UKBouldering.com

Firefox 3, and a new World Record (Read 5850 times)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Firefox 3, and a new World Record
June 17, 2008, 11:22:46 pm
Firefox 3 has been released, and Mozilla are setting a new World Record to see how many people download it in one day, 24 hours. The timer has started, so get downloading now.

From what I understand, there is currenlty no official record for the most number of downloads in any one 24 hour period, so they're gonna make a World Record whatever.

Oooh.. I've had a thought

Does this work:

Oh boy I'm good!  ;D

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
June 17, 2008, 11:56:33 pm
just downloaded it...all looks good apart from my add-on for a new tab button isn't compatible anymore. Need to dig out something new...

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#2 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
June 18, 2008, 03:25:58 am
Whats wrong with ctrl-T?

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
June 18, 2008, 12:21:13 pm
i'm lazy thats what

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
June 18, 2008, 01:09:48 pm
i'm lazy thats what

Two keys is too much?  How do you manage to post in the forum, you even use capital letters (some times)  :P

Need to dig out something new...

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
June 18, 2008, 09:20:58 pm
Zod's Beard enjoys the new Firefox alot, kudos to them for making it free.

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
June 23, 2008, 08:40:45 pm
has anyone else noticed that the download console on firefox 3 is a bit downmarket compared to the rest of it?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
June 24, 2008, 01:38:15 am

There's lots of mods to sort the download screen out - I use All in One Sidebar which does lots of other handy stuff too.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 18, 2008, 03:04:32 pm
You computer wads probably know this, but I've just found out pressing f11 gets rid of the toolbar, real. Shamefully harvested from goat talk.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#9 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 18, 2008, 03:08:02 pm
You computer wads probably know this, but I've just found out pressing f11 gets rid of the toolbar, real. Shamefully harvested from goat talk.

Pressing F11 maximises the screen area - does exactly the same thing in IE as well.

Version 3.0.1 is also available now.

bluebrad

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 18, 2008, 10:26:06 pm
It hasn't been working too well IMO or at least not on my laptop, regularly crashes which isn't something i'd previously had to contend with in V2.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#11 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 19, 2008, 07:29:16 am
It hasn't been working too well IMO or at least not on my laptop, regularly crashes which isn't something i'd previously had to contend with in V2.

3.0.1 is an update on the new Firefox 3.0.0 so that might solve your problem... With the exception of certain add-ons not working and a brief struggle getting used to how it looks and does things it has been no problems for me at work or at home.

bluebrad

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 19, 2008, 10:01:28 pm
installed that recently so we'll see.

One thing that seems a little strange is one of the add-ons I use installed fine at home on V3.0.0 which subsequently updated without issue and still works however I've just updated my parents version which i'm now using and said add-on claims that it's no longer compatible. Very odd but not really an issue.
 :shrug:

underground

• forum hero
#13 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 19, 2008, 11:09:07 pm
In my case it seems all my extensions are corrupt - and I can't install any more. i followed the advice on the mozilla site, but for every couple of successful installations, I get the '203' error message - deleting the extensions files in my FF profile removes all my extensions, and doesn't silve the problem like it suggests it should.

Pah.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#14 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 20, 2008, 07:29:15 am
In my case it seems all my extensions are corrupt - and I can't install any more. i followed the advice on the mozilla site, but for every couple of successful installations, I get the '203' error message - deleting the extensions files in my FF profile removes all my extensions, and doesn't silve the problem like it suggests it should.

Pah.

Suspect that it is time to kill off your FF profile and start again - try this link which seems to cover all of what you need to know...

bluebrad

underground

• forum hero
#15 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 20, 2008, 07:54:07 pm
Nice one - however I just deleted my default profile without realising it would burn all my bookmarks..... can they be retrieved?

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#16 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 21, 2008, 08:21:07 am
I just knew I should have added in a caveat mentioning bookmarks but thought better of it....  :(

Unless someone knows better then I think that you are pretty much borked on getting them back but have a look here for instructions on how to find the old default folder though I suspect that it was deleted when you killed the default user profile. Assuming that the <random characters>.default profile exists then follow the instructions here to get them back.

bluebrad

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#17 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 21, 2008, 09:58:22 am
Nice one - however I just deleted my default profile without realising it would burn all my bookmarks..... can they be retrieved?

Did you make a backup ;-)

An alternative to bookmarks in your browser that is more flexible and accessible from any computer is to use something like del.icio.us to tag sites with key words, and bunch those key words into groups.  Takes a bit of getting used to, but very handy, and you can simply add a button to your toolbar in firefox to tag a site your viewing.

This in turn ameliorates any problems encountered with local browser installations/re-configuration/etc.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 21, 2008, 03:02:58 pm
Foxmarks is the shit for syncing bookmarks across multiple computers, and backing them up online.

Also, this extension makes adding bookmarks into the right place much easier - Opera style I believe.

underground

• forum hero
#19 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 21, 2008, 08:53:00 pm

Did you make a backup ;-)

An alternative to bookmarks in your browser that is more flexible and accessible from any computer is to use something like del.icio.us to tag sites with key words, and bunch those key words into groups.  Takes a bit of getting used to, but very handy, and you can simply add a button to your toolbar in firefox to tag a site your viewing.

This in turn ameliorates any problems encountered with local browser installations/re-configuration/etc.

Whew! I didn't make a backup, that would have been too easy. It's bradley's fault for not telling me too  ;)

Fortunately, Vista has just repayed the faults by having a brilliant right click menu item 'restore previous versions' I just reinstalled Firefox 2.0.16, r clicked the profiles folder, and set it back to a copy from the 14th... like nothing ever changed.....

Relieved is not the word, in this case since me gyal is a heavy relier on bookmarks for work n shit and also relies on me to make sure the 'pooter runs glitch free. The fool.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#20 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 21, 2008, 08:58:52 pm

Whew! I didn't make a backup, that would have been too easy. It's bradley's fault for not telling me too  ;)

The important lesson learnt here is to make backups expect fools to show up in the most odd places - even on UKB...  ;)

bluebrad
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:04:21 pm by bluebrad, Reason: clarity »

underground

• forum hero
#21 Re: Firefox 3, and a new World Record
July 21, 2008, 10:06:20 pm
He he, I meant she was the fool for relying on my abilities as an IT techy  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal