UKBouldering.com

Favourite UKB debate... (Read 7581 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 12:48:41 pm
See title. I quite like them all really. Apologies if I've missed out any (I did think of having a "False claims / lie o' connor" one but there's not much debate there).

account_inactive

• forum hero
#1 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 01:05:28 pm
You forgot the "Si'O - Bullshit or not" debates ;)

dave

#2 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 01:23:16 pm
someone aught to make a comment on this thread about si o'conor.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 01:25:44 pm
Where's the McFiend baiting option  :shrug: ;)  :P

Always entertaining to watch.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 01:26:18 pm
someone aught to make a comment on this thread about si o'conor.

I think 3 people just have :lol:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 02:48:03 pm
Where's the McFiend baiting option  :shrug: ;)  :P

Always entertaining to watch.

Beat me to it..... :furious:

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 03:25:39 pm
I don't think I understand the question, or at least not all the options.  ???  Lets just assume I'm only here for pictures of topless men.  :-*

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 03:39:52 pm
I don't think I understand the question, or at least not all the options.  ???  Lets just assume I'm only here for pictures of topless men.  :-*

Surely the best debates are about the relative merits of pictures of lady climbers and their conformity with our aesthetic values?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#8 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 03:43:18 pm
 :agree:

Totty or not totty, that is the question.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#9 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 03:44:41 pm
Those debates where people wind up someone about their alleged love of a fast food chain and the accused gets all puntery and worked up. I like those.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 03:51:16 pm
Totty or not totty, that is the question.
Yeah, change the poll, I vote for this option.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#11 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 04:36:28 pm
I don't think I understand the question, or at least not all the options.  ??? 

Maggie....it's a climbing thing, dearie. Boy stuff, you know.

(no not THAT sort of boy stuff  ::) )

Besides what is there to debate about the totty? Hot climbing chicks, great for everyone, hot climbing blokes, great if you're a bird or a battyman. Simple...

slackline, jasper, lagers...you'reallknobs!!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#12 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 04:55:32 pm
Spam n'all I know . . .

But Fiend, this is your shittest thread ever.    :thumbsdown:

BenF

• forum hero
#13 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 05:11:35 pm
battyman

Without meaning to sound too pc or make a big point, it's not a nice term to use mate.  Definitely pejorative and likely to be viewed as prejudice.

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 05:55:23 pm
Strength/training VS. skills/technique was my vote but I'm now regretting it, currently the topic just frustrates me. It's a pointless discussion where both sides should accept that there is something to be learnt from the other. Strength training alone is never going to be the most efficient way of climbing. On the other hand you simply impose an artificial glass ceiling on your ability if you swear off the benefits of training in a modern sense.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#15 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 06:11:01 pm
battyman

Without meaning to sound too pc or make a big point, it's not a nice term to use mate.  Definitely pejorative and likely to be viewed as prejudice.

This type of thing is always worth discussing. I have to say that I do feel that my life is enriched by reading peoples opinions on language (no, I'm not being flippant) - even when it descends into people anonymously telling each other to f*** off, I still like to think about the different opinions being discussed. I feel that this sort of thing is far more important and (cringe) helps me grow (criiiinge) more than debates about grades - even more interesting than the totty debate.

Is
battyboy
any better?

Didn't think so. (I was being flippant there)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#16 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 06:11:50 pm
Strength/training VS. skills/technique was my vote but I'm now regretting it, currently the topic just frustrates me. It's a pointless discussion where both sides should accept that there is something to be learnt from the other. Strength training alone is never going to be the most efficient way of climbing. On the other hand you simply impose an artificial glass ceiling on your ability if you swear off the benefits of training in a modern sense.

Sorted  :thumbsup:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#17 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 07:01:07 pm
Houdinizzle: Thank you so much, I'm glad this thread captivated your attention enough for you to put the effort into such an exceptionally worthwhile reply. Although slightly disheartened that you don't feel honoured that one of your regular climbing debates is on the list, albeit languishing in joint 3rd (I could vote for it myself, if it helps??)

Ben: A bite? Already! And a serious one at that. What next, someone calling me up on the blatant sexism in my reply to Ms M. Pie??

To be honest I didn't know how bad it was, certainly isn't that way in my social circles. For what it's worth I am totally homo-tolerant.

PaulB: I can imagine it does. I think the results may be skewed by that debate being the current topic du jour...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#18 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 07:19:52 pm
Is
battyboy
any better?

Didn't think so. (I was being flippant there)

Perhaps to be totally PC (a despicable and overly used "philosophy", but I'm going to indulge it just this once), one should use the term battyperson

I don't really have a favourite debating topic, its more fun watching threads shoot off at tangents from the original topic   :-*

BenF

• forum hero
#19 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 08:25:30 pm
Ben: A bite? Already! And a serious one at that. What next, someone calling me up on the blatant sexism in my reply to Ms M. Pie??

To be honest I didn't know how bad it was, certainly isn't that way in my social circles. For what it's worth I am totally homo-tolerant.

I'm sure it was meant in jest and when I was out running just now I thought that I should have added words to that effect.  But it's not a nice word and full of links to horrid violent acts so I felt that I had to say something.  I feel that there often appears to be a low level of homophobia amongst climbers, I feel quite strongly about it and I wouldn't like to see it on here I guess.  People would rightly steer clear of words with any racist connotations, so should do the same with homophobic ones.

As for the sexism, I'm sure that Magpie can produce some equally condescending reply to you. 

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#20 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 10:08:00 pm

The reason this frustrating you is that you haven't understood the debate. Evryone agrees on what you've said. What is actually going on is trying to understand why one group isn't bothered by achievement, and why the other seems to prefer enjoy training to do something more than doing it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#21 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 09, 2008, 11:16:38 pm
The latter statement is very rarely true.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#22 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 10, 2008, 08:22:59 am
JB: Every time you go to the crag, you are training. Either through mental preparations, by adding that rare route into your solo circuit or strength training by doing a boulder problem which requires you to pull, or maybe even just pulling a bouder from under a problem  :whistle:

Stubbs

#23 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 10, 2008, 08:27:30 am
There was a great topic a while ago about which was the most important thing in climbing - finger strength, the ability to do a one armer, core tension, etc. I seem to remember that sparking some good 'debate'...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#24 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 10, 2008, 10:32:36 am
The "Johnny v Jerry, who was The Greatest?" thread was one of my favourites for interesting discussion.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#25 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 10, 2008, 11:17:09 am
As for the sexism, I'm sure that Magpie can produce some equally condescending reply to you. 
No point, it would take waaaay too long to explain what all the big words mean to him  ;)

In Fiend's defence I was going to post and say that given the tone of the rest of his post I would imagine that none of it was meant in a hurtful or disrespectful manner, but others beat me to it. 

I don't really have a favourite debating topic, its more fun watching threads shoot off at tangents from the original topic   :-*
:agree: I want to change my vote, again.

BenF

• forum hero
#26 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 10, 2008, 12:31:52 pm
In Fiend's defence I was going to post and say that given the tone of the rest of his post I would imagine that none of it was meant in a hurtful or disrespectful manner, but others beat me to it. 

I knew that but just took issue with such a phrase being used, joke or no joke.  Fiend is far too nice a guy to have actually meant it.

The "Johnny v Jerry, who was The Greatest?" thread was one of my favourites for interesting discussion.

Oh that was a great thread wasn't it? 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#27 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 10, 2008, 01:21:38 pm
It bears rereading. Perhaps it should really be titled "What you don't get on Cocktalk"?

Is that "wall" or "edge" fatdoc?  :lol:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#28 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 10, 2008, 01:46:07 pm

Very true

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#29 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 15, 2008, 06:47:27 pm

I agree it's a classic, but it's not really a typical recurring UKB debate (although maybe "Mental issues with trad climbing" should have been in...).

I knew that but just took issue with such a phrase being used, joke or no joke.  Fiend is far too nice a guy to have actually meant it.
LOL, see now that's a good joke, far too nice a guy hah...

I honestly didn't realise that it was regarded as such a derogatory term. I'd have thought "queer" or "fag" would be considered the bad ones. Next I'll find out that "gaylord" is inappropriate and my mates and my banter will be reduced to a series of primal grunts (it's not far off anyway) as our staple piss-taking terms are taboo...

Incidentally....the issue of homophobia (genuine, rather than banter) in climbing is an interesting, if somewhat serious one. Believe it or not (this is true though), a small part of me posting "birds or b******n" was making a subtle point about it being totally valid if gay climbers were admiring the thread. The other 90% was me being facile of course :)

Hmmmm so it seems, anyway, that training vs. technique is the public's pick. A good one but I've thought limestone vs. not would have been a good contender.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#30 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 16, 2008, 09:54:12 am
Yo Fiend. It's the word's association with this sort of thing that makes it offensive. Word.

webbo

• forum hero
#31 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 16, 2008, 10:45:56 am
 i prefer debates along the lines of how long it takes dave to get to caley.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#32 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 16, 2008, 11:09:54 am

I agree it's a classic, but it's not really a typical recurring UKB debate.

Actually it is typical as it was really just a "technique v training" discussion in a more highbrow guise!

Idol eyes

• junky
#33 Re: Favourite UKB debate...
July 16, 2008, 02:33:50 pm
I am not going to vote... however, I maintain the UK grade issue should
 ... be,    so.... tired, ...... wish...... somethin......... intresting.................. "yawn".......................... would .......................................happen!
"BOLTS", fuck yeah, we have all forgoten about bolt debates!!!
Is this too, a Jerry and Jonny ego blaster...
come on every one, lets all waste some more life talkin about bolts...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal