UKBouldering.com

Some like it hot (Read 107007 times)

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#50 Re: Some like it hot
June 11, 2009, 02:35:02 pm

Now resident on my window sill and receiving plenty of Chilli Focus*, sunlight and warmth

* This stuff is excellent, have been feeding eight habannero plants with this and they are doing very well, at least x10-15 in size than a couple that I gave the same friend earlier in the year (although there will of course be differences in positioning (light) and watering that also contribute to the differences).

Is it any good for sweet pepper plants?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#51 Re: Some like it hot
June 12, 2009, 07:55:40 am

Now resident on my window sill and receiving plenty of Chilli Focus*, sunlight and warmth

* This stuff is excellent, have been feeding eight habannero plants with this and they are doing very well, at least x10-15 in size than a couple that I gave the same friend earlier in the year (although there will of course be differences in positioning (light) and watering that also contribute to the differences).

Is it any good for sweet pepper plants?

Yep, as all peppers/chillis are the same family.  I've some sweet pepper plants and they're loving it

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#52 Re: Some like it hot
June 13, 2009, 04:51:38 pm
Following Slackers' (not very) subliminal advertising, I got all over the scorchio site and hooked myself up with these mothers:

In the interests of SCIENCE I just have a cheese sarnie and put a bit of each on each half.

Pain Is Good Jamaican Hot Sauce

Very tasty - lots of heat, aggressive but without being unpleasant. Good flavour as well, once it tones down there's a sharp, peppery aftertaste going on.

Zulu Zulu Piri Piri

Not as hot (on purpose - thought I'd get a variety), but still a good tang to it. Excellent flavour though, you can really taste the citrusy, lemon and lime juice side to it. Think it'll go really well with chicken dishes.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#53 Re: Some like it hot
June 14, 2009, 07:14:15 am
 :thumbsup:The Jamaican Style Pain is Good is one of my favourites too.  Due to put another order in with Scorchio (using a voucher that seems to remain permanently in-credit on my account after three orders  :whistle:)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#54 Re: Some like it hot
July 21, 2009, 10:54:43 am
My habanero chilli plants are starting to produce fruit, this is the most productive so far, but the others (I've eight in total) have some small ones coming through and are covered in flowers so should have a good harvest in due course...

Just purchased some of this stuff (Chilli Pete's Dragon Slayer), and am slightly apprehensive about trying it since its got crystal capsaicin extra which rates at 15million scovilles  :o

Quote from: Scorchio Review
After sampling this in small quantities we all agreed that it has some rather strange mood altering (some even said hallucinogenic) side effects: Pete puts this down to the intense release of endorphins released  when such a concentration of capsaicin is released into the body.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#55 Re: Some like it hot
July 21, 2009, 11:01:03 am
This is my sauce of choice. 4 drops of this and adds a bit of fire to anything.

Just don't ever put some on the tip if your tongue out the bottle.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#56 Re: Some like it hot
July 21, 2009, 11:26:52 am

Had some of this as a dipping sauce whilst out eating pub grub, pretty damn hot!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#57 Re: Some like it hot
July 21, 2009, 03:33:48 pm
Had some of this as a dipping sauce whilst out eating pub grub, pretty damn hot!
Dipping  :o are you mad?!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#58 Re: Some like it hot
July 21, 2009, 03:42:24 pm
Dipping  :o are you mad?!

Hadn't tried it before and after having started couldn't loose face by letting it get the better of me (my wife would have laughed for the next three days), it wasn't that unbearable, but I didn't dip every chip/nibble in it and each piece only got a light dusting.

They actually had some of the hotter varieties of Dave's Gourmet Sauces, I'm glad I didn't try those!!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#59 Re: Some like it hot
July 21, 2009, 03:52:58 pm
Hmmm, maybe the exact one i have isn't that identical one. I shall check. I tiny drop on the end of the finger would make you face go numb. I can eat hot stuff, but this blew my mind!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#60 Re: Some like it hot
July 31, 2009, 01:35:12 pm
interesting packaging

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#61 Re: Some like it hot
July 31, 2009, 01:54:51 pm
Hmm, I wonder whether thats meant to be eaten or used somewhere else  :-\

Got some hot chilli infused sherry from Bermuda, yesterday, dip taste suggests its a warm 'un, will see how it works as a sauce in food and report back.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#62 Re: Some like it hot
August 03, 2009, 10:48:05 am
The chilli infused sherry is a definite winner, will post a picture of the bottle up when I get home later.

Now I like my chilli, but not half as much as this guy...

6.4 million Scoville chilli sauce, check the amount he necks  :o

Now it seems he got on with that one okay and can handle his heat, but check out what happens when he eats a Dorset Naga (selectively bred from the Naga Moricho)...

Quote from: Chilli Nutter
The Dorset Naga. wow it was insane, i thought i was going to have a heart attack, and never experienced Heat like that Before. i Really don't Recommend this 1, really..i had dinner 3 hrs later and couldn't taste it, IVE LOST my sense of Taste,, see how long that lasts.. It Lasted 36 Hrs, then all taste was Back.. Ok that was 960,000 SHU.
Next....Hmm The Naga Morich, see if it is the Same as the Dorset.
oh dear..

Then there is the Naga Morich (have one of these growing on my window-sill at the moment, can't wait  :'( )...

Quote from: Chilli nutter
The Naga Morich, 1,000,000+ SHU. this 1 felt like some1 shoving a Hot coal into the Back of my throat plus made my Ears hurt.. i Reallly Reallly Don't Recommend doing this One.Is it the Same as the Dorset? Tastes same and Hurt for same amount of time, and Bad, the Dorset is a Bit Worse i reakon.
BUT that may be due to me Expecting this, whereas the Dorset was my 1st Naga and was scared, may have made it Feel worse..

Hope you enjoy

Now for the Bih and Bhut..

There's a whole channel of this guy abusing his tastebuds (although obviously they get a bit sameish/boring after a while).

Plattsy

• forum hero
#63 Re: Some like it hot
August 03, 2009, 10:54:29 am
Been using these as an alternative to Jalepenos they're really tasty. Just like they say hot n fruity.

Got some Daves Insanity sauce and I'd say 1/2 drops is enough for some heat. Not tried 4 drops yet. The 4 drops test will have to wait until I'm cooking for just me.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#64 Re: Some like it hot
August 03, 2009, 01:09:03 pm
The Manzano's sound good, will keep my eye's peeled when next in the shops.

The 4 drops test will have to wait until I'm cooking for just me.

A perennial problem I have to deal with, its one of the main reasons I buy so many chilli sauces, so I can cook a dish and then spice my food up with whatever takes my fancy without blowing my wife's head off (figuratively of course!).

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#65 Re: Some like it hot
August 08, 2009, 04:49:02 pm
Just read this about a chilli cook-off comp and judged tasting:

Judge ..3 was an inexperienced Chili taster named Frank, who was visiting from Springfield, IL.
Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table, asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges(Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy; and, besides, they told me I could have free beer
during the tasting, so I accepted and became Judge 3."

Here are the scorecard notes from the event:

CHILI .. 1 - MIKE'S MANIAC MONSTER CHILI
Judge .. 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge .. 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
Judge .. 3 (Frank) -- Holy crap, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

CHILI .. 2 - AUSTIN'S AFTERBURNER CHILI
Judge .. 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.
Judge .. 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
Judge .. 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI .. 3 - FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI
Judge .. 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick.
Judge .. 2 -- A bit salty, good use of peppers.
Judge .. 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting shitfaced from all of the beer.

CHILI .. 4 - BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC
Judge .. 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
Judge .. 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
Judge .. 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the beer maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. This 300 lb. woman is starting to look HOT ... just like this nuclear waste I'm eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?

CHILI .. 5 - LISA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER
Judge .. 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
Judge .. 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
Judge .. 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted, and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really ticks me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw them.

CHILI .. 6 - VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY
Judge .. 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.
Judge .. 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, garlic. Superb.
Judge .. 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I crapped on myself when I farted, and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.

CHILI .. 7 - SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI
Judge .. 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
Judge .. 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. **I should take note that I am worried about Judge .. 3. He appears to be a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
Judge .. 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing it's too painful. Screw it; I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI .. 8 - BIG TOM'S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI
Judge .. 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
Judge .. 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge ..3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor feller, wonder how he'd have reacted to really hot chili?
Judge .. 3 - No Report

:)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#66 Re: Some like it hot
August 09, 2009, 10:25:19 pm

I bought some of this, and of course I did what you said not to.
It's quite hot, but I think my taste buds must be half dead as it's pretty tolerable neat.  Nice taste though.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#67 Re: Some like it hot
August 14, 2009, 01:53:57 pm
First habanero is starting to ripen, can't wait, keen to try making my own hot sauce  :)

(Crap camera phone picture)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#68 Re: Some like it hot
September 22, 2009, 10:35:20 am
Right after growing a load of habanerro chilli plants from seed all year....

...I got round to harvesting the first batch of ripe chilli's....

...and last night set about making my own "Slacker's Habanerro Chilli Hot Sauce"...

Ingredients
1 Red Pepper
9 Fresh Tomatoes
5 large garlic cloves
3 sweet beetroots
2 large onions
3-4 spring onions
Fresh thyme
Fresh Corriander
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil
Cider vinegar
5 Red chilli's
20 Fresh Habanerro's (although these ranged in size from around 1cm to 4-5cm)

Deseed the peppers and tomatoes and grill lightly...

Remove the tomato skins and discard

Bung in the blender, the chop your garlic, dessed the normal chillis and set the seeds to one side, don rubber gloves in preperation for chopping the habnerros

De-seed the habanerro's, removing the seeds and setting to one side (so you can grow more next year) but put the pith in the blender, its the hottest part of the chilli

Slice up the beetroot too then blend.  Chop the onion up fine and fry in olive oil till golden

Add the fried onions to the blender along with a good glug of olive oil, a bigger glug of cider vinegar and the thyme, spring onions, freshly ground black pepper corns and corriander and blend again.

Once well blended bung in a pan with the seeds from the red-chilli

Simmer on a very low heat for 2-3 hours until it reduces down and has changed colour

Sterilise containers, I couldn't find anywhere selling bottles yesterday so plumped for traditional preserving jars

Pour sauce into jars

Sterilise again to kill off any nasty bacteria

Tasted at various stages and I have to say its very nice, beetroot adds a little sweetness to it all, but there's a lot of heat (no surprises there then!) but being habanerro's its got a very fruity taste.  :thumbsup:

Now all I have to do is get through the whole lot before it goes off, might try freezing some, or finding some bottles to sterilise and give away to firends.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:43:07 am by slack---line »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#69 Re: Some like it hot
September 22, 2009, 10:52:34 am
That's looking mighty fine Slack--line  :thumbsup:

Can't wait for the Habenero plants you gave me to ripen up.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#70 Re: Some like it hot
September 22, 2009, 02:59:09 pm
Going to have a proper good tasting session this evening and smother dinner in it  :)

As per twitter, yours are coming along nicely.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#71 Re: Some like it hot
September 22, 2009, 03:45:04 pm
Those are some top quality chilli sauce recipe photos there Slackers!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#72 Re: Some like it hot
September 22, 2009, 04:10:40 pm
Those are some top quality chilli sauce recipe photos there Slackers!

Cheers, tried out a new way of setting ISO on my camera (set to Auto, but dial in the minimum shutter speed, then shoot on Aperture priority and it works out the shutter speed and ISO on its own).  Also set the WB for flourescent light which probably helped with the clarity, although overall a few are a bit grainy due to the ISO being very high (which my old D50 is very poor at).  Roll on the day I upgrade to a D300!!!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#73 Re: Some like it hot
October 19, 2009, 01:23:40 pm
And what about mustards?

I had some mild Russian mustard last week that made me cry, sneeze & cough!

kilgore1080

• player
  • Hashi Tensai!
#74 Re: Some like it hot
October 21, 2009, 11:10:53 am
Excellent can't wait to get stuck into the Cholula now, cheers Stubbs.

Its not just chillis though, wasabi is another great hot condiment and you can't go far wrong with wasabi peas....

I'm pretty sure I got some of these from the Chinese wholesale supermarket near the Edge, and expect you can get them in the asian food shop in Broomhill too (although haven't been in there recently and checked).  Theres no contest between these and the various chilli nuts you can get these days.

If you can get 'em try the wasabi peanuts, they're fookin' awesome!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal