UKBouldering.com

Some like it hot (Read 107272 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#75 Re: Some like it hot
October 21, 2009, 11:14:24 am
And what about mustards?

I had some mild Russian mustard last week that made me cry, sneeze & cough!

That sounds like some good shit!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#76 Re: Some like it hot
October 23, 2009, 03:55:29 pm
I have a new winner in my "hottest chilli sauce" competition.  Wife got me it when away for a weekend with her mum, its a scorcher!!!

Very hot, only need a small amount on a cracker to induce a mild sweat.  Top notch stuff :thumbsup:

Grab yours from here

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#77 Re: Some like it hot
December 14, 2009, 04:30:45 pm
Some new sauces in the collection recently...

Tried the Cajun this morning, not that hot at all, garlic hot sauce to try this evening.

Certified idiots eating Bhut Jolokia chilli's...

I'm half tempted to get some of these, don't think I'd eat a whole one (at least not in one go!) and would probably put it in food as opposed to eating raw.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#78 Re: Some like it hot
December 14, 2009, 04:43:17 pm
Timely resurrection there Slackers - I have just discovered Chipotle chillis (aka smoked Habeneros) which are awesome when added to a chilli con carne and I have decided that next year I am going to try and make my own chilli powder for adding to chilli con carne which could be interesting...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#79 Re: Some like it hot
December 14, 2009, 04:47:34 pm
Timely resurrection there Slackers - I have just discovered Chipotle chillis (aka smoked Habeneros) which are awesome when added to a chilli con carne and I have decided that next year I am going to try and make my own chilli powder for adding to chilli con carne which could be interesting...

If you didn't keep any seeds you can probably get some from here.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#80 Re: Some like it hot
December 14, 2009, 08:57:01 pm
Has anyone else found that the heat seems to degrade really quickly with botique chilli products?

I've got some of this and it really has lost it's, well, masculinity.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#81 Re: Some like it hot
December 14, 2009, 09:19:09 pm
Has anyone else found that the heat seems to degrade really quickly with botique chilli products?

I find this happens with the more liquid based chilli sauces that have a high vinegar (cider vinegar sometimes) content, particularly Tabassco's normal brands (their habanerro doesn't do this much).

Solution...man up and eat it by the spoon full before it degrades :P

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#82 Re: Some like it hot
December 14, 2009, 10:46:13 pm
Eat, I inject it into my eyeballs, 'kin lightweight.

PS have you tried a good chilli suace on bacon butties when you're hungover.  just the ticket.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#83 Re: Some like it hot
December 15, 2009, 07:54:58 am

If you didn't keep any seeds you can probably get some from here.

I just bought some Chipotle flakes - growing a whole load of Habaneros and drying them I could do but the sheer hassle of smoking them as well is too much to contemplate...

Will search out that link though as I need at least three different sorts of chillis if I am going to make this chilli powder...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#84 Re: Some like it hot
December 15, 2009, 08:25:17 am
Certified idiots eating Bhut Jolokia chilli's...

The thing is, those boys aren't strangers to chillis.  It just shows how the Ghost Pepper is another level.

After the Boss "accidentlly" broke my bottle of Dave's Gourmet I will be shopping about for something new (and probably more of Dave's too).  I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:31:00 am by GCW »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#85 Re: Some like it hot
December 16, 2009, 08:33:02 pm
Just ordered a couple of things, I'll let people know how they are sometime.
Mad Dog 357 Ghost Pepper
Dave's Gourmet Ultimate Insanity
Blair's Ultra Death 20/20 edition (I note Cowboyhat's comments anout the original)
Bit of a mix between extracts and pepper sauces.  Yum.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#86 Re: Some like it hot
December 17, 2009, 09:52:54 am
That sounds like a rather hot selection, look forward to hearing the tasting notes.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#87 Re: Some like it hot
December 22, 2009, 12:29:13 pm
These have arrived today, so I've had  a (small) spoon of each to test.  Initial thoughts:

Just ordered a couple of things, I'll let people know how they are sometime.
Mad Dog 357 Ghost Pepper

My favourite of the 3 taste wise.  Pretty hot, but not aggressive- starts getting hot after a few seconds then gradual gets hotter.  I'd recommend this one.

Dave's Gourmet Ultimate Insanity

Instant punch, much more than the other two, but rapidly just becomes hot and fades to a mellow warmth and good taste.  Similar to but hotter than the standard Insanity.

Blair's Ultra Death 20/20 edition

Builds over a few seconds to an intense heat, taste a little let down by the extracts but otherwise good.  The hottest of the three in an in your face way.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#88 Re: Some like it hot
December 22, 2009, 12:40:38 pm
They all sound good, got some of Dave's (normal) Insanity the other day, makes for a good (light) dipping sauce.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#89 Re: Some like it hot
December 22, 2009, 02:35:58 pm
Yeah, I used to splash it in a lot of stuff.  The Ultimate is a fair bit hotter but quite similar taste wise- you should take a look.
In general I prefer the non-extract sauces, but Dave's Gourmet are always good.
I may risk a spoonful of the 357, it's real tasty!

andy_e

• forum hero
#90 Re: Some like it hot
December 25, 2009, 06:17:54 pm
Anybody got any recommendations for chilis which taste fairly sweet and still have a kick?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#91 Re: Some like it hot
December 26, 2009, 02:58:20 pm
Have you tried the trusty old Encona?  I like them and use it instead of Ketchup when in the mood.  Varying amounts of kick, with a nice taste.

I have also used sweet chili sauce and added a couple of drops of hot stuff to tailor make stuff- fantastic!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#92 Re: Some like it hot
January 02, 2010, 05:27:34 pm
Have you tried the trusty old Encona?  I like them and use it instead of Ketchup when in the mood.  Varying amounts of kick, with a nice taste.
The bizzle, I got a bottle whilst away camping and couldn't leave it alone. Very tasty.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#93 Re: Some like it hot
January 14, 2010, 11:56:49 am
My top chilli website is having a clear out with a massive saving of £0.50-£1.00 on lots of sauces.

For xmas I got some chilli seeds for four different varieties to grow alongside my Habanerros.  The seeds were Black Pearl, Tabasco, an F1 Thai hybrid and the most prized of all, six Chocolate Naga Jolokia seeds (hopefully these will germinate and pollinate unlike the Naga Morich I had this year which just grew but didn't pollinate).

Might have to buy a greenhouse this year though!

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#94 Re: Some like it hot
January 14, 2010, 12:47:56 pm
Anybody got any recommendations for chilis which taste fairly sweet and still have a kick?

Only just seen this - the obvious choice would be a Habanero or maybe a Scotch Bonnet - both are up there on the heat ratings and have the fruity flavour you are looking for. Serrano chillies are also a good option - not quite as hot or as fruity as the Habanero but they still pack a punch - all the above should be available from most Indian supermarkets.

An alternative would be to check out the dried chillies at coolchile.co.uk - used these guys in the past and the products seem to be of a very high quality.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#95 Re: Some like it hot
January 14, 2010, 12:58:52 pm
Slackers - the dried chillies that I have bought all have seeds with them and there is no reason to think that they won't grow again. Would you be interested in some if I was to save them for you?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#96 Re: Some like it hot
January 14, 2010, 01:18:31 pm
Slackers - the dried chillies that I have bought all have seeds with them and there is no reason to think that they won't grow again. Would you be interested in some if I was to save them for you?

Are they from the Chipottle you mentioned (smoked habanerro's)?

If so I'll probably be ok thanks as I've tons of habanerro's seeds from this years harvest, but thanks for the thought/offer.  :hug:

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#97 Re: Some like it hot
January 14, 2010, 01:24:59 pm
There are some Habaneros which I was guessing that you didn't want. However I currently have Kashmir, Ancho's, New Mexico Red and De Arbol's and there will probably be some Pasilla's, Mulato's and Guajillo seeds as well in a few weeks time.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#98 Re: Some like it hot
January 14, 2010, 01:30:05 pm
There are some Habaneros which I was guessing that you didn't want. However I currently have Kashmir, Ancho's, New Mexico Red and De Arbol's and there will probably be some Pasilla's, Mulato's and Guajillo seeds as well in a few weeks time.

Chilli overload!  Yes I'd take some seeds of those off your hands if you don't want/need them, that would be cool, cheers.

Think I'll definitely have to get a green house (and lots of Chilli Focus), not sure I can get away with turning our garden into a poly-tunnel (yet!).

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#99 Re: Some like it hot
January 28, 2010, 07:16:41 pm
Finally discovered the Tesco superstore near us sells Scotch Bonnets, so I've bought a load.  I had one this afternoon and I think these taste great, nice and sweet and fruity before the heat kicks in.  Hot, but I have to say they aren't as hot as I was expecting. 

Next time I make a Thai Green curry I think I'll use these instead of finger chillies.  I'm keen to get hold of some fresh Cornish Naga, or Jolokias.  May try one of the online stores.  Mmmmm.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal