UKBouldering.com

The future of web-browsing? (Read 5294 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
The future of web-browsing?
September 02, 2008, 12:19:14 pm
Google release their own web-browser later today dubbed Chrome.

Should be interesting.  I'd imagine it will be tightly intergrated with their tools (such as gmail, calendars, picasa, maps, blogs, youtube, "google office" oh and of course the 'ol search engine).  Likely going to help push things in the direction of "cloud" computing where everythings on-line, and given recent trends, where google go others follow.

If however, your not a fan of google you can always try out Google minus Google which will return results without including sites that google own/run such as blogger and YouTube.  Or if your really backwards theres the Google mirror  :P

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#1 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 02, 2008, 12:59:20 pm
Nice find slack---line!!
Its looks very interesting and the way those Google guys have explained it in that comic book style is ace!
I probably know more about browsers after reading that than I have ever done, and I work in IT!!

Will it be released later today (when the US come on line)?
I will defo be trying this out!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 02, 2008, 01:04:37 pm
Should be later today for those of us on GMT, sorry EST....

Quote from: A fresh take on the browser 9/01/2008 02:10:00 PM
We will be launching the beta version of Google Chrome tomorrow in more than 100 countries.

I liked the comic book explanation too, simplified a lot of technical stuff very nicely.

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 02, 2008, 01:14:46 pm
Only available initially for Windows?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 02, 2008, 01:25:58 pm
Unfortunately so.

Seems strange given that google use their own customised Linux OS internally (they've never released it to the public which is well within the scope of the GPL), and given that the vast majority of OpenSource development occurs on GNU/Linux (or other FOSS platforms such as the BSD family of OS's), so those who are most likely to be able to contribute to bug-squashing of code would be those who use such OS's rather than M$-windows where by far the greatest proportion of users are exactly that, end-users.

Will just have to wait, for subequent versions.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#5 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 02, 2008, 02:38:19 pm
Only available initially for Windows?

According to the BBC:

"...Chrome, it will launch as a beta for Windows machines in 100 countries, with Mac and Linux versions to come."

bluebrad

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 02, 2008, 02:43:01 pm

"...Chrome, it will launch as a beta for Windows machines in 100 countries, with Mac and Linux versions to come."

bluebrad

Says exactly the same in the official blog entry (no doubt where the BBC are reading too  ;) )

But....I've just realised that since its open source they'll be releasing the source code too (presumably at the same time, and definately so if they're applying the GPL to it), so it'll be possible to compile my own  ;D

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 02, 2008, 09:43:01 pm
Available to download now from http://gears.google.com/chrome/?hl=en

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 02, 2008, 10:01:32 pm
so it'll be possible to compile my own  ;D

Idiot proof steps always welcome ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 03, 2008, 07:14:37 am
so it'll be possible to compile my own  ;D

Idiot proof steps always welcome ;)

Some simple instructions here but note the disclaimer (still a work in progress it seems). 

Step 1 I'd do something like 'mkdir -p ~/tmp/chrome'

Then substitute '~/tmp/chrome' for each instance of '$CHROMIUM_ROOT' in the remaining instructions.

Let me know if you've any questions.

Also a video on building chrome on Ubuntu.

An Ubuntu thread which may be worth keeping an eye on (although there will no bout be others in their forums (a Gentoo thread I'm keeping my eye on).

Keep your package repository up to date and it will no doubt appear in there the same day as a working browser.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 03, 2008, 07:23:41 am
However, this is rather worrying to read...

11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.

In other words, by posting anything (via Chrome) to your blog(s), any forum, video site, myspace, itunes, or any other site that might happen to be supporting you, Google can use your work without paying you a dime. They can go and edit it all they want. Even further, you're claiming that you have the power to grant these rights. So no one who works for Conde Nast (Wired, Arstechnica), TechCrunch, Gawker, any of the other big web publishers, or a university where the employee is performing research can agree to the Chrome ToS because they most likely don't have the right to give a license to the IP (intellectual property) they produce.

More ranting from a random blog here.

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#11 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 03, 2008, 09:30:53 am
I downloaded it last night and have been playing around with it.
I really like the UI, although at first it didn't seem much different but now it seems more intuitive and defo cleaner!!
It seems to hog a bit of memory but seems a lot faster too even witha ton of tabs open (guilty)!

Anyone else tried it??
Have we seen the future?  ;)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#12 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 03, 2008, 09:56:59 am
Before I sign my life away to Google Ent. can someone tell me if you can stack tabs vertically as opposed to horizontally. I ask because having 30 tabs open horizontally is usually a mess and you either have to scroll up and down, endure the tiniest of tabs, or give up.

Thanks.

ps. how does this fair on the acid test?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 03, 2008, 10:08:16 am
Before I sign my life away to Google Ent. can someone tell me if you can stack tabs vertically as opposed to horizontally. I ask because having 30 tabs open horizontally is usually a mess and you either have to scroll up and down, endure the tiniest of tabs, or give up.

Thanks.

Pretty good by the sound of it, but remember its still under active development, so expect things to improve.

No idea about vertical tabs though, worth playing and finding out and if its not there trying to make your voice heard in the no doubt thousands/millions saying "I want this feature" (and then sticking with firefox).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:19:41 am by slack---line, Reason: typo »

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#14 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 03, 2008, 10:11:34 am

That's the first typo I've ever seen you make Keith. You are still in the spelling and grammar police right? ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 03, 2008, 12:30:32 pm
What google meant to put in their comic  :)

EDIT : For those utltra-paranoid that their searches might be tracked you can always try Scroogle
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 12:37:44 pm by slack---line, Reason: scroogle »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#16 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 03, 2008, 09:03:50 pm
http://tapthehive.com/discuss/This_Post_Not_Made_In_Chrome_Google_s_EULA_Sucks

In other words, by posting anything (via Chrome) to your blog(s), any forum, video site, myspace, itunes, or any other site that might happen to be supporting you, Google can use your work without paying you a dime. This doesn't just apply to blogger, youtube, gmail etc, and if you think it does, re-read section 1.1 and 11. It applies to everything you pass through Chrome. Google can take your submitted content and edit and reuse it all they want, as long as they do so in connection with Chrome.

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#17 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 04, 2008, 06:40:22 am
Downloaded and installed fine but just doesnt work  :( not happy

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#18 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 04, 2008, 12:50:06 pm
Those nice folks at Google have updated their T&C so now everything is back the way it should be on planet Google Earth;

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services.

Turns out it was a simple copy'n'paste issue. Obviously they don't have iphones. (sorry - couldn't resist)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: The future of web-browsing?
September 04, 2008, 01:44:11 pm
Those nice folks at Google have updated their T&C so now everything is back the way it should be on planet Google Earth;

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services.

Turns out it was a simple copy'n'paste issue. Obviously they don't have iphones. (sorry - couldn't resist)

From El Reg...

Thaddeus P Fink, founder, chairman and CEO of Fink First, Cut 'n Paste, said he had a one-time-only, special offer deal for cutting out Completely Redundant Arcane Prose (think acronymically) from EULAs, and was open for further business[/url]

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal