UKBouldering.com

weakness mystery (Read 15364 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#25 Re: weakness mystery
June 18, 2008, 01:51:11 pm
As you have said yourself, it sounds like learning movement is what is holding you back. Just play on problems and experiment to find what works. Dare I say a masterclass might help? I was cynical about them until I did one with Dave Mac. While it wasn't a revelation, it definitely helped with expanding and solidifying vague ideas and notions I had about generating movement from legs, rolling body on holds, etc.

webbo

• forum hero
#26 Re: weakness mystery
June 18, 2008, 03:33:59 pm
maybe your belief that you SHOULD be able to climb v6 is the issue,you might just be putting to much pressure on your self.

carefultorque

• player
#27 Re: weakness mystery
June 18, 2008, 03:53:42 pm
maybe your belief that you SHOULD be able to climb v6 is the issue,you might just be putting to much pressure on your self.

Good point!  Maybe I should just chill a bit, put the work in while enjoying myself and it'll come with the increased volumes that I'm already doing.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#28 Re: weakness mystery
June 18, 2008, 04:23:19 pm
Tabata didn't test squats AFAIK

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0145.htm

you're correct its some chat waterbury variation that I read on figureathlete or something I think...I still can't see how you can relate it to climbing, you can't exactly spring on a board, so do you go from doing a fr5 circuit to doing your max boulder problem then back or something? still not quite seeing how it would work anyway that's an aside.

I think it would probably work better with either system/fingerboard as you could gauge the intensity better.  The research was done at certain intensities so that they could assess the relative benefits of the different protocols.  I don't think that Tabata gave any recommendations as to what intensities were best to train..........but I could be wrong  :)

i.munro

• junky
#29 Re: weakness mystery
June 18, 2008, 06:09:13 pm

Good point!  Maybe I should just chill a bit, put the work in while enjoying myself and it'll come with the increased volumes that I'm already doing.

I don't have any answers but I find myself in a similiar situation in a number of ways.
Not perhaps in the first flush of youth, longish background in trad then injuries & now trying to improve in bouldering, not so strong in the arms (slightly weaker than you) & always feel like I can hang the holds but not move.

One thing I've found useful if there's a move that feels a bit too strong (on a wall) is doing negative sets of the move.
ie cheat up to the hold you can't reach then try & drop back down the stopper move in as much control as you can  & repeat say 3 times in succession, rest & do again. I did that for a couple of sessions & on the third was able to do the move.

Also  few days ago I lashed out on a masterclass & part of the feedback was that I'm poor on dynamic moves.
Thinking about this I wonder if it's because the little arm strength I've got came from supplementary weight training  (ie slow rather than  fast twitch fibres).

The other thing was that motivated by having spent some cash & having a world class boulderer watching I came very close to V6(indoors)  in a couple of attempts, which is unheard of. As a result felt & to my suprise I felt like death the next day.
My conclusion being that perhaps I haven't really been trying as hard as I thought when 'training".

carefultorque

• player
#30 Re: weakness mystery
June 18, 2008, 06:16:18 pm
Very interesting idea with the negatives there.   

I will give that a try.

Glad the masterclass worked so well for you. Sounds as if you were held-back by self-belief, perhaps as I am.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#31 Re: weakness mystery
June 18, 2008, 08:37:48 pm
On a mental flava, I'd recommend getting hold of 'The Rock Warrior's Way'. I'm reading it at the moment and it's given me a lot of insight into what I do to myself while I'm climbing. Health warning - it can be a bit cheesy in a bit of an Oprah kind of way, but if you can look past that I think there's value in it.

Oh yeah. And do some pullups too.

Paul B

• forum hero
#32 Re: weakness mystery
June 18, 2008, 10:12:48 pm
On a mental flava, I'd recommend getting hold of 'The Rock Warrior's Way'. I'm reading it at the moment and it's given me a lot of insight into what I do to myself while I'm climbing. Health warning - it can be a bit cheesy in a bit of an Oprah kind of way, but if you can look past that I think there's value in it.

Oh yeah. And do some pullups too.

why dont you go an buy Horst as well :-[

carefultorque

• player
#33 Re: weakness mystery
June 19, 2008, 12:39:14 am

why dont you go an buy Horst as well :-[

I've looked at a Horst a few times.  He has some great ideas, but I prefer a more flexible approach, if you like.  Don't get me wrong, some very good stuff in there, but the whole weight thing and the repetitiveness - not really for me.  I  have listened to some great podcasts from me, especially on recovery.  All good. 

Thanks

Paul B

• forum hero
#34 Re: weakness mystery
June 19, 2008, 12:42:28 am
I was joking. Just to make sure people understand the sentiment: Don't buy Horst. Just Don't

account_inactive

• forum hero
#35 Re: weakness mystery
June 19, 2008, 12:59:48 am
I was joking. Just to make sure people understand the sentiment: Don't buy Horst. Just Don't

Agreed

galpinos

• forum hero
#36 Re: weakness mystery
June 19, 2008, 08:11:44 am

From a punter's point of view (ie mine) "The Self Coached Climber" is pretty good. A lot of the movement stuff gave me a lot to think about. It's not rocket science but a little prompting sometimes make a big difference.

Do you climb on your own? If you do, find other people to try problems with and work out what they do. The group of lads I climb with indoors all have different strengths and weaknesses so between us can usually sort out a way of doing most moves within our capability. It amazing how blinkered I can get when I'm struggling.

carefultorque

• player
#37 Re: weakness mystery
June 19, 2008, 10:46:01 am

Do you climb on your own? If you do, find other people to try problems with and work out what they doing.

I boulder 80% on my own (because I tend to just grab a few hours at short notice) and 20% with mates I've known for a long time.  The main contenders are grades more technical than me. One has climbed an English 7a slab and is steady at around font 7b+, the other is steady font 7c.  I obviously can't even think about doing their problems but I do get to see lots of good movement in practice. 

I think I used to be a mardy fucker, looking back, but recently I've been a bit more gregarious down the wall and am tending to have goes of other people's efforts and chat about tactics.  It's more fun that way.

carefultorque

• player
#38 Re: weakness mystery
June 19, 2008, 10:47:33 am

Does anyone rate Horst?  Far as I can see, it's just a long-winded way of describing system board training with weights.

Dave Westlake

• menacing presence
#39 Re: weakness mystery
June 19, 2008, 11:21:30 am
in reply to carefultorque-

You Don't do pull ups, but you can do 14!?!?

You must have some natural strength then, I reckon.  I can barely do 10 pull ups some days, in fact some days i struggle to do 5!

My pull up ability has always been shit, even when I had half decent power endurance (after doing burly traverses at woodwell).

Are pull ups really that important?   :-\

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#40 Re: weakness mystery
June 19, 2008, 11:27:18 am
Does anyone rate Horst?  Far as I can see, it's just a long-winded way of describing system board training with weights.

It certainly helped me make the jump from leading routes in the Fr 6's to the 7b/7b+ level a few years back by setting goals properly, structuring training and such like. Things have moved on since mind you but I still learned a lot and benefited from the book.

Nigel

• forum hero
#41 Re: weakness mystery
June 19, 2008, 09:17:16 pm
There's something I don't understand and would like some help with please.

I want to put more load through the parts that count when I'm bouldering on plastic.  But I'm having problems working out what is stopping me.

I have reasonable arm-strength (can hold footless one-arm 90 degree lock for a second each side), and can crimp okay, hang and dyamically latch small holds.

But still I find:

1) difficulty doing problems longer than 2-4 moves on the 50 degree wall

2) difficulty finding suitable 'threshold' boulder problems.  V2 is a grade I can easily do 4 x 4's on.  V3+ is a grade I can onsight with good control indoors. So I ought to be able to benefit from threshold bouldering on the odd V6s.   Here I'm often blown by limitations in my movement repertoire but can latch holds and move between them somehow or other.

Any other ideas?

I'm never going to be the best boulderer but we all like to release our maximum potential, right?

Have only skim read the majority of the thread, but in answer to problem 1) I would suspect your shoulder girdle is letting you down. If the board is a true 50 then each move is going to require a very large element of one-arm strength. Now you obviously have some as you can lock off for one second. However as you have found you don't have enough and you've used your second of strength up by 2-4 moves in! Prob best way to make gains at your level is by doing sets of offset pull-ups and frenchies (working up to offset frenchies!). These will give you a bit of an arm and upper back workout with enough volume to have power-endurance benefits while going someway to targeting one-arm and locking strength respectively.

2) is probably affected by the vagaries of grading over anything else! In terms of movement on a 50 board, a good default technique to work from is to keep your hips (and free leg) into the wall as much as poss throughout moves, drop a knee and twist into the move where possible, and stare out the hold you're going for (makes a lot of difference!). Kind of applies on all angles but becomes most apparent the steeper it gets.

in reply to carefultorque-

You Don't do pull ups, but you can do 14!?!?

You must have some natural strength then, I reckon.  I can barely do 10 pull ups some days, in fact some days i struggle to do 5!

My pull up ability has always been shit, even when I had half decent power endurance (after doing burly traverses at woodwell).

Are pull ups really that important?   :-\

Kind of agree on this, I used to bust out some pretty epic power endurance links at Woodwell that could conceivably get big grades, and I've never done any more than 13 pull-ups in my life. Mind you most climbers can do many more than this. Though probably it isn't as strong a predictor of climbing ability or endurance as you would expect; I believe (from what I've read) that forearm endurance is more important. Makes sense, not many people fall off complaining of pumped biceps or back muscles do they?! Even when simply doing sets of pull-ups its always your grip that lets you down.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#42 Re: weakness mystery
June 19, 2008, 09:24:13 pm
In terms of movement on a 50 board, a good default technique to work from is to keep your hips (and free leg) into the wall as much as poss throughout moves, drop a knee and twist into the move where possible, and stare out the hold you're going for (makes a lot of difference!). Kind of applies on all angles but becomes most apparent the steeper it gets.
I can imagine big malc reading this whilst tutting and shaking his head

Nigel

• forum hero
#43 Re: weakness mystery
June 19, 2008, 09:46:47 pm
I'm talking about good technique, whereas Malc is talking about bad technique on purpose in order to gain strength. Looking at the first frame of that vid Malc is more likely to be shaking his head at whoever stole his large deep-fried mars bar baguette just as he was about to tuck in.

carefultorque

• player
#44 Re: weakness mystery
June 20, 2008, 08:00:15 am

I would suspect your shoulder girdle is letting you down. If the board is a true 50 then each move is going to require a very large element of one-arm strength. Now you obviously have some as you can lock off for one second. However as you have found you don't have enough and you've used your second of strength up by 2-4 moves in! Prob best way to make gains at your level is by doing sets of offset pull-ups and frenchies (working up to offset frenchies!). These will give you a bit of an arm and upper back workout with enough volume to have power-endurance benefits while going someway to targeting one-arm and locking strength respectively.

[/quote author=Nigel link=topic=9397.msg152589#msg152589 date=1213906636]

Thanks!!  I think you could be on to something here. I will start to throw a few offset pulls and frenchies into the mix for six weeks and see where that gets me.

I should have said that there aren't any problems on the 50 degree wall lower than font 7b.

philo

• forum hero
#45 Re: weakness mystery
June 20, 2008, 09:48:27 pm
do some core work, and this may sound daft but do some 45 degree work with trainers on, it will help you place you feet more carefully and i think it helps with core work as your putting less weight on your feet and holding your body close to the wall with your abs more.  proberbly not the best explanation has anyone else tried it?

Paul B

• forum hero
#46 Re: weakness mystery
June 20, 2008, 10:00:27 pm
No because there are a million other ways that are better  :shrug:

carefultorque

• player
#47 Re: weakness mystery
June 20, 2008, 10:28:58 pm
In terms of movement on a 50 board, a good default technique to work from is to keep your hips (and free leg) into the wall as much as poss throughout moves, drop a knee and twist into the move where possible, and stare out the hold you're going for (makes a lot of difference!). Kind of applies on all angles but becomes most apparent the steeper it gets.
I can imagine big malc reading this whilst tutting and shaking his head

It's inspiring to see big malc in action there.  Thanks for posting the clip and the tips: I'll have a go at applying these.

I think the wall I'm trying to do more on is a bit daft.  To keep the numbers that can use it to an absolute minimum, there are very few positive holds  except the odd side-pull. The crimps are mainly rank and I've seen some strong folk having to crimp the fuck out of slopers.  Even Malc there has some positive holds!

It's okay, just going to take a wee bit longer to sus what's needed.

philo

• forum hero
#48 Re: weakness mystery
June 20, 2008, 11:05:22 pm
No because there are a million other ways that are better  :shrug:

meh i guess your right. i only really do it when ive not tried all the problems and are at the end of a session

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#49 Re: weakness mystery
June 20, 2008, 11:10:29 pm
Has anyone suggested that you just go bouldering 3 times per week?
Technique and strength all in one, and it's FUN!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal