UKBouldering.com

Easy bouldering near Colwyn Bay (Read 1986 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
Easy bouldering near Colwyn Bay
June 04, 2008, 01:10:46 pm

Having never been bouldering in North Wales, I'm heading over with the missus to see some friends in Colwyn Bay, so thought I could sneak in some cheeky bouldering. The missus is fine with this, as long as there's plenty of easy stuff for her.

So, where's best to go? Somewhere near Colwyn, or head to the pass/mountains? I shall obviously be buying NWB, anywhere is colwyn sell it or will I have to head to Llanberis? (I live in Northampton, work in Milton Keynes so don't exactly have a decent shop to get a guide in locally).

Anyway, I would like stuff up to Font 7a (maybe 7a+/b), she wants stuff from v.easy up to about 6a. Recommendations?

jimbo

• addict
#1 Re: Easy bouldering near Colwyn Bay
June 04, 2008, 01:22:46 pm
Theres a lots of stuff around colwyn bay, namely the Ormes, Angel Bay and a few other local craglets i ca'nt remember the name of.

I dont think there is anywhere in Colwyn Bay that sells the NWB bouldering guide. i think the nearest place that may stock it is the outdoor shop on the high street in Conwy.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#2 Re: Easy bouldering near Colwyn Bay
June 04, 2008, 03:34:57 pm
You could pick a guide up in Llanberis, Capel Curig or Betws y Coed. Or just mail order it beforehand.

Go to RAC (lots of good easy problems) or the Wavelength hillside in the Llanberis Pass (lots of good problems) if the weather is nice. If it's breezey and you've got a low tide go to Angel Bay (this is very close to Colwyn Bay, but the conditions will probably be poor on a still day).

And in case you were wondering, it is much quicker to get to the Llanberis Pass via the A55/Bangor turn off than it is via Betws.

Tommy G

• regular
#3 Re: Easy bouldering near Colwyn Bay
June 10, 2008, 04:51:39 pm
Angel Bay is a lovely little spot and ideal for a mix of graded problems!

I have only been here a couple of times but it has really impressed me with a range of good problems up to the grades mentioned!
This is a nice place to pop in in the evening as the air cools a little and that way you can do a 2 venue day!

Bridey Arete (that might not be spelt right) is a great problem at a reasonable grade!

I agree with Si that RAC is a great starter venue! Maybe combine the 2?

galpinos

• forum hero
#4 Re: Easy bouldering near Colwyn Bay
June 19, 2008, 08:04:06 am

Cheers for the posts. Ended up not getting anything done due to being forced to hang out with friends and their children. Had fun on the beach and eat a shit load of ice cream. All good!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal