UKBouldering.com

Basel Sport Climbing (Read 5304 times)

Greg C

• forum hero
Basel Sport Climbing
July 15, 2008, 10:35:32 am
I've got a day or so in the vicinity of Basel (Switzerland) and I was wondering if someone could recommend a good single pitch sport crag/s in the area which has easy access and a decent quantity of routes? Preferably somewhere featured in the Schweiz Plaisir Jura guide (which I have).

BenF

• forum hero
#1 Re: Basel Sport Climbing
July 15, 2008, 02:36:20 pm
I don't know mate, but I'm passing by that way in a few weeks and may try to climb in the Basel area if there's anything decent worth stopping off for.  So please pass on your thoughts if you do climb and you're back before I leave for the Alps (just over two weeks from now).  Thanks.

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Basel Sport Climbing
July 15, 2008, 03:03:48 pm
mayebe a bit far but Lehn near Interlaken (about 90miles, <2h) is really good.

Greg C

• forum hero
#3 Re: Basel Sport Climbing
July 15, 2008, 03:32:03 pm
Cheers guys. As I've only got a day and half 90 miles is a bit of a stretch but ta anyway. There are a couple of nice looking spots in the guide so I'll just suck em' and see. I'm going tomorrow so I'll report back with any useful info.

BenF

• forum hero
#4 Re: Basel Sport Climbing
July 15, 2008, 03:36:11 pm
mayebe a bit far but Lehn near Interlaken (about 90miles, <2h) is really good.

Tell me more... if that's okay?

I've got the Plaisir West guide which covers the crags lower down the hill from Lehn but am obviously keen to spend some time at Lehn too.  However, I've not managed to get much information off the web so far.  What's the climbing like, grade range, number of routes, bolts etc?  Also, I presume a topo can be got hold of in Interlaken yeah?

JonI

• regular
#5 Re: Basel Sport Climbing
July 15, 2008, 10:00:55 pm
I've not been there myself, but I've heard from a few people that the Basler Jura is a pretty good area,

try Cheunisberg for hard sport climbing

http://www.8a.nu/scorecard/Search.aspx?Mode=SIMPLE&AscentType=0&CragName=Chuenisberg

there's some bouldering in addition to the sport climbing at Pelzli too

http://www.scalamalade.ch/search=pelzli

definately enough for a day and a half!

Greg C

• forum hero
#6 Re: Basel Sport Climbing
July 22, 2008, 11:24:42 am
Ended up going to Schartenfluh and Hoffstettenchopfli, really good crags especially the former. The whole area looks very good and a viable option for a long weekend sport climbing, especially with the cheap flights available to Basel. The bolts are all pretty new and good quality, although some of the placements are a bit fruity, but nothing to bring on the terrors. The crags I saw/visited were similar in setting/rock type to Chapel Head, i.e. on wooded hillsides, not mega steep and quite edgy. I bet the area looks fantastic in autumn.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Basel Sport Climbing
July 22, 2008, 12:01:29 pm
Schartenfluh and Hoffstettenchopfli

I would visit both places based purely on the great names.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal