UKBouldering.com

Favourite UKB debate... (Read 7331 times)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#25 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 10, 2008, 11:17:09 am
As for the sexism, I'm sure that Magpie can produce some equally condescending reply to you. 
No point, it would take waaaay too long to explain what all the big words mean to him  ;)

In Fiend's defence I was going to post and say that given the tone of the rest of his post I would imagine that none of it was meant in a hurtful or disrespectful manner, but others beat me to it. 

I don't really have a favourite debating topic, its more fun watching threads shoot off at tangents from the original topic   :-*
:agree: I want to change my vote, again.

BenF

• forum hero
#26 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 10, 2008, 12:31:52 pm
In Fiend's defence I was going to post and say that given the tone of the rest of his post I would imagine that none of it was meant in a hurtful or disrespectful manner, but others beat me to it. 

I knew that but just took issue with such a phrase being used, joke or no joke.  Fiend is far too nice a guy to have actually meant it.

The "Johnny v Jerry, who was The Greatest?" thread was one of my favourites for interesting discussion.

Oh that was a great thread wasn't it? 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#27 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 10, 2008, 01:21:38 pm
It bears rereading. Perhaps it should really be titled "What you don't get on Cocktalk"?

Is that "wall" or "edge" fatdoc?  :lol:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#28 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 10, 2008, 01:46:07 pm
Strength/training VS. skills/technique was my vote but I'm now regretting it, currently the topic just frustrates me. It's a pointless discussion where both sides should accept that there is something to be learnt from the other. Strength training alone is never going to be the most efficient way of climbing. On the other hand you simply impose an artificial glass ceiling on your ability if you swear off the benefits of training in a modern sense.

Very true

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#29 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 15, 2008, 06:47:27 pm
The "Johnny v Jerry, who was The Greatest?" thread was one of my favourites for interesting discussion.

I agree it's a classic, but it's not really a typical recurring UKB debate (although maybe "Mental issues with trad climbing" should have been in...).

I knew that but just took issue with such a phrase being used, joke or no joke.  Fiend is far too nice a guy to have actually meant it.
LOL, see now that's a good joke, far too nice a guy hah...

I honestly didn't realise that it was regarded as such a derogatory term. I'd have thought "queer" or "fag" would be considered the bad ones. Next I'll find out that "gaylord" is inappropriate and my mates and my banter will be reduced to a series of primal grunts (it's not far off anyway) as our staple piss-taking terms are taboo...

Incidentally....the issue of homophobia (genuine, rather than banter) in climbing is an interesting, if somewhat serious one. Believe it or not (this is true though), a small part of me posting "birds or b******n" was making a subtle point about it being totally valid if gay climbers were admiring the thread. The other 90% was me being facile of course :)

Hmmmm so it seems, anyway, that training vs. technique is the public's pick. A good one but I've thought limestone vs. not would have been a good contender.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#30 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 16, 2008, 09:54:12 am
Yo Fiend. It's the word's association with this sort of thing that makes it offensive. Word.

webbo

• forum hero
#31 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 16, 2008, 10:45:56 am
 i prefer debates along the lines of how long it takes dave to get to caley.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#32 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 16, 2008, 11:09:54 am

I agree it's a classic, but it's not really a typical recurring UKB debate.

Actually it is typical as it was really just a "technique v training" discussion in a more highbrow guise!

Idol eyes

• junky
#33 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 16, 2008, 02:33:50 pm
I am not going to vote... however, I maintain the UK grade issue should
 ... be,    so.... tired, ...... wish...... somethin......... intresting.................. "yawn".......................... would .......................................happen!
"BOLTS", fuck yeah, we have all forgoten about bolt debates!!!
Is this too, a Jerry and Jonny ego blaster...
come on every one, lets all waste some more life talkin about bolts...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal