UKBouldering.com

Anorexia (Read 14902 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#50 Re: Anorexia
July 04, 2008, 12:17:45 pm
It oversimplifies the way to loose bodyfat without loosing lean muscle mass. Cutting diets aren't quite as simple as the article might suggest imo.

tc

• junky
#51 Re: Anorexia
July 04, 2008, 12:41:19 pm
Greetings Steven! I've sent you a Personal Message.
tc

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#52 Re: Anorexia
July 04, 2008, 02:46:00 pm
As to weigth and climbing, if you loose wieght too fast you may (probably) loose more muscle than fat, with steroids this effect would be negated. If you wish to do a test to see how good you would be at a lower wieght try pulling on a hold you cant pull on normally but with 4 kgs taken off with a pully and weight, you will be shocked.
I see your point completely and a la le sausage I can't see that being a particularly bad thing if you've got a bit of leaning out to do. What I fail to comprehend (or don't wish to believe) is that you will see the same increase in performance as you reduce the weight even further (to a level that makes you ill). There's got to be a point where it just doesn't get you anywhere, yes you might be able to hang a micron wide edge but energy levels and recovery surely suffer and hence make the whole process a waste of time (but you didn't find this to happen?). I guess this point will be at an earlier stage in bouldering where power is more of a focus compared to routes.

Completely agree, the catabolic state of the caloric deficit will render musculotendinous injury at some point (varies by age/training age) making the A.N. condition at odds with climbing performance (although I agree that clipping bolts will probably favor the A.N. over bouldering).

At the recent Bouldering World Cup in Vail, the female Finalists (Euro and American) didn't appear to be in unhealthy BF conditions.  The shift (in the States) from sport to bouldering, I think, has taken the edge off of extreme weight management.  It seemed like the top female competitors of the lat 90's were unusually lean, and today's competitors look more athletic. 

The climber who has decided to cut weight (short term, as per the example of 3 weeks) is playing a risky game in relation to performance.  Is the cut weight water (does that person normally retain water, if so fluid loss may be a benefit, if not, then they should expect a performance deficit) or lean mass (is the lean mass from the chain of climbing specific musculature...depends on the anthropomorphic features of the individual) or fat loss (generally of benefit, but unlikely in such a short term without risking lean mass loss)?  Loss of lean mass may not be a big issue as climbing performance is closer to neurological upregulation and tensil strength than large muscular cross-sectional diameter strength...some balance must be had.  Some hypertrophy is needed for performance and some is needed for structural integrity to avoid injury.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#53 Re: Anorexia
July 04, 2008, 04:25:09 pm
i think that to train at your limit you need a healthy, solid body. modern routes are far more brutal than years ago, when the playing ground was mostly vertical. i am absolutely nobody at climbing, but since i started to train seriously i can't cut any food from my diet and don't want to lose weight. bouldering is very different from sport climbing on this, but even in world cup lead events i always see powerful, thick and muscular climbers.
i think that for someone losing alot of weight is a shortcut for some higher performance. i don't like it and don't do it.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#54 Re: Anorexia
July 05, 2008, 06:39:10 pm
The whole subject is perfect for misinformation, idle speculation and confusion between casualty and causality.

The trouble is climbers for many years thought that light was good and heavy was bad forgetting that the issue was health and specific fitness.

You'll never be fit living on a head of broccoli a day etc etc.  Just imagine how good the likes of Malc Smith (picking random person who used to have a high profile regarding weight and training to illustrate the point) could have been if they'd had sound advice on diet and training.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal