UKBouldering.com

The wednesday after work MTB riding thread (xc saddle sniffers) (Read 63086 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
 :o :o :o :o :o

There, that proves it. All MTBs should be allowed on footpaths... so we can resusitate the great british public!!

that permafrost was well set in today, well stanage was rock solid anyways (apparent north)... my riding however comprised of a few runs through the boggy leaf infested trails in graves park  :'( as I try to get the angle of the helmet cam right on my full facer! Sounds a simple job? trust me, it's a right damn faff! seem to have a plan now though.

doubt i'll do any real MTB tomorrow, I'll play for an hour then consider another freezing spotter session at stanage (aka fatherly duties)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Jeez Percy, that's rather intense!

I suspect i'll be in need of CPR when I start the new-year's fitness regime next week :lol:

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Forecast until the middle of Jan seems to be dry and baltic - getting proper cold again next week, so all good for MTB action. Even managed to get out for a quick 20 miles on my way to work this morning (on the road bike, sorry) and the roads were dry, and there were no dying runners which was great. Deffo psyched for making the most of the weather whilst it lasts!

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Any of you lot out on Wednesday?  Am planning to go do Narnia again.  We walked down it on New Year's Day (was too hungover to ride) and it was total permafrost.  Any takers?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Stanage trig to plantation back up to higgar, to burn west to classic burn to blakka

Any takers??

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
I can't play this week as I'll be in the Lakes with work.

Wrap up warm though, the car registered -7 at Burbage South this morning on the way to work  :o

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
What's up with going out to the Peak FD?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
start time... :'(

i'll be in touch..

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
sure.  this was my idea not a Big Wednesday crew do.  They are off in search of Toddy getting fit so big xc rides which doesn't float my, err, vanilla's  ::)  Start time is therefore negotiable + 1/2 hour for Jerry to turn up.  :)

You got some lights yet Percy?  I have a spare set you may be able to borrow if the wifey ain't out with them

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
hmmm tempting.

i'll see what i can do

I'm expecting total freeze.... exaclty how cold were you with Jerry last week??

how many layers??]

fatkid2000

• junky
Yeap its going to be Very cold - apparently around minus 5 or lower - may need to develop a temporary fat cover!!!re

My main problem is start times due to work not being that flexible on a Wednesday.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
I had three layers on top and wore a beanie and it was just ok tbh.  I just didn't stop to wait for Jerry, or at least stopped him from taking a break when I did if you know what I mean ::)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
You got some lights yet Percy?  I have a spare set you may be able to borrow if the wifey ain't out with them

A kind offer, but unless you've got a set that work through closed eyes then they'll be no good for me. I seem to spend a lot of my downhill time with my eyes shut......

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
WTF ? That's what the climbs are for :shrug:

Norton Sharley

• forum hero

A kind offer, but unless you've got a set that work through closed eyes then they'll be no good for me. I seem to spend a lot of my downhill time with my eyes shut......

in that case lights are of no use and you could come out in the dark?

I suspect you are making excuses young man

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
you can borrow mine. will take me like 30 seconds to fit on yr bike, and they're charged!!

coz I have the time in ride in the light today, I'm just off out.

sorry guys....but as I have the choice of french onion soup (mine.. the best incl balsamic and thyme reduction, topped with gruyere,sage and lardon stuffings balls) or Poulet au Pot (aka Henry the IVth chicken) with real homemade fauxmeat stuffing, belly of pork, fennel and leeks with a dijon mustard caper and cornichon dressing and an unforeseen gap in my day to get out and ride then I'm afraid that's it!!

fatkid2000

• junky
No wonder you're so fat - all that food, anybody would think its Christmas again. :o

Looks like it needs to be a long ride to burn that lot off!!!!!

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
Usual time and place tomorrow night?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Not for me, training tomorrow (climbing).  Out on Thursday night though if you are interested?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
beautiful still conditions destined to change at night fall :-( dunno my start time, depends on fatkid.

Defo out though..

Got a little plan for a route ;-)

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
You want to be concentrating on d/h fatdoc, not xc. 20mins of descent in spain and you'll be whimpering with arm pump to rival a yorkshire 8a+ sport route

fatkid2000

• junky
You want to be concentrating on d/h fatdoc, not xc. 20mins of descent in spain and you'll be whimpering with arm pump to rival a yorkshire 8a+ sport route

Can't wait!!! Good job I've upped my upper body training and bouldering.

It was a touch foggy this evening with visibility down to 10 yards on Houndkirk and around Burbage.

Popped into the Crown in Totley, after running into some deer on Blakka - the alcoholic landlord was suppose to do his last day today but didn't bother to turn up. Phil - the kid behind the bar - is trying to get the tenancy to become the landlord. It would appear him and his Dad are trying to sort the place out with the brewery that own it. Hopefully it stays open - but I doubt it will with the current downturn in the pub trade.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
:agree:

A Cwmcarn session would get you in the zone for Spain - I know it's a DH track but it's easily all ridable on a shorter-travel bike, you'd just go marginally slower.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
is this representative of what the course is like?

/www.bikeradar.com/news/article/bikeradar-video-of-the-week-mbuk-hit-cwmcarn-19974

I'd be well happy on my Marin on that, looks awesome!  NO doubt there is a lot of *the helmet cam makes it look far less steep*, but I'll defo going there for the uplift in the spring.. I'd prefer it to be a least vaguely dry!! The bottom section looks to have various lines, no obligatory doubles??

Where is the bit with the heinous double / step up that gracia bust his bike on? is it the bit before the tunnel?? If so looks avoidable  ;D which is what I would intend.

I reckon TLR & Shorton would be up for a day there an all   :)  UKB big day away later on year?? All invited?

I'm in.

Yossarian

• forum hero
I'm v keen.

That looks like it might be fun on my hardtail too...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal