UKBouldering.com

The wednesday after work MTB riding thread (xc saddle sniffers) (Read 63117 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
is this representative of what the course is like?
Yes - they are doing the black start which is the best one imo.

The cam does make it look a lot less steep but gives a pretty good idea. It's nowhere near as steep as Caersws and the top section contours back and forth across the hill which gives moderately steep straight sections joined by steep bermed corners.

Where is the bit with the heinous double / step up that gracia bust his bike on? is it the bit before the tunnel?? If so looks avoidable  ;D which is what I would intend.
That's the Quarry Jump. At exactly 56 seconds on the vid you see the rider going just to the left of a small slab of rock and then down a gully beneath it. The Quarry Jump launches off that small slab of rock and crosses the gully landing slightly hipped beyond it. You'd have to be going *very* fast to clear it and you wouldn't want to crash!

At 1:56 the rider diverts off the right - this is a fun bit of quick singletrack through the trees but is off the main descent (you can see the main track down to his left) and not as quick overall.

The lower half of the track (from 2:46) is totally different in character - open, fast and with big (though optional) jumps. The bridge drop at 3:28 is one of the nicest things i've ridden - you just float down it, lovely!

That looks like it might be fun on my hardtail too...
I've followed a really good guy down on a hardtail - he was quick but it looked brutal. Not really a "fun" day out as such on a HT I wouldn't have said...

Yossarian

• forum hero
i suppose the bit i remember from that rowan sorrell movie was the bottom section, which looked nice and smooth. a bit like a bigger version of the end of the red route at ae.

well, the big bike needs dusting off anyhow!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
cool!!
 :great:

I'll be avoiding that quarry jump mind....

Yossarian

• forum hero
bubba - that final section, is it quite easy to push back up there, rather than rely on the uplift?  just thinking that i might be able to get a couple of hours in on the way back from somewhere, and it would be nice to not to have to worry about booking the uplift.

had a look at some youtube footage of that jump.  it looks nasty...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Yeah, you could easily push up the bottom section, or probably hike up a bit and then along the fireroad that crosses the track at the top of the lower section - you can see the little drop off the fireroad at 2:46.

Quarry jump doesn't look too bad on video but it belies the speed you'd need going in and how constricted and off-camber the landing zone is. I'm just a wuss I guess ;)

Oli

• obsessive maniac
I'd definitely be up for a UKB uplift day  :thumbsup:
I'll have to reconstruct my retro steed and get riding more!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Fuck me.. Fbsfs 10 inch rig would not save me from that off camber hell. I'm taking the chicken run.

As the uplift looks pretty easy to book once a couple of months in advance post your availabilty here for let's say mid April onwards. I'll take 5 from sheff. If I end up booking this I expect money prior to booking.. Coz I've been arsed about before and I'm not the game of "I'll pay you on the day mate"

So, put your chips in. Let's play

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
weds? Huge front coming through....

If not total gale cons I'll probs be out, nothing spesh but I'll have a go I reckon

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
A Cwmcarn uplift would be good fun. I've done a day there before and its a nice course. All rollable, so anyone could get down it. I'll certainly come if I'm free.

Can't ride tomorrow as I'm away for meetings, and then off skiing for 2 weeks so no riding for me.

Picked up the Hemlock, its in amazing condition. Agreed a deal on some 32 Talas R which will do for now until I can actually ride the bike and see what forks it really needs....

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Am going out tonight not tomorrow if anyone is interested?

tlr - do you want to borrow some 32 floats or vanilla to 'test' rather than buying some talas.  Floats are in perfect condition, vanilla's less so  ;) but you are welcome to try either. 

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
punter circuit at works to get arm pump for me tonight... that and fitting some DH tyres and tubes (with an increase of some kilos in rolling mass to bike) to get ready for spain!!!

there again, better wait until after XC ride weds  :P

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio

tlr - do you want to borrow some 32 floats or vanilla to 'test' rather than buying some talas.  Floats are in perfect condition, vanilla's less so  ;) but you are welcome to try either. 

Thanks a lot for the offer, but the deal is now done on the Talas R. Not sure the steerer on yours will be long enough anyway, ideally it needs to be 210mm.

I might well end up with some longer forks when I can bring myself to spend the money, but I'll see how 140mm feels to start with.

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
weds?
Finally, I wouldn't say no. Not sure that I'm on the most worthy of steeds but she labours a heavy frame along a daily commute and survives all the lumps and bumps in Sheffield's tarmac. Where and when?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
details to follow, i'll speak to shorton &fatkid... 18:30 earliest time usually.. (often ends up at 19:00) at bottom of eccy woods, footpath that breaks ino the woods opposite first set of semis after pond after beauchief as riding out of town on abbeydale rd..

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
change of plan.  am training tonight so will be out on the bike tomorrow.  18:30 eccy woods?

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
survives all the lumps and bumps
Typically the rear gears seem to be one out this morning on the way to work. I will try and get it fixed at lunchtime but I'm not sure if I've got all the right tools at work with me today. Don't hang around waiting for me, if I'm there, I'm there :(

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
slack rear mech cable?

just tighten with wind adjuster ( on gear changer housing, or sometimes nest to mech if it non shadow shimano..)

I'll be there at 18:30... probs go through my local woods to get there.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Sunday morning anyone?  Txt me

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Will actually be going out on my bike tomorrow night for the first time in ages.  Anyone fancy it? 6.30 Eccy Woods

fatkid2000

• junky
I'm off games - still.

fatkid2000

• junky
Does this great event still take place or has it died? I have one more week of revision hell then I'm free all summer for some after work rides.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
I'm still doing it. Often by way of van to ringinglow straight from work to get the footpaths in..

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Keeps me away from the jay boy wanna be XCers, no competative shite

All welcome.. As always

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
You out tomorrow FD?  I too have currently abandonned Big Wed crew but will be out tomorrow?  Some of the trails over Rivelin way will be good at the mo?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal