UKBouldering.com

First time to the UK, Bouldering? (Read 2730 times)

Tim G.

First time to the UK, Bouldering?
August 10, 2008, 01:31:24 pm
I'll be flying into London from Boston on 8/16 and then off to Paris on the 8/22. I have a wedding to go to in Henley on 8/20 and 8/21. Will it be wise to drive up to the Peak District on the 17th for basically 1 and a half days of bouldering. Is the drive far? I'd also enjoy visiting some of the old gardens over there, sounds like there is a nice one near Henley and Oxford. So does it make more sense to do this, or drive up to check out Stanage and Burbage? 

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: First time to the UK, Bouldering?
August 10, 2008, 01:41:16 pm

It'll be a 2.5 to 3hr drive or thereabouts so not too bad :)

Whilst your in the area there's also the gardens at Chatsworth House which may interest you.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: First time to the UK, Bouldering?
August 10, 2008, 02:04:35 pm
i travelled 40 hours on trains, ferry and buses just to try rockatrocity in parisella's cave after three total hours of sleep.
get in the car.

Tim G.

#3 Re: First time to the UK, Bouldering?
August 10, 2008, 02:51:51 pm
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, problem solved. So where should I visit, plantation boulders, any must visit problems? Where can I rent a bouldering pad and get a guide of some sort?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#4 Re: First time to the UK, Bouldering?
August 10, 2008, 03:26:18 pm
i travelled 40 hours on trains, ferry and buses just to try rockatrocity in parisella's cave after three total hours of sleep.
get in the car.

It's true.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: First time to the UK, Bouldering?
August 10, 2008, 03:27:20 pm
tim i'm not british but have been around the forum long enough to know that now the lime is calling. you'll be boiling and escaping from insect bites at plantation i reckon, far better to go and check out the limestone crags where you can sport climb or boulder on historical, powerful and polished problems by moon, moffatt, cameron and many more. seriously, a must do. dunno about pad rentals but if you hook up with some ukb'er you'll need nothing apart from steely fingers.
 :thumbsup:

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#6 Re: First time to the UK, Bouldering?
August 10, 2008, 03:28:53 pm
The inescapeable humidity of late has forced me to the board. I hope conditions let up for your stay tim!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7 Re: First time to the UK, Bouldering?
August 10, 2008, 04:19:25 pm
Could be too hot or could be pissing down. If it's too hot go to North Wales and enjoy the bouldering in the mountain passes. If it's pissing down, moan about and go to the Works...

tc

• junky
#8 Re: First time to the UK, Bouldering?
August 10, 2008, 04:57:33 pm
Could be too hot or could be pissing down. If it's too hot go to North Wales and enjoy the bouldering in the mountain passes. If it's pissing down, moan about and go to the Works...

And miss out on the tender joys of the mighty Bowderstone? Surely not?  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: First time to the UK, Bouldering?
August 10, 2008, 08:10:58 pm
Head for the Peak. If it's overcast and windy, get to Stanage and/or Burbage. If its warm, head up to some of windier / cooler venues. If it's pissing down, go to Chatsworth. Regardless where you go, there will be folk with pads, guaranteed. Be firendly and approachable, most people will be happy to share.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#10 Re: First time to the UK, Bouldering?
August 11, 2008, 08:27:07 am
 :agree: with all of the above. You can hire a pad from the Climbing Works : http://www.climbingworks.com/

Surely the stanage tour guide will be up for a mid summer coach party?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal