UKBouldering.com

Gritstone Slabs (Read 20787 times)

Paz

• junky
#50 Re: Gritstone Slabs
July 28, 2008, 05:10:05 pm
The Brush Off mixed up with Grim Fandango.

You have, yeah. Glad to hear the midges weren't too bad anyway.  Can anyone think of a third good name that ends in `ngo' or Um Bongo's getting a Warlock next to it?  We've already got a Mambo Jambo (under mesh) in the gorge and Ali Bongo's a little too provocative, even for me.  

Fiend - yeah you could go to Black Rocks too, of course, and I always meant to check out Duke's Quarry.  And maybe Cowper Stone and Ramshaw in the evening.  Is Ravenstones really shit and green?

JB - glad to hear it.  More crags please.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#51 Re: Gritstone Slabs
July 28, 2008, 05:20:51 pm
In weather like this I don't tend to go climbing at all unless big chossy sea cliffs are available. Plenty of grit venues, as mentioned above, are good in the summer but right now I just want a swim. Grinah stones are a required visit, Rylstone north, Simon's seat, lord's seat etc, anywhere catching a breeze.

Paz

• junky
#52 Re: Gritstone Slabs
July 28, 2008, 05:47:08 pm
It is sweltering.  I can't climb for long at the moment without my feet expanding and getting painfully tight, so am trying for morning/ evening mini sessions.  I tried getting larger punter boots a few years ago, but they were so shit I coudn't use them on anything hard (not wihout trying, but I'd trust my trainers just as much) and still hurt my feet just as much as my good ones that I could remove on belays, so I gave em away.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#53 Re: Gritstone Slabs
July 28, 2008, 05:55:41 pm
... and I always meant to check out Duke's Quarry.

Thanks for the reminder - must go and do Great Crack soon!

bluebrad

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#54 Re: Gritstone Slabs
July 28, 2008, 05:57:12 pm
Hence why shuffling about on choss where boots best kept comfy. A few years ago I would have agreed with you on tight boots or trainers, but have since seen the light on comfy trad boots. Make sure they're lace-up, so you can crank 'em right up for the hard pitches, and white. Like trainers, a slightly different style of climbing is required but once accepted you can climb much harder than in trainers.

Paz

• junky
#55 Re: Gritstone Slabs
July 29, 2008, 10:56:27 am
Make sure they're lace-up, so you can crank 'em right up for the hard pitches, and white.

Can you still get Newton's?

Anyway I can't be doing with learning and trusting a whole new comfy boot climbing style, I want easy answers, dammit!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#56 Re: Gritstone Slabs
July 29, 2008, 08:40:24 pm
Make sure they're lace-up, so you can crank 'em right up for the hard pitches, and white.

Can you still get Newton's?

No you fucking can't  :wall: :wall: :wall: :furious: :furious: :furious: , best shoe that ever fitted me, grrrrrr  :wall: :furious:

andy popp

• forum hero
#57 Re: Gritstone Slabs
August 03, 2008, 07:45:50 pm
Dave mentioned Don't Slip Now right at the start of this thread. A good route but IMO far harder than the similar E5 (and even E6) slabs a few yards away at Froggat - fluffable and with a very dangerous landing. Be careful out there.

nik at work

• forum hero
#58 Re: Gritstone Slabs
August 03, 2008, 08:16:58 pm
Really? I thought it was complete piss with just one move on it, although I will grant you a fall is not an option that I would be keen to experience.

Oh well one mans whatever is another mans something completely different and all that....

Kingy

• forum hero
#59 Re: Gritstone Slabs
August 03, 2008, 08:22:17 pm
 :agree:

No shit. A friend of mine proceeded to crush all of the Froggatt slabs up to E5 onsight. He then turned his attention to this little number on his own in the days before mobile phones or mats. He ignored the route name and fell off on the onsight from the crux onto some very nasty boulders badly breaking multiple bones in his foot. He had to crawl all the way back to Froggatt where he met the rest of the uni group and was given a piggy back all the way back to the layby. A salutory tale.  

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#60 Re: Gritstone Slabs
August 03, 2008, 08:33:10 pm
Really? I thought it was complete piss with just one move on it, although I will grant you a fall is not an option that I would be keen to experience.

Oh well one mans whatever is another mans something completely different and all that....

Be aware this comes from "The Slabmaster"   :-\

andy popp

• forum hero
#61 Re: Gritstone Slabs
August 03, 2008, 10:24:45 pm

Ain't that the truth.

GCW, I reckon your friend was 'lucky'.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#62 Re: Gritstone Slabs
August 03, 2008, 10:25:53 pm
Yeah, I think the same about his onsight of Doug :lol:

mark s

• junky
#63 Re: Gritstone Slabs
August 05, 2008, 07:39:44 pm
Yeah, I think the same about his onsight of Doug :lol:

he doesnt want to take any credit for that either because the first two moves are the same as fistful of crystals.!!!
onsight as far as i'm concerned. :bow:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#64 Re: Gritstone Slabs
August 09, 2008, 09:48:03 pm
ave mentioned Don't Slip Now right at the start of this thread. A good route but IMO far harder than the similar E5 (and even E6) slabs a few yards away at Froggat - fluffable and with a very dangerous landing.

Exactly my opinion. The Froggatt E6s are far worse! I'd say Jugged Hare was two grades harder.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal