and you can dial down the flash to make it actually usable. Sounds like a great camera.

The Panasonic should be slightly better in low light with an f2 lens (distortions corrected in camera!). I tried it in the shop and the handling is a bit fiddly though.

Ricoh customer services are good. I had a cycling accident and smashed the screen (and various body parts) but got it all fixed and serviced for free (the camera, that is).

Did somone mention primes? Sigma 50mm 1.4 is good.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#64 Re: something for the holiday sir?
November 30, 2008, 05:24:38 pm
Cheers for that Tom, I'm still prevaricating on getting a compact, but with winter conditions looming I might have to get on with it.

Not convinced by the sigma 50/1.4 at all. Oversized and overpriced. Nikon have just revamped theirs which will be a much better option.

You still in london? Living the dream?

dave

#65 Re: something for the holiday sir?
November 30, 2008, 11:26:27 pm
unless you've got a D40, or a desperate need to be able to manual focus without flipping a switch (or indeed to spend double what the nikon 1.4 cost second hand) then I don't really understand the attraction of the sigma 50mil lens.

Tom de Gay

• menacing presence
#66 Re: something for the holiday sir?
December 01, 2008, 01:31:52 am
Yep, still in the smoke, but was sneaking out onto the grit a bit until recently...

Can't really comment on the Nikon 50mm; had the Canon 50mm 1.4 but it met a grisly end, so thought I'd give the Sigma a try. Early days but looking promising; main advantages over the canon are that it's actually sharp at 1.4 and has far smoother bokeh, if you like that kind of thing. Sure, it's on the large side for a 50, but I don't think this hindered me on my recent solo ascent of the west face of Pentonville Road. I guess weight might be more of a consideration for the kind of things you guys get up to (walk-in to the Plantation, etc).

For winter climbing the Ricoh might be marginally less annoying than the Panasonic to operate one handed, in gloves.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#67 Re: something for the holiday sir?
December 01, 2008, 11:10:29 am
Very drole. I'm more after it for sea-cliffs and winter, so the buttons thing is good knowledge.

We all love good bokeh. Plus there's no point in having a fast lens unless its sharp wide open. I know Canon primes have a bad rep, luckily I'm batting for the other side. And I use a Nikon camera.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#68 Re: something for the holiday sir?
January 07, 2009, 01:14:10 pm
Did anyone come to a conclusion about this? I'm also after a new portable camera (ie, not DSLR), in the same vein as Yoss. The Panasonic LX3 sounded great until a bit more internet probing revealed that it produces a lot of barrel distortion due to the wide lens that is corrected in camera when outputting jpeg and by Panasonic's bundled software if outputted in RAW. The upshot being that if you want to use a different RAW package you get lots of distortion. Not ideal. Obviously the advantage of the lens is better low light performance however. Apart from the Ricoh I can't seem to find any other competitors (Leica M discounted as being massively more expensive and not that good by all accounts).

dave

#69 Re: something for the holiday sir?
January 07, 2009, 01:45:27 pm
distortion won't be visible in many if any climbing photos, and only in photos in general if you've got dead flat straight things like buildings or a horizon at sea for reference. so its probably less of a problem than you think. if its low-order distortion it should be pretty easy to correct in any normal software. most zoom lenses have distortion to some degree.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#70 Re: something for the holiday sir?
January 07, 2009, 01:46:32 pm
i kind of gave up, although the lx3 still sounds pretty good.  i dunno if i'd use raw that much anyway. i hardly ever bother on the d200 these days.

what i'd quite like now is something small that i could use with 2 or 3 pocket wizards and small flash heads to do some camelback-portable biking pictures. my current and fairly impractical setup consists of the d200 and a very heavy norman 200b system, which really necessitates the employment of a chinook and crew to deliver it into position.

dave

#71 Re: something for the holiday sir?
January 07, 2009, 01:49:16 pm
something like a canon g9 has got a hotshoe for PWs, plus some crazy high sync speed. i don't know how many compacts in general have got hotshoes/sync ports.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#72 Re: something for the holiday sir?
January 07, 2009, 02:16:43 pm
distortion won't be visible in many if any climbing photos, and only in photos in general if you've got dead flat straight things like buildings or a horizon at sea for reference. so its probably less of a problem than you think. if its low-order distortion it should be pretty easy to correct in any normal software. most zoom lenses have distortion to some degree.

True. It's actually quite pronounced in the LX3 though, more than a normal zoom:

dave

#73 Re: something for the holiday sir?
January 07, 2009, 02:25:55 pm
just looks like a normal everyday spherical brick wall to me, no problems there.

cofe

• forum hero
#74 Re: something for the holiday sir?
January 07, 2009, 02:27:14 pm

what i'd quite like now is something small that i could use with 2 or 3 pocket wizards and small flash heads to do some camelback-portable biking pictures. my current and fairly impractical setup consists of the d200 and a very heavy norman 200b system, which really necessitates the employment of a chinook and crew to deliver it into position.

i was using a 40D w/two lenses plus flash and triggers last year. i'd have the camera plus wide up front in a lowepro toploader thingy with a chest harness, then flashes and long lense in hydration pack. not really that cumbersome and did some reasonable rides with the gear. i'll be trying to improve the setup this year. f-stop do some interesting bags but not really available in UK at moment.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal