UKBouldering.com

What rocks the Works? (Read 4953 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
What rocks the Works?
July 08, 2008, 04:35:56 pm
Crap title, but then again I'm working so my mellifluous prose is realigned to structured turnaround solutions on deliverable platforms.

Anyway, what's the vibe with a bit of metal down at the Works?  I'm sure I'd climb at least a grade harder to AC/DC live playing Thunderstruck than some  :wank: 'techno', and if we could have some 15 minute drum solos and prog rock classics I might even get my fat arse on the training wall or the 'board.

So how about it?  For those about to rock we salute you

David S

• stalker
#1 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 08, 2008, 04:49:55 pm
Been telling The Whittaker to stick some rock on for ages but with no joy. I know Percy likes a bit on the quiet. Good luck anyway.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#2 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 08, 2008, 04:58:41 pm
If I ever get around to finishing off rationalising my music I will stick it all on The Works iTunes.

Lots of rock, reggae and indie type stuff including about 10 GB of The Fall to entertain you.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#3 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 08, 2008, 05:09:09 pm
With the risk of requiring comradely re-education, I never did like The Fall that much.

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 08, 2008, 05:42:38 pm
With the risk of requiring comradely re-education, I never did like The Fall that much.
i guess if you like 15 minute drum solos you don't like music much either.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#5 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 08, 2008, 06:48:20 pm
Can I vote for you lot to get all the indie out of the way at the moment as I'm not going down there due to injury.

If you can bring back the techno (and reggae, hip-hop, old skool jungle, etc etc, and yeah a bit of metal too would be fine) for autumn, that would be dandy ;)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#6 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 08:39:14 am
more handbag, cheese infested, repeatedly rising dance classics please...

*hold that sucker down*

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#7 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 08:48:51 am
I'm all for diversity and pleasing people, but rock music and training?

Clearly music is personal choice and we'll never all agree but I would argue that the reason you dont walk past a gym and hear people doing rock aerobics is that rock music just doesnt lend itself to training. The repetitive nature of dance music and techno lets you get into the groove and perhaps the tuning into the beat, which is faster than their heart rate (unless you are about to die) give you a bit of a boost?

Then again, I like Techno and dance music, and my aerobics example is from anecdotal evidence gathered in western europe. I bet you could find a hard rock dance class in North America. Anyway, against the tide of aging rock gods - I like repetitive beats - more of the same please Works' cheeses!

dave

#8 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 09:00:22 am
anyone who thinks they won't climb harder to G&R's Appetite For Destruction needs their head read. this stuff is as good as cheating.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 09:24:32 am

It worked for Rocky...

Stubbs

#10 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 09:54:49 am

I could say the same about techno, but that would be letting my personal tastes cloud the issue  ;D

There isn't really anything repetitive about training for climbing which would require a beat to get into one's "groove", it's all about short sharp burst of energy, driven by intensity!

<----- Blood of the Kings, my best training song.

Stubbs

#11 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 09:57:17 am

account_inactive

• forum hero
#12 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 10:17:34 am
The only music that annoys me when I'm training is stuff that makes me listen..................OK hear me out with this one.

Music needs to be background our it starts to interfere with your climbing.  This is why dance music is great.  I don't want songs with lyrics that will make me sing along

Check out the benefits of techno/trance http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sport-music.html

Dolly

• forum hero
#13 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 10:22:32 am
more handbag, cheese infested, repeatedly rising dance classics please...

I'd agree with that. It just seems to work. Has anyone got any links to any BTW ?

As much as I love The Fall G, its just too.......dysfunctional  to train to IMO

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 10:42:38 am
Blood of the Kings, my best training song.

Gotta be battle hymns!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#15 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 10:56:00 am
The only music that annoys me when I'm training is stuff that makes me listen..................OK hear me out with this one.

Music needs to be background our it starts to interfere with your climbing.  This is why dance music is great.  I don't want songs with lyrics that will make me sing along

I concur. What I've liked about the Works music selection is that while it's pretty pleasing electronic dancey stuff, it's not too attention catching and kinda sits in the background nicely, providing a good sound without, as you say, interfering. You could have something more energetic and upfront on the dance front, for example (which would be more my personal taste) but it would start getting distracting.

But I think other music genres could also work. As long as it's not something too putrescent (e.g. Radio1 playlist).

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#16 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 03:43:58 pm
If you stick on RATM's Killing in the Name of (well the whole of that first RATM album, you know what I mean), and your psyche level's don't go into orbit, then your either comatose or dead. Your grade should jump by two at least  :goodidea:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#17 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 04:02:18 pm
If you stick on RATM's Killing in the Name of (well the whole of that first RATM album, you know what I mean), and your psyche level's don't go into orbit, then your either comatose or dead. Your grade should jump by two at least  :goodidea:

Fuck you I won't do what you tell me  :lol:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#18 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 04:51:09 pm
I'd probably go for The Fall if I had to choose any of the above, either that or somegood ol' Nordic Black Metal, Burzum for example.

I'm not into techno in climbing walls; time and a place etc..

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#19 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 09, 2008, 04:53:22 pm
Hang on, I'm not into walls.  What would I know?   ???

milksnake

• menacing presence
#20 Re: What rocks the Works?
July 10, 2008, 01:39:23 am
just don't listen to black metal whilst driving, it makes your foot heavy. definitely helps for power problems though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal