UKBouldering.com

Lakes scrambles (Read 582 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
Lakes scrambles
April 22, 2024, 04:10:32 pm
Not my usual topic of conversation  :lol: but we have some relatives visiting from abroad this summer. They are keen to do a big day out scrambling or maybe climbing something easy (e.g. that non-climbers wouldn't need rock shoes for) in the Lakes.

Any recommendations for something good, ideally classic, not totally rammed in summer hols? Appreciate that final one might be asking a bit much but you never know... They are not afraid of a big walk if that helps (and I can pretend it's good for kneebar endurance)

Thanks!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1 Re: Lakes scrambles
April 22, 2024, 04:55:39 pm
Pinnacle Ridge on St Sunday Crag is the longer classic that I know. If you want a big day out I'm not sure what you'd then link that in to. Depending on the ability of your relatives and how much of it they need roping up for it might take all day? I'm not sure as I did it one evening in 2 or 3 hours (including walk in and out).

There's things like Striding Edge (not really a scramble, it's an exposed walk), Sharp Edge, and Jack's Rake but none of those are a "big scrambling day".

I think some of the longer scrambles you might find are actually ghyll scrambles but obviously you'd need the weather and flow conditions for it.

That's the limit of my knowledge on the subject. Maybe look at Pillar?

T_B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Lakes scrambles
April 22, 2024, 05:34:41 pm
Lakes generally is not great for scrambling.

For quiet you need to go to Eskdale/Duddon, Far Eastern fells or northern fells.

I actually think the Langdale Horseshoe taking in Jack’s Rake is maybe the most obvious thing I can think of. It’s very rocky over Esk Pike/Bowfell/Crinkle Crags and if it’s clear they’ll get views across to Scafell Pike. Classic scenery with bail out option down The Band.

Loads of big days out depending on your definition of that eg from head of Borrowdale (Seathwaite) Styhead Tarn-Great End-Scafell Pike-Corridor Route (not quite scrambling but rocky) - Gable is some of the most impressive scenery. Add on Scafell via Foxes Tarn route for more scrambling. But depends on your definition of ‘big day’!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: Lakes scrambles
April 22, 2024, 05:53:35 pm
I've just remembered that I had a great day with my brother (non-climber but reasonably athletic and OK on the end of a rope) enchaining routes in Langdale. He was climbing in walking boots I think. We did Route 1 on Scout Crags (VD), Route 1 on Tarn Crag (an odd little outcrop on the way up to Stickle Tarn), and then Jack's Rake on Pavey Ark, finishing up Gwynne's Chimney. I'd considered White Ghyll as an alternative to Tarn Crag but wasn't sure there'd be time. That was in October and if we'd had more light we could have done more. This has the obvious appeal of finishing at the pub too.

As T_B says, I'm not sure how many long scrambling days you could do in the Lakes without a lot of walking/upping-and-downing to combine different scrambles. An enchainment, or a long and easy route might be the way. The only issue with a long route would be if they decide that they're actually quite scared on Pitch 5 of Corvus/Giant's Crawl/Gillercombe Buttress then that puts you in a tricky situation trying to get them up/down safely. With an enchainment of shorter crags you could lower them and escape off if they're not happy.

Another good enchainment in a quieter corner would be something like Harrow Buttress, Slabs Ordinary, and Oxford & Cambridge Route Direct on Grey Crag in Buttermere.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 06:01:49 pm by Will Hunt »

abarro81

• forum hero
#4 Re: Lakes scrambles
April 22, 2024, 06:53:35 pm
Good knowledge, cheers guys. Will do some more googling on the suggestions, but sounds like it may actually be better to do a long rocky walk on one day and then maybe separately drag them up some sorter scrambles or easy routes on another...

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Lakes scrambles
April 22, 2024, 08:09:40 pm
Pinnacle Ridge is the only 'scramble' I've done in the Lakes, was good fun with some able non-climbers who found it the right level of 'exciting'.

Jack's Rake was the other one that sprung to mind, it looks really improbable but is a great feature and lots of good fells and scenery nearby. Only downside is that it's a busier area, particularly the first bit up to the tarn.

Enjoy!

edshakey

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Lakes scrambles
April 22, 2024, 08:44:43 pm
If you do decide to branch into climbing, middlefell buttress in langdale is pretty straightforward - nice generous belay ledges too. Could probably drag someone without rock shoes up that reasonably ok. The higher technicality would make up for the fact it's near the road - it's not exactly a big day out but they'd probs still enjoy?

It's certainly classic (1902 I think?) but might be very busy on a weekend, popular with guides. Midweek maybe not so bad?

dunnyg

• forum hero
#7 Re: Lakes scrambles
April 22, 2024, 10:00:56 pm
If it's nice weather, you can ghyll scramble up to the tarn to the bottom of pavey. Might want a rope if not confident, but you won't want rock shoes. Could then go up jack's rake.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal