UKBouldering.com

Northumberland Bouldering Guide out.. (Read 8820 times)

philo

• forum hero
yeah i heard the plans and from i hear it will be unreal.
first climbing wall in the northeast with a "training" section?
andy and chris etc know what they are doing so it should be a top gym

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
I hear they are having trouble with the padded walls installed to prevent foot breakage when kicking walls in anger, but they have had some success in adopting surf board style leashes to prevent too many chalk bags flying.  8)

Darren S

• addict
    • www.climbnewcastle.com

Didn't know I had changed my name   ;)

And yes it will be unreal.

Regards

Mr etc

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Not wishing to open a can o' worms but has there been any changes to amend FA details and names of some problems that were done in the late 90's at Bowden and elsewhere by folk from outside the county that were 'overlooked' during the writing of the previous guide?   :whistle:

philo

• forum hero

Didn't know I had changed my name   ;)

And yes it will be unreal.

Regards

Mr etc

sorry ;] dont know all involved just hearing bits and pieces!
is there going to be a powerball arena?

Darren S

• addict
    • www.climbnewcastle.com
Maybe a dodgeball arena  :-\

We are not having a DWS section, sorry, before anyone asks........

again.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Not wishing to open a can o' worms but has there been any changes to amend FA details and names of some problems that were done in the late 90's at Bowden and elsewhere by folk from outside the county that were 'overlooked' during the writing of the previous guide?   :whistle:

If that's not a bumper sized can o' worms, I would like to know what is.  There isn't a whole stack of FA information at all really.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Nothing too controversial but during the early to mid 90's there were regular trips to the county from the North and South when most of the new bouldering was developed.  When the harder lines were being done (The Crack etc.) there were loads of other lines cleaned and climbed.  Unfortunately, when the last guide was written, many of these lines were deliberately renamed and the FA details ignored.

No big deal really but it did seem a little petty and narrow minded at the time and it will be hard to unpick if anyone wants to write a definative history of development.

jdal

• regular
From Falling Down: 
Nothing too controversial but during the early to mid 90's there were regular trips to the county from the North and South when most of the new bouldering was developed.  When the harder lines were being done (The Crack etc.) there were loads of other lines cleaned and climbed.  Unfortunately, when the last guide was written, many of these lines were deliberately renamed and the FA details ignored.

No big deal really but it did seem a little petty and narrow minded at the time and it will be hard to unpick if anyone wants to write a definative history of development.

Which problems do you mean? Give's an example. Because there's bog all FA information in the 1st guide. If you look at the 90's, on Bowden the only problem given an FA by a local is Pulp Friction by Dan Smith. Non Locals Malcolm Smith(Flying Stag) and Richie Patterson (Staggered) are the only other mentions.
No problems are mentioned by name in Back Bowden or Kyloe In. There are a couple at Kyloe Out :- Albatross, Bar SKittles and Learning To Fly - AndyE, When The Fat Lady Sings - Bob Smith.

I keep meaning to have a go at updating the NMC online guide to get the bouldering FA stuff, maybe this winter.

Doylo

• forum hero
:whistle: What DVD?! Oh shit yeah, trailer and date soon I promise...I've been slightly preoccupied doing other things.

cool, good luck. It'll be good to have somewhere to go when visitin the grandparents!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal