UKBouldering.com

Hazard Quarry (Read 2725 times)

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Hazard Quarry
August 14, 2008, 12:02:35 pm
Has anyone been to Hazard Quarry, South Devon recently? It got banned a while ago thanks to some cock trying to sue the farmer  :wank:.
Are people still visiting and keeping a low key? I'm heading down there soon and want get on Garth, "A hairy chest, look at my pectorals, celebration of the pump" {Nick White, S.Devon and Dartmoor guide}

RopeBoy

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Hazard Quarry
August 14, 2008, 12:09:05 pm

Resonate

• addict
#2 Re: Hazard Quarry
August 14, 2008, 12:12:31 pm
I know people who visit to boulder regularly. I don't know the official status but the people i know aren't assholes who'd sue so we don't care.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#3 Re: Hazard Quarry
August 14, 2008, 12:40:03 pm
Good stuff, just wanted to know if it was safe to go there or if the farmer is actively enforcing the ban. The climber trying to sue happened a few years ago now. I know someone who went to see the farmer to try and broker a deal but was unsuccessful.

I don't suppose you know the state of the fixed gear? A lot of the climbs are protected with insitu slings and they were looking worn 5 years ago when I last lived down that way. I'll take some cord with me anyway.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Hazard Quarry
August 14, 2008, 12:40:28 pm
I went last September (and did Croix De Guerre which was nice). Had no idea it was banned and didn't get any trouble although the farm where one supposedly asks permission was miles away and no-one answered the door.

Earlier in the year there was a RSPB bird-ban notice there for the usual nesting season.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#5 Re: Hazard Quarry
August 14, 2008, 04:14:23 pm
I went last September (and did Croix De Guerre which was nice). Had no idea it was banned and didn't get any trouble although the farm where one supposedly asks permission was miles away and no-one answered the door.

Earlier in the year there was a RSPB bird-ban notice there for the usual nesting season.

I always thought the farm house was the building to the left of the field?

Croix de Guerre is good, you have to watch out for the bee/wasp nest in the big pocket though. I'm also keen to get on Tarzan. Apparently the last move involves a wild jump out from the rock to catch a tree root hanging behind you.

Paz

• junky
#6 Re: Hazard Quarry
August 14, 2008, 04:27:12 pm
"'olright Clart?"

Can't find Tarzan anywhere - what is it?

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#7 Re: Hazard Quarry
August 14, 2008, 04:51:19 pm
"'olright Clart?"

Can't find Tarzan anywhere - what is it?

"Tidy, Spa"

I'm not sure if it's in the book, think it was one of the 'new' routes that went up along with Apperitician (or sumfin'). It's a 7b I think, on the back wall of the bay to the left of Croix de Guerre. 

Paz

• junky
#8 Re: Hazard Quarry
August 14, 2008, 07:07:07 pm
So it would cross  Tapes of Wrath then?  You can see where that bay is quite well in the photo, as well as your choice of hanging tendrils to dyno for, crazy shit.  I'll consult javu at my leisure then. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal