UKBouldering.com

City riding and work use advice please (Read 13906 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
City riding and work use advice please
August 21, 2008, 09:53:17 am
I pulled an old bike out of a skip and have tweaked, greased and pumped it to make it ridable. I am now using it to ride to, from and around Sheffield city centre. I've been reprogramming my MindNav to use bikable routes instead of my usual walking or driving routes and all is going well - in fact its quite good fun.
A n y w a a a y, what I was wondering is...
what is acceptable city riding behaviour (from cyclists point of view as well as that of Mr Plod and fiends) - left turns at red lights? shouting as pedestrians on cycle paths? cycling on pavements? using pedestrian crossings? (some are clearly meant/signed for both bikes and feet). I use the Paranoid-Defensive model for riding (assume they are all out to get me) already, but would welcome any hints or tips that you more experienced people might have.

Also; Work are happy to pay me a milage rate and parking fees (of which my vehicle is exempt anyway due to being LPG) for any use of my car/van that I see fit, or even any public transport/taxi fares that I might incur, but there is no policy for paying me for bike use; which is a cost efficient way of getting me around town - So I am trying to get a suitable arrangement/policy sorted in accordance with our organisations green, energy and money saving policies. Does anyone else have such a system at work, or do you know of any existing practices or policies that I can use as a benchmark?

Ooh, one more thing. Bike security - any major dos or don'ts for locking my bike up? Using common sense at the moment, but am aware of its poor track record as a basis for life choices.

Thanks people.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
As mentioned before, make your presence known.

http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/391-18591-11

I can just add that I walk some of the way to work, and have to dodge cyclists on the pavement on a daily basis, some are OK, some are a serious hazard.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:39:28 am by SA Chris, Reason: not knowing the difference between an image and a hyperlink. »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Ha ha ha ha. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect correct remuneration in line with the personal expenses you will be incurring in travelling for work. I'm sure that most employers would endorse this policy and that your own place of work will be happy to implement a system where you are fairly paid absolutely fuck all.

;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
I think you should buy a fancy new bike (or get a receipt for one from fatdoc!) and then charge them a depreciation cost weekly for use. Or get one through the bike to work scheme.

dave

please don't join the ranks of cyclists who run red lights and bike on the pavement. its just fucking lazy and inconsiderate of others. Should I ever have a flip-out mental breakdown and go on a machette weilding rampage, I can assure you that cyclists on pavements will be near the top of my "to butcher" list.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Dave in FD mode.

Fj

• menacing presence
As someone who rides past Dave most days, and sometimes on the pavement, I'm slightly concerned.
Still if its the choice of machette rampage Dave on the pavement or the numpties driving through the traffic lights of death near wickes, I think I'll take my chances on the pavement.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Does anyone else have such a system at work, or do you know of any existing practices or policies that I can use as a benchmark?

Sheffield City Council encourage cycling to work with a variety of inititives, some better than others.

They pay 20p a mile.
Vehicle mileage rates
The Council has fixed its car mileage rate at the maximum alloweable for tax-free payment, as set by HM Revenue and Customs (Inland Revenue) for business travel in an employee's own vehicle.

The current rates for car mileage are:

40 pence per mile for the first 10,000 miles
25 pence per mile after the first 10,000 miles

The mileage rate for a motorcycle or moped is 24 pence per mile.

The mileage rate for a pushbike is 20 pence per mile

Why isn't it at least the same as a moped? Surely to encourage cycling it should be MORE than a car for short journeys!? eg. 50p a mile.

In regards to riding style, as Dave says, no riding on pavements, the wrong way on one-way streets, riding at night without lights etc. It all gives more ammo to the anti-cycling brigade.

In terms of red lights, I jump the occasional ped-crossing if no-ones on it, but generally am pretty good at waiting, use it as a chance to get your breath back!

In general keep your wits about you, assume that cars and pedestrians haven't seen you at all times, so be extra careful when going down the inside of a line of traffic, either in a bike lane or not, watch for those wound up communters doing sudden left hand turns with no warning or signal. Also door opening etc. Remember cars kill cyclists very easily, but also remember it is very easy to kill a pedestrian by knocking them down with a bike. I know two examples of people my family know who have died from being knocked over by a bike whilst stepping off a curb, a lot of people listen for cars/motorbikes etc, but don't expect something doing 20-30mph approaching virtually silently.

Security: Use a cheap bike like you are, and put a  U-lock through the front wheel and frame around a lampost or railing. If its some old bike unlikely you'll have any trouble. It used to the the score that people would nick a £50 mountain bike but you could leave £1000's of pounds worth of trick road bike locked up and the ne'er-do-well's would leave it as it wasn't desirable?! Not sure if this is still the case, could be a downside of winning all those golds.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
All good advice, echo the sentiments regarding riding defensively, and never jump red-lights (I too use it to get my breath back).  Personally I'll very occasionally ride on the path, but when I do so its at the same pace as walking.  Pedestrains can be as blind as drivers too so be wary.

Watch out for buses, they really are some of the most inconsiderate road users I've encountered in Sheffield (particularly First Mainline).  They've very considerately started signs on the back of the buses warning cyclists about passing the bus on the inside, how about big signs at the front to remind the myopic drivers to pass cyclists with sufficent room for the whole length of the bus to pass the cyclists safely.

Stick with the old bike and its unlikely to get knicked (I specifically got a second-hand battered bike for this very reason).  Get some decent, but cheapish lights, then if they get knicked off of your bike your not too much out of pocket.

Probably worth investing in a helmet too

Oh and from experience be very wary of  :beer1: :beer2:  :beer1: :beer2:  :pissed: and then , phone boxes can appear from nowhere  ::)

Sheffield City Council encourage cycling to work with a variety of inititives, some better than others.

They pay 20p a mile.
Vehicle mileage rates
The Council has fixed its car mileage rate at the maximum alloweable for tax-free payment, as set by HM Revenue and Customs (Inland Revenue) for business travel in an employee's own vehicle.

The current rates for car mileage are:

40 pence per mile for the first 10,000 miles
25 pence per mile after the first 10,000 miles

The mileage rate for a motorcycle or moped is 24 pence per mile.

The mileage rate for a pushbike is 20 pence per mile

WTF  :o Let me get this right, you get a job with the council and a salary and they then pay you ON TOP OF THAT to actually get to and from your home to work?   Surely this applies to travelling from work on work business and NOT simply getting to and from work? 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Yeah it's not tax free otherwise. Those rates are for allowable business mileage. Home to work (and vice versa) is not allowable.

Having just checked I realise that my totally cynical post above is actually wrong and that now you do actually get something for nothing if your employer agrees to the government rates. Brilliant!

Why isn't it at least the same as a moped? Surely to encourage cycling it should be MORE than a car for short journeys!? eg. 50p a mile.

Because the rates are supposed to be calulated to fairly reimburse employees for the cost of using their own vehicle for work. I agree that from an environmental (i.e. sensible) point of view what you say is correct but hey, these rates are calculated by HMRC...........  :wall:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:58:03 pm by Jaspersharpe, Reason: Blah blah blah »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
As both a cyclist and an LGV driver i'd like to say:

Don't go anywhere near an artic that looks like it may be about to turn - an artic will often need to use more than one lane to make a turn and it may not go the way you expect.  Be especially aware of this when they are turning left as you will then be very difficult to see (even with the new mirrors that are fitted to wagons). Lots of cyclists have been killed when they have moved alongside an artic that has then turned left and not seen them. It's not a slur on LGV drivers but when you're driving something 15ft high and 55ft long in the rain it can be hard to spot a bike.

In fact, I would say keep away from LGVs whenever you can anyway. One slip under those wheels and you're dead.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
My post may have been confusing, I think the pence per mile payment only applies to business journeys eg. between council sites/schools etc. Not from home to your normal place of work. However other initivies such as loans to buy bikes do benefit you commute from home.

Just found out there are a few pool bikes based in Howden house for council employees.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Thanks guys. I want to avoid getting into any bad habits from the start.
My time and motion study has so far shown that I am generally at least as quick on my bike as I am going by car (slightly slower getting up to N Gen hospital) and don't incur any parking fees - or waste time looking for a parking spot, so things are looking good for my case. Furthermore, none of my clients have yet asked me to give them a lift on my bike to somewhere to score - so I don't have to say "no" 57 times in 20 minutes as crack induced repetative compulsive behaviour is combined with short term memory loss and cravings.
I used the canal towpath to get to Attecliffe earlier - nice ride, if a bit scary when I went too fast under some of the briges where the path wiggles and shrinks while the curve of the bridge reduces head room.

Having just checked I realise that my totally cynical post above is actually wrong and that now you do actually get something for nothing if your employer agrees to the government rates. Brilliant!

Nothing! PAH! I spent £5 on a lock so I could cycle round at work - I'm sure I will find more hidden costs to cycling as I go on.

SA Chris

• forum hero

In fact, I would say keep away from LGVs whenever you can anyway. One slip under those wheels and you're dead.

Quite. A mate of mine was on his motorbike on the M62 and got hit by one changing lanes. Said he avoid wheels by a lucky "bounce".

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I heard recently of a cyclist that went under the rear wheels of a 3 axle trailer and was divided into eight parts. Not good.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
I concurr.... lorries + rain = dead cyclist.. no one's fault... just dead.

I'm confused with the milage thingie.... do you get paid to drive / walk / ride TO work??? if so that's a bloody outrage!!

If you get paid to get about whilst AT work then yeah, fair go... should be a flat rate  - you make an effort, save some fuel and keep the monies saved... that's fair IMO

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I'm confused with the milage thingie.... do you get paid to drive / walk / ride TO work??? if so that's a bloody outrage!!

Fortunately not, its only for business miles.
If you get paid to get about whilst AT work then yeah, fair go... should be a flat rate  - you make an effort, save some fuel and keep the monies saved... that's fair IMO

Aside from the fairly obvious aspect of being caught out (and the moral/ethical dilema), whats wrong with putting in for mileage you'd normally do in your car and doing those miles on your bike?

fatkid2000

• junky
In the ten years or so that I've ridden bikes around Sheffield it never ceases to amaze me at some of the lunatic cycling you see. I keep well away from anyform of lorry / long vehicle but I often see people sat on their bike between lorry and kerb. When I first started riding around Sheffield it was a pretty chilled place to cycle, not anymore - not sure why, but I seem to get grief most days when commuting on the bike. Maybe people are more stressed or more pissed off at the increase in cyclists around. Although there does seem to be some improvements in cycle paths etc.

With regards to claiming mileage - I can claim for driving to work and back home if I do a home visit to a patient, but can't claim if I don't, not sure what the rate of payment is but do know its reduced if I cycle.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Try and give parked cars at least a meter of room, you should hopefully avoid any door opening incidents.

Shaun

• regular
Hi
Sheffield City Council is funding 2 hour coaching sessions for anyone who lives or works in Sheffield. It is delivered by Pedal Ready, a cycle training co-op of local instructors who teach to the National Standard, which is called Bikeability.
Learning to ride skillfully is the key to feeling confident on Sheffield's busy roads and Pedal Ready's lesson will be one to one and tailored to your journey.  A trainer will meet you at your work or home and will do your journey with you, and they can include other cycling skills such as multi lane roads, major roundabouts, etc. We teach how to cycle confidently and assertively, while remaining within the law and off the pavement!
Whether you are a complete beginner or experienced communter we guarantee you will become a better cyclist. And it's free so there's no excuse!
To find out more email 121lessons@pedalready.co.uk. for more general info on Pedal Ready go to www.pedalready.co.uk or call the office on 241 2775.
Cheers

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
damn, the council actually spending my taxes wisely!!

thanks.

waddage

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
That does indeed sound like a very useful scheme.  First I've heard of it, shame its not being advertised more widely.

Thanks for the pointer Shaun.

chappers

• forum hero
get some mud guards. my ares got soaked yesterday.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
get some mud guards. my ares got soaked yesterday.
:lol: Mine too. Lesson learned.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
I'm considering these

www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Gore_Alp_X_Baggy_Shorts/5360023931/

however i feel they dont flatter the *fuller figure* so I need to go and try some on... and they cost a fortune!! having said that in summer [ aka wettest season of the year ] have nowhere to dry my road kit at work, so from a comfort point of view i've nearly justified the cost..

apparently they keep you a bit warmer and DO work..... lyrca / padding underneath required..

*cough*

there is a rumour.... well,  it's a bit embarrasing really........ :lol:

well, one of the MTBers on this very forum [whose even -ve karmaed peeps for being lyrca clad roadies  :o in the past for no other reason than to jeer and deride the fabric]

has LYCRA, and uses it under these shorts... :P :P :P :P... a covered lyrca fetish!!!! wonder what / who's he wears to work  ;)

guess who  :shrug: ???

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
No idea Fatdoc.  But you can go and try on those shorts at the new Outside in Havasausage.

I know that a MTB rider from this forum has a pair of padded inner shorts that are basically like fish net stockings with a pad. How kinky is that?

P.S. I'd let you try on my Gore shorts but you are too fat to get into them.  :lol:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
cheeky c8nt

bet I'm not...

AND stop diverting the attention off you and your LYCRA wardrobe with stories of S&M fishnet shorts matey...

Norton, as planned outed himself.

Oh.... the pleasure...

fatkid2000

• junky
On my first Wednesday evening ride a couple of weeks ago I noted a good few of the riders trying to hide lycra shorts under their baggies. Must be some kind of fetish, not to show what they are actually wearing.

fatkid2000

• junky
These grundeffect chaps even make baggies with integrated lycra for all you MTB riders who want to hide your lycra fetish.

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-JUG-SHO.htm

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
All this talk of Lycra tm is putting me off cycling - I haven't worn Lycra tm since 1990 and will do my best to resist squeezing my 21st century waistline into such apparel for the sake of public decency.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Listen to Lagers.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
** update **
Yes! Finance and HR were already on the case and have confirmed that I will get 20p per mile for using my bike for work journeys. This will be cheaper for work than using my car and public transport, I get a bit of exercise, have fun and don't produce as much local polution.  :thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
Nice one, great result.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Thats a bargain!  Wish I had to travel for work  :P

Thought of another tip.....be careful around the tram lines, especially after raind as they're...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal