UKBouldering.com

Unlimited online photo storage site? (Read 2947 times)

underground

• forum hero
Unlimited online photo storage site?
August 13, 2008, 11:31:52 am
Have I imagined this or was there a mention some time ago of an online, flickr esque site for uploading digital images which was free and had unlimited storage capacity similar to gmail?

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Unlimited online photo storage site?
August 22, 2008, 12:05:07 pm
Do you mean something like Photobucket?  Or does it need to be more advanced?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Unlimited online photo storage site?
August 22, 2008, 12:30:37 pm
Theres Google's offering Picasa.

And lots of others such as Imageshack.

There are tons out there and this might help you choose.

These are all geared towards pictures, if you want just plain online storage of data (and pics are ultimately just data) then something like...

this or the apparently unlimited storage mentioned here (haven't actually used it myself since I couldn't work out how to rsync my files).

rc

• player
#3 Re: Unlimited online photo storage site?
August 28, 2008, 09:17:13 am
Picasa is great for ease of use and I think you can upload any image size (?). The upload from picasa2 is v. low hassle.
Storage-wise it is a bit annoying: I currently get 1GB storage for photos and 7GB for my email. Amount for email keeps growing - for picasa has not changed much.
I can upgrade to 10GB shared across mail and picasa for $20 a year - which is hardly any different than I have now except I get to use spare email space for photos.
40GB (shared mail + picasa) is $75 a year - not cheap!

Of the various alternatives I've seen the best looking (imho) is smugmug
Unlimited storage, $40 a year, nice interface.

Cheapest? = Flickr upgrade to unlimited storage for $25 a year. I find flickr a bit annoying and have had trouble with their upload tool crashing out when I have set it to upload a lot of images - but that is probably my incompetence.

Dont know how this compares to buying your own webspace [or using the free space we all get with a broadband deal] and using e.g. jalbum to display photos.
rc

underground

• forum hero
#4 Re: Unlimited online photo storage site?
August 28, 2008, 11:08:28 pm
Thanks for the recent replies guys - I'm currently uploading my entire image folder to Humyo, it's taking a while but is a one click effort- so on that level, is exactly what I wanted. The limit is 25Gb but that's way more than I need at the mo - for Shutterfly one needs to select the files within folders to upload, and I'd be there forever doing that....

See how I go - I intend to try some of those 'hobby' sites also, but wouldn't rely on them. In fact I'm gonna spread mesen about a bit cos I wouldn't rely on any internet bollocks. Today's free and brilliant site is tomorrows corporate cash cow....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Unlimited online photo storage site?
August 29, 2008, 03:44:17 am

I'm still a Flickr fan - it's not free but it's uber cheap for what you get.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal