UKBouldering.com

New lowball at Almscliff (Read 14352 times)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#50 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
July 16, 2008, 06:52:19 pm
One of the best problems I did at Font this year was 6b Traveaux Forces,  http://new.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=67280

It is indeed a great problem. 

:agree: A real cracker!

Pantontino

• forum hero
#51 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
July 16, 2008, 06:56:33 pm
Oh, and one final thing - is The Keel really 7c? Is that what people reckon these days?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#52 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
July 16, 2008, 07:02:03 pm
Oh, and one final thing - is The Keel really 7c? Is that what people reckon these days?

In keeping with the young guys taking down  big numbers thread, I thought benchmark V4.

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#53 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
July 16, 2008, 11:31:40 pm

well, you tell us..

back in the day you took the 10 didn't ya?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#54 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
July 17, 2008, 08:17:08 am
Brand new bouldering guide for the county is just out too.

And Vol2 of Yorkshire guide will have Brown Beck in it :devangel:

Wonder if my prob will get a mention. At 6b probably not.

Why not, there are some excellent and very hard 6b's out there. One of the best problems I did at Font this year was 6b Traveaux Forces,  http://new.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=67280

I haven't looked at the new guides, but got the impression they were aimed more at higher grades than lower ones. Not being critical of probs at the grade at all.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#55 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
July 17, 2008, 09:09:51 am

well, you tell us..

back in the day you took the 10 didn't ya?

Too right, that glorious double figure B grade - who wouldn't.  ;)

And apologies Steve, I forgot to mention you in the roll call of Yorkshire folk. See Tom, there are loads of Yorkies on here.

uptown

• junky
#56 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
July 17, 2008, 09:43:08 am

7b+ in my book, though top end. Grades mentioned on the list are from the definitive guides.
Do you know about the history of Blackhead btw? Can you ask Streaky if not? I think he did it with the bolt hole - I've got Doug Shepherd written down somewhere for an ascent without but he might be a giant? Anyhow - a superb 7b/+ morpho highball which probably deserves inclusion.
Do you still think DWR would just scrape 7a or were you just fit and strong back then?  :whistle:

Stubbs

#57 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
July 17, 2008, 11:21:20 am
Maybe they feel UKB is a 'peakie' site and hence not worthy of attention. I've always found it odd how much I get jibed by yorks/lancs climbers for being a 'peakie', when 'peakies' have no corresponding name or stance towards yorks/lancs climbers.
 Maybe it comes from a desire to keep yorkshire's secrets safe from marauding southerners.
 Maybe it's just because the Yorkshiregrit site is really good and additional publicity is not considered worth persuing.

Ah Yorkshire, how I miss thee - putting a graded list up for Almscliff when I'm nine timezones away in the jungle almost made me cry  :'(

I've found a problem with UKB in Yorkshire is that a lot of people only get pointed to topics that have gone in a bad direction - the most recent example being the yorks guidebook/2001dave topic, which was how a few yorkshire peeps were introduced to UKB.  These sort of topics get a lot of attention, and people don't see past these to the really useful sections like beta and training.  Also a large proportion of yorkshire climbers (that I know at least) are teachers, and therefore do not have time to waste during the day when they should be working sat in front of a computer!

ps keep your filthy peakie mits off our projects! Except the Rylstone one, that needs to be sent - it will be amazing!

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#58 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
July 18, 2008, 10:25:19 am
Also a large proportion of yorkshire climbers (that I know at least) are teachers, and therefore do not have time to waste during the day when they should be working sat in front of a computer!

They clearly need to change schools. Proffesor Scouse D is on here all the time.
As for me, it's our last day of term and I'm determined to do absolutely fuck all work today.

dave

#59 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
July 18, 2008, 10:36:23 am
I'm determined to do absolutely fuck all work today.

welcome to my world.

shoulnd't you traditionally be playing Connect4 or Kerplunk?

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#60 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
July 18, 2008, 10:38:35 am
Kerplunk?

With our kids?

I'd leave work looking like a pin cushion!

BenF

• forum hero
#61 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
July 18, 2008, 12:37:03 pm
Also a large proportion of yorkshire climbers (that I know at least) are teachers, and therefore do not have time to waste during the day when they should be working sat in front of a computer!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I feel that your statement should be true, but unfortunately I am not so dedicated and can nearly always find the time. 

Kerplunk?

With our kids?

I'd leave work looking like a pin cushion!

Likewise, except that with my class I'd just end up at A&E getting bits of semi-chewed plastic removed from various pupils stomachs.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#62 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
July 31, 2008, 12:40:38 pm

7b+ in my book, though top end. Grades mentioned on the list are from the definitive guides.
Do you know about the history of Blackhead btw? Can you ask Streaky if not? I think he did it with the bolt hole - I've got Doug Shepherd written down somewhere for an ascent without but he might be a giant? Anyhow - a superb 7b/+ morpho highball which probably deserves inclusion.
Do you still think DWR would just scrape 7a or were you just fit and strong back then?  :whistle:

Spoke to Streaky and he explained what happened with Blackhead. There was an old bolt on it, so he pulled it out (leaving a hole) and climbed the line, continuing to the top of the crag with a rope on. Chris Sowden then took umbrage for some reason and filled the dish/hole left by the old bolt. This meant that the line was now more morpho, but still possible (although Chris did not climb it). Streaky re-climbed it with a reachy move. He reckoned it was a better problem/route before the hold filling. This all happened in the early 80s; he wasn't sure what year.

DWR - isn't that standard 7a?  ;)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#63 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
August 01, 2008, 12:11:36 pm
Fashion Guru is ex Yorkshire and so am I, Johnny Brown, El Mocho.

hallowed company indeed

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#64 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
August 01, 2008, 01:18:52 pm
I take exception to being labelled 'ex-yorkshire'. I lam from Cheshire, and once lived in Leeds for 18 months as an experiment.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#65 Re: New lowball at Almscliff
August 01, 2008, 01:41:00 pm
I've heard that pays well, but there can be side effects.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal