UKBouldering.com

Works this weekend? (Read 7287 times)

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
Works this weekend?
June 20, 2008, 12:45:44 pm
Anyone fancy a session down the Works this weekend if it rains (which it looks like it will), or anyone already going and happy for me to join in?  I boulder up to Font 6a ish, company around the same standard is obviously best for will consider other offers.  I think I am weak at the moment (have been climbing well lately, but mostly due to mental breakthroughs, likely to be going backwards physically as haven't been to the wall for weeks) - exactly why I need to get down there! 

Advance warning - I'm quite fussy about attentive spotters, last time I was down there I fell badly (not the fault of the spotters mind!) and bumped my elbow and it took 6 months to recover, don't want a repeat performance.

Reply on here or drop me a mail, I'll get back to you this evening.

nik at work

• forum hero
#1 Re: Works this weekend?
June 20, 2008, 12:56:56 pm
You are asking a forum of geeky men who boulder (the majority of who live in or around sheffield) to come and spot you closely at the weekend at the works?

Methinks you won't be short of volunteers....

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#2 Re: Works this weekend?
June 20, 2008, 02:30:00 pm
lol  No takers yet!  Actually I thought they be more likely to think 'you want spotting?  indoors?' than what you put, but we'll see...

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#3 Re: Works this weekend?
June 20, 2008, 02:33:18 pm
p.s.  And a certain number of them are probably avoiding me after my recent threads  ???

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4 Re: Works this weekend?
June 20, 2008, 02:46:11 pm
Might be cos I'm looking out the window at sunshine, blue skies and a nice breeze and am thinking that The Works sounds like the last place I'd want to go.  ;)

I know. There are supposed to be a few showers tomorrow, but psychologically, when you see sun you don't think climbing wall (or rather you think how hot and minging it would be!). Sure some places will be dry too but if you need to train that's fair enough. I reckon a lot of people will still be planning on getting out which may be contributing to your lack of a training partner.  :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Works this weekend?
June 20, 2008, 04:40:04 pm
Might be cos I'm looking out the window at sunshine, blue skies and a nice breeze and am thinking that The Works sounds like the last place I'd want to go.  ;)

I know. There are supposed to be a few showers tomorrow, but psychologically, when you see sun you don't think climbing wall (or rather you think how hot and minging it would be!). Sure some places will be dry too but if you need to train that's fair enough. I reckon a lot of people will still be planning on getting out which may be contributing to your lack of a training partner.  :)

Was discussing tomorrow weather earlier with a friend, we came to the conclusion that you should just fuck forecasts off and go with "It'll be doing what it is today tomorrow" philosophy.  Can't be any less accurate than the weatherman. :shrug:

Hope this works as I'm planning on heading to Wimberry

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#6 Re: Works this weekend?
June 20, 2008, 04:54:58 pm
Trust me I'll be happy if it turns out sunny!  Got a couple of possible dry weather plans for both days.  Just saw the forecast and thought that could fit in well with a growing desire to see how strong/weak I am at the mo (don't really know). 

a dense loner

• forum hero
#7 Re: Works this weekend?
June 20, 2008, 04:59:11 pm
I'll go.  I'll be the fucking monster on the rings.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#8 Re: Works this weekend?
June 20, 2008, 06:09:43 pm
I'd love to go to The Works , but having discovered that I climb a couple of grades harder with a fag hanging out of my mouth (summat to do with counterbalancing  my huge arse I reckon) I'm sticking to the great outdoors ....

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Works this weekend?
June 20, 2008, 06:31:00 pm
I'll go.  I'll be the fucking monster on the rings.
He's not talking about his strength.

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#10 Re: Works this weekend?
June 20, 2008, 07:12:59 pm
Dense - I can't work out whether to believe you.  I'm going to assume you're joking, but if you're not PM me your mobile number or something...

Sunday's the day with the better forecast, but Saturday is the day I'm wanting it to be better as I have plans.  I think I'll probably head outside on Saturday and keep my fingers crossed it stays dry, if not I might bail to the Works with my mate.  Sunday plans depend on what happens Saturday really.  Right, outside to mow the lawn while it's quite cleary not raining.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#11 Re: Works this weekend?
June 20, 2008, 07:50:24 pm
Dense - I can't work out whether to believe you. 

Nope, he's serious.  You'll never see anyone have such a ring session in your life.  He aches for days after, drains him completely.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Works this weekend?
June 20, 2008, 09:23:06 pm
I'd love to go to The Works , but having discovered that I climb a couple of grades harder with a fag hanging out of my mouth (summat to do with counterbalancing  my huge arse I reckon) I'm sticking to the great outdoors ....

I hope by fag you mean cigarette.

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#13 Re: Works this weekend?
June 21, 2008, 12:54:59 am
Well my plan stands as above - going to chance outdoors tomorrow, so could end up at the Works either day.  Got a definite partner for tomorrow (although not sure what time they've got to leave), and possible mate for Sunday, but more options welcome.  Won't be on here after now, so have temporarily put my number on my ukc profile, give me a shout if you're about - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=12907&updated=5820

saltbeef

• forum hero
#14 Re: Works this weekend?
June 21, 2008, 04:45:03 pm
enjoyed floundering on the yellow circuit today, sure my night shift helped :yawn:
have to go back to fail some more...
you gotta love the English summer

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#15 Re: Works this weekend?
June 21, 2008, 05:47:08 pm

And if I didn't .....

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#16 Re: Works this weekend?
June 21, 2008, 06:45:10 pm
enjoyed floundering on the yellow circuit today, sure my night shift helped :yawn:
have to go back to fail some more...
you gotta love the English summer
never mind the yellow circuit, soon you'll be crushing in the garage with the manchester massif

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 Re: Works this weekend?
June 21, 2008, 10:08:26 pm

And if I didn't .....
Then it would be a remarkable feat.

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#18 Re: Works this weekend?
June 22, 2008, 11:47:20 pm
I think yellow 1 must be undergraded.  The circuit's meant to be 7a-7c, and that problem is marked as neither easy or hard.  I got the finishing jug with one hand on the third (ish) go, just fell off going to match it (which isn't the hard bit).  Previous best before that is flashing a Font 6a earlier on in the night!

Was there for 5 hours, can barely move today, brilliant session, load of cool problems of various colours.  Bumped into lots of people I knew too.  And met Dense, a monster indeed ;)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#19 Re: Works this weekend?
June 23, 2008, 10:51:50 am
he certainly is a fucking monster

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#20 Re: Works this weekend?
June 23, 2008, 11:02:26 am
Elbows down?

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#21 Re: Works this weekend?
June 23, 2008, 12:51:12 pm
Elbows down?  Is that some secret rings speak?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#22 Re: Works this weekend?
June 23, 2008, 02:08:33 pm
no. have a think about what you do with your elbows down, especially when your of the male gender

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#23 Re: Works this weekend?
June 23, 2008, 02:10:25 pm
Pull ups.

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
#24 Re: Works this weekend?
June 23, 2008, 04:13:49 pm
Exactly, pull ups on the rings  ;D

JB - got ya.  How was the rest of grizzly man?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal