UKBouldering.com

Font in September (Read 7129 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero
Font in September
July 03, 2008, 06:17:09 pm
I tried a search on this one and only got some stupid poll

What are the conditions like in September?  I stopped going to Font after 3 trips and only 3 days of climbing, so am looking to get back on the horse and would like to hedge my bets weather wise!

Thanks in advance for responses

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#1 Re: Font in September
July 03, 2008, 06:41:17 pm
I don't think I've been in September but, we have been several times over October half term, and although it's a bit of a lottery with regards to rain at any time of year in font, we've always got a fair bit of climbing done. I've never felt that it's been very good conditions in terms of temperature in October though, with the two February trips i've been on feeling much stickier on the slopers, so I guess September is likely to be even warmer. Font seems almost as random as Britain though really.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Re: Font in September
July 03, 2008, 06:54:32 pm
Too true.  This is why most people have been sampling Swiss I think (and the grades)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: Font in September
July 03, 2008, 08:11:11 pm
I've been to Font twice in September - the sun shone and it was warm: I climbed a lot, but not hard.

nik at work

• forum hero
#4 Re: Font in September
July 03, 2008, 08:19:37 pm
Was that due to the weather or the climber? :)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#5 Re: Font in September
July 03, 2008, 08:34:06 pm
both - I climbed a lot because I am well tough etc and didn't climb hard due to the weather  ;)

although I did onsight a few 7as and one 7a+ one september  8) - the trip with Irish Alan and Jay Warren (Headcharge DJ  8) )

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#6 Re: Font in September
July 04, 2008, 12:31:23 am
Don't know about September, but I'd suggest Font in October

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Font in September
July 04, 2008, 12:42:16 am
I went for 11 days in mid September and it was blistering, didn't rain once. Last year we went in October and it was quite warm but well cold on the mornings. Ideal for projects first thing followed by a lovely afternoon of easy circuits. bosh.

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Font in September
July 04, 2008, 01:19:14 am
I've been to Font twice in September - the sun shone and it was warm: I climbed a lot, but not hard.

Ditto, if you go at that time i'd wager you won't be climbing near your limit having said that I always prefer actually getting on stuff during trips rather than it being a washout.
 :devangel:

Darren S

• addict
    • www.climbnewcastle.com
#9 Re: Font in September
July 04, 2008, 11:06:00 am
Hey Dylan,

Strangely I have climbed my hardest problem, in the forest, in September but would say that I got lucky with the conditions.
Much safer to go in October.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10 Re: Font in September
July 04, 2008, 11:30:09 am
I would recommend the early-mid of November as the best best for decent weather in autumn. Look for the fortnight following a new moon. If this coincides with an 'anticyclonic period' you're quids in.

5th - 30th September
  "OLD-WIVES SUMMER" ANTICYCLONES
  Peak dates for Anticyclonic type in Britain are 7th - 10th, 16th - 21st and 30th Sep. The highs pass across the British Isles into Europe and Siberia. More cyclonic and Southerly type weather affects Britain after each 'High' system has passed away east into the continent. Cyclonic type is quite common around 24th Sep, and in cyclonic autumns, when the anticyclones keep further south, the period around 24th Sep is particularly liable to gales with vigorous lows passing over or close to the country. There is an increasing cyclonic trend during October in most years, but the frequency of anticyclones remains high early in the month, 1st to 10th Oct.

24th October - 13th November
  LATE AUTUMN RAINS
  Stormy Cyclonic type frequent, especially in 2 peak periods 26th - 29th October and 9th - 12th Nov. In the interval there is a tendency to fair, mild Southerly type weather with high pressure over the continent. Anticyclonic type is very uncommon in Britain 26th - 28th Oct. Westerly types become increasingly frequent througout the period, as successive lows pass further north, reaching a peak on 8th - 12th Nov. Other common types in this period are: - Easterly type around 1st/2nd Nov; Northerly type around 25th/26th Oct. This last marks the first and most prominent autumn N'ly outbreak - which is followed in some years by rising pressure in Scandinavia with continental anticyclones common around 30th Oct - 6th Nov.

15th - 24th November
 QUIET, FOGGY ANTICYCLONIC INTERLUDE
  Brief period, especially about 17th to 19th Nov. when Anticyclonic type is common, the anticyclones forming over Britain & W. Europe in maritime air. Westerly & Cyclonic types are uncommon at this time.

25th November - 10th December
  EARLY-WINTER STORMS & RAINS
  Cyclonic period associated with progressive intensification of Atlantic westerlies and mobile lows, rather than with stagnant cyclonic situations over Europe. Waves of mild air spread east across Britain until blocked and lifted by the monsoonal development of stagnant cold air in the heart of the Eurasian continent. Cyclonic type is very common 25th - 29th November & 6th - 12th Dec. Westerly & North-Westerly types common throughout the period.

19th - 23rd December
  CONTINENTAL & N. EUROPEAN ANTICYCLONES OF THE WINTER SOLSTICE
 Quiet, frosty weather on the European lowlands. Southerly type very common in Britain with Anticyclonic and Easterly types also quite frequent. Gales still frequent in Scotland. A preliminary, well-marked anticyclonic spell about 12th Dec commonly affects only East & Northern Europe.

25th - 31st December
  CHRISTMAS-TIDE, THAW & STORMS OF THE END OF THE YEAR
  Cyclonic & Westerly types common in Britain, carried by a second surge into central Europe.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 11:37:35 am by Johnny Brown »

account_inactive

• forum hero
#11 Re: Font in September
July 04, 2008, 12:38:53 pm
Cheers guys :)

Straight forward advise as always

Looks like I should postpone my love affair with the forest until later in the year.  The only question is where should I go at the start of September?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#12 Re: Font in September
July 10, 2008, 12:40:44 am
Having just had 3 quick session in July, I would say go to font all year round. Obviously your not going to hang that hideous sloper in summer but you can get loads done a few grades off your limit.
Infact I would say I prefer to go in the summer as its much nicer when your not climbing instead of freezing your arse off

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#13 Re: Font in September
July 10, 2008, 02:43:39 am
The only question is where should I go at the start of September?

Come and visit me - Still cool temps to be had and lots of fun and frolics. Plus somewhere free to doss!

philo

• forum hero
#14 Re: Font in September
July 11, 2008, 12:21:48 am
we went in late may and june, it was good in the morning you could climb till 9am then it would be too warm.
i remember we slept in one day till 12pm, walked outside to a nice 35 degree punch in the face. if its too warm get up early or do a few night sessions, would be eventful at bas cuvier tho. we had a nice jolly walk out of couvier ramp at 10ish one night

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#15 Re: Font in September
July 11, 2008, 08:11:29 am
Having just had 3 quick session in July, I would say go to font all year round. Obviously your not going to hang that hideous sloper in summer but you can get loads done a few grades off your limit.
Infact I would say I prefer to go in the summer as its much nicer when your not climbing instead of freezing your arse off

:agree:

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#16 Re: Font in September
July 11, 2008, 08:49:11 am
i have to say it doesn't matter about the weather, this week it has been over 30 degrees and our group has managed to back 50 or so routes from the 7b to 8a+ range, including sorry Jim bagheera. Brian did it yesterday afternoon, second go and meaty 7c on slopers temp was 29.

2 days ago atomic playboy went down at 8a+ it was 25 degrees, sloper crimps.

If you have local knowlage you know all the best boulders to go to when the sun is out, and even when it rains.

Font is so much like the UK with the wether, but you tend to get more reliable seasons here, anyway if it rains you can always come for a board session round mine.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#17 Re: Font in September
July 11, 2008, 09:37:07 am
Neil, I hate you.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#18 Re: Font in September
July 11, 2008, 09:41:33 am
You did Atomic Neil! Good effort

I think that all my climbing trips have now been put on hold seeing as we have just moved the business into a large workshop that's going to be costing me an arm and a leg  :boohoo:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#19 Re: Font in September
July 11, 2008, 10:47:46 am
There's always Rubicon.  ;D

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#20 Re: Font in September
July 11, 2008, 11:35:56 am
You did Atomic Neil! Good effort

I think that all my climbing trips have now been put on hold seeing as we have just moved the business into a large workshop that's going to be costing me an arm and a leg  :boohoo:

no i did'nt do atomic, a visiting friend did it in about 4 goes bastard

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#21 Re: Font in September
July 11, 2008, 11:38:28 am
There's always Rubicon.  ;D

i miss the old rubicon, one of my fav stomping grounds when i was a north country lad

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#22 Re: Font in September
July 11, 2008, 12:52:14 pm
including sorry Jim bagheera. Brian did it yesterday afternoon, second go and meaty 7c on slopers temp was 29.

after watching the vids on bleau.info I have been kicking myself for the last few days

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#23 Re: Font in September
July 11, 2008, 01:27:35 pm
including sorry Jim bagheera. Brian did it yesterday afternoon, second go and meaty 7c on slopers temp was 29.

after watching the vids on bleau.info I have been kicking myself for the last few days

yes its so much easier doing it the way the do it on the vid, I got the crimp secend go that way, but failed to do the top

next time

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#24 Re: Font in September
July 11, 2008, 01:31:13 pm
Back to the topic...
...a big consideration is the temps of the actual rocks. I've been in October and had good cold conditions (some thick frost in the mornings), but the rocks are still quite warm. Went last year at the beginning of April, and although daytime temps were pretty warm, the rocks were well chilly and conditions were awesome early in the morning.
I reckon you'll struggle not to have fun whenever you go, there are always the circuits...

dave

#25 Re: Font in September
July 11, 2008, 01:48:45 pm
conversely I've been in january when the temperature varied from 3 to -7 degrees and largely the conditions were shit - it was hard to get and stay warmed, and the rock felt like frosty glass most of the time, really slick feeling. fucking awfull!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal