UKBouldering.com

Some like it hot (Read 106268 times)

dave smith

• regular
#25 Re: Some like it hot
June 09, 2008, 06:40:46 pm
Anyone got a decent recipe for Chilli Con Carne. Currently using Jamie Oliver's but was wondering if anyone has a better one?

From the "To make you remember your little Grandma" chapter of the cookbook of the Women's Rotary Society of Tecuala, Nayarit, Mexico:

1/2 kilo of meat (beef mince or chopped pork)
4 tomatoes, cleaned and roasted (on a skillet)
Onion
8 Chiles de árbol (the ones that look like this: )
Oil

Brown and dry the meat.
Chuck everything else in, and leave for a few minutes.

Authentic and simple!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#26 Re: Some like it hot
June 09, 2008, 07:31:19 pm
Apologies if this is old news, but tried cooking with stuff called Harissa recently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harissa

Lovely stuff. Quite hot, but not ridiculously so, with a nice spicy taste. Lovely with lamb. You can get it in most decent international food shops (but not supermarket chains).

Always good to hear that Harissa is making the rounds.  Very good stuff, very cheap in France (until the pound bottomed out against the euro).  Makes a good staple for spicing sauces up when you don't want to blow guests heads off.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#27 Re: Some like it hot
June 09, 2008, 08:06:49 pm
cheap here too, but i guess that may change as existing stocks run out. about 80p for a small tin.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#28 Re: Some like it hot
June 09, 2008, 09:50:23 pm
Are we talking tortilla chips, hombre?

Word, that's the sort of shit I'm thinking about.

I was thinking of a salsa type 'thin' sauce for dipping but I'd also like a thicker, ketchup type consistency number. For the latter I was after something a bit like the kebab shop, but nice. My current idea is tinned toms, onion, garlic, ginger, chillis a bit of vinegar, reduce it down and blitz it and see what happens.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#29 Re: Some like it hot
June 09, 2008, 10:01:13 pm
I was thinking of a salsa type 'thin' sauce for dipping but I'd also like a thicker, ketchup type consistency number. For the latter I was after something a bit like the kebab shop, but nice. My current idea is tinned toms, onion, garlic, ginger, chillis a bit of vinegar, reduce it down and blitz it and see what happens.

Salsa's nicer with fresh tomoatos, deseeded and chopped.  I'd use a little olive oil as opposed to vinegar too and this way you don't need to reduce it.  If you want a thicker sauce you can mix in some tomato puree.

You can save some chillis and mix them up with some avocado and a few other ingredients (this is as good as any recipe), ideal for the tortilla mix.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 10:22:47 pm by slack---line, Reason: added comment on not needing to reduce salsa »

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#30 Re: Some like it hot
June 09, 2008, 10:06:15 pm

[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm with you. Something like what mamma used to make with a low-rent Mexicano flava. You're obviously some sort of Chef so I'll be waiting so see how this masterpiece pans out...
Bring that shit on.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#31 Re: Some like it hot
June 11, 2008, 08:53:47 am
Sounds brutal. this is not a beer for drinking, this is a beer for laying down and avoiding. Does it make you hallucinate talking coyotes?

Do you know what the Pepper of Quetzalzatenango, or the Guatemalan Insanity Pepper, get on this scoville scale?

It can be whatever you want it to be since it sounds like its a bit like cake (i.e.  made up).  If I remember correctly Homer goes on a little trip after taking them and no doubt saw talking coyotes ;)

Coincidentally, this episode is on C4 tonight. Worth another viewing.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#32 Re: Some like it hot
June 11, 2008, 04:58:17 pm
Chris, I am a big fan of harissa for spicing up my cooking - usually prefer to buy it in tubes for ease of use when only putting a little bit in.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#33 Re: Some like it hot
July 05, 2008, 10:03:51 am
Found a great recipe for West Sumatra Fish Curry that makes a nice hot curry.  Obviously heat levels can be modulated by the number of dried chilli's you put in the paste mixture.

I've tried this with tilapia and cod, both of which worked well. 

One thing I found though was that the coconut milk doesn't actually separate that quickly.  This can be circumvented by using cans that have been sat around for a while (and not shaking them vigorously prior to opening) which will have already separated and the cream can be separated straight out of the can.

In case it disappears from the BBC here's a copy of the recipe...

Ingredients
1.2 litres/2 pints coconut milk
8-12 dried hot red chillies
2 sticks fresh or 2 tbsp dried sliced lemongrass
4cm/1˝in cube fresh or 5-6 slices dried galangal
15g/˝oz candlenuts or cashew nuts
100g/4oz red pepper
100g/4oz shallots or onions
2.5cm/1in cube fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic
˝ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp paprika
1kg/2lb fish steaks about 2.5cm/1in thick
1˝ tsp salt
2˝ tbsp lime or lemon juice
4 tbsp vegetable oil
4-5 fresh kaffir lime leaves or 7.5x1cm/3x7˝in piece lemon rind
10 fresh curry leaves or 3 dried bay leaves
15-20 fresh mint leaves
8-10 cherry or very small tomatoes

Method
1. Leave the coconut milk to stand for a while until the cream has risen to the top.
2. Crumble the red chillies into a small bowl. Add the dried lemongrass and dried galangal, if you are using them, and the nuts. Add enough water just to cover and leave to soak for 1 hour.
3. If you are using fresh lemongrass, cut about 15cm/6in off each stick, measuring from the bottom and discard the rest. Crush the bulbous bottoms lightly with a hammer or other heavy object and set aside.
4. If you are using fresh galangal, peel and coarsely chop it.
5. Remove the seeds from the red pepper and chop it coarsely. Peel the shallots, ginger and garlic and chop them coarsely.
6. In an electric blender combine the soaked ingredients and their soaking liquid, the fresh galangal (if you are using it), the red pepper, shallots, ginger, garlic, turmeric and paprika. Blend thoroughly, adding another 1-2 tbsp of water if necessary.
7. Rub the fish steaks with ˝ tbsp of the salt and 1 tbsp of the lime juice. Set aside.
8. Coconut cream should have risen to the top of the coconut milk. Spoon it off and set aside. Add enough water to the remaining thin coconut milk to make it up to about 1.5 litres/2˝ pints.
9. Put the oil in a large, preferably non-stick frying pan and set it over a medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, put in the paste from the blender. Stir and fry until the paste turns dark red and separates from the oil. (Turn the heat down a little if neccessary while you do this.)
10. Put in the thin coconut milk-water combination and add the two whole sticks of fresh lemongrass, if you are using it.
11. Bring to the boil, scraping up any hardened juices stuck to the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat to low and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Remove the lemongrass and set aside.
12. Empty the contents of the pan into a sieve set over a bowl and push the sauce through. Return all but 4 tbsp of the sieved sauce to the frying pan and bring it to a simmer.
13. Put the lemon grass sticks back in along with the lime leaves (or lemon rind), curry leaves, mint, the remaining 1˝ tbsp lime juice and the remaining 1 tsp salt. Stir.
14. Now lay the fish steaks in a single layer in the pan and bring its contents to a simmer again over a medium-low heat. Cook gently for about 10 minutes or until the fish is done, spooning the hot sauce over the steaks frequently.
15. Put the thick coconut cream into a bowl and stir it well. Slowly add the 4 tbsp of reserved sauce and mix it in. Pour this over the fish.
16. Halve the tomatoes and add them to the pan. Cook until everything is just heated through, then serve.

Paz

• junky
#34 Re: Some like it hot
July 06, 2008, 11:41:31 pm
At the risk of giving too much info, do you guys not get afterburn?  I used to like Vindaloos regularly, and the one Phall was OK, but since then, probably ever since I wolfed down a friend's curry made with Scotch bonnets, I've never been able to enjoy them since (but now I've had really nice spicy Manchester Karahi I wouldn't want to anyway).  Thankfully I can still eat Thai curries, but (I don't know if I've got a fast metabolism or something) my way around it is to cook and eat using whole or roughly chopped chillies.  I don't know if it's related to what the chilli's Capsaicin is soluble'd in - when I cook with chilli in water based sauces I'm OK, and with chilli in coconut milk I'm fine too - maybe it's down to that evil Ghee.  Using whole chillis is a bit fairer on your guests too, as they can nearly eat as hot a meal as what they want.  Two years ago I'd eaten loads of them and thought I was going to get it really bad, but it turned out fine cos the chillis were whole. 

I made my own pickled chillies last year too, and they were the shit.  However Lidl's, are just shit.  The ones with kebabs are real nice but get over powered by some place's mental chilli sauce, and they're too vinegary, if anything being too vinegary is actually possible.  A guy in such a shop told me they use a Turkish variety and pickling doesn't work with Pakistani chillis, but I liked mine better.  I'd go with Green ones, maybe Orange, but they're variable however you do them.  I'm talking lush ones that look related to pimentos, not Thai captain birdseyes or Scotch bonnets FFS.  You get a nice bittery pepperness with green ones too.  You want to leave them about two or three weeks in the vinegar.  Salt to taste.  Leave them too long and they start going a bit mushy, but still edible.  I haven't tried pin pricking them, but it's an idea.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#35 Re: Some like it hot
February 24, 2009, 01:39:11 pm
Thought I'd resurrect this thread in light of some recent purchases....

From the local supermarket the following two are just about polished off...

Dunn's : Very nice, mildly-fruity and spicy, quite hot too.  Will be purchasing more in the future as its great to plaster on pasta.
Jonkanoo : Also very nice (can you see a theme in my taste preferences!).  More fruity than Dunns, and slightly less of a kick.

Now the real reason why I'm resurrecting the thread is that I remembered the other day that I'd been given a voucher for Scorchio.co.uk for xmas and having run out of the above two chilli sauces it was time to re-supply.  Here's the gamut I've got to work through over the coming weeks/months....

No tasting notes yet as they've only just arrived, but pictures are linked to relevant pages.  Can't wait to try the Dragon's Blood!!!

And with my green fingers poised to salvage a few of these from the cooking pot, 25g of dried habanerro (couldn't quite bring myself to purchase the dried Naga chilli's, perhaps next time!)

Best of all, the voucher I got was used against the above purchases, but my account still appears to be in credit by the value of the voucher, so I get to spend the present twice   :thumbsup: Now do I get the Naga chilli's :-\  :devangel:

@Paz : Never really had a problem with afterburn/ring-stinger unless I've eaten a lot of whole chilli's that haven't been de-seeded.

Dolly

• forum hero
#36 Re: Some like it hot
February 24, 2009, 01:58:07 pm
scorchio.co.uk looks great.
I don't really know where to start TBH.
I'm after a nutty snack type thing.
Any recommendations ?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#37 Re: Some like it hot
February 24, 2009, 02:10:59 pm
Can't recommend anything from the site as this is the first purchase I've made and of their selection I've only tried Ass Kickin Hot Sauce a friend bought back from Japan (have to say it wasn't that hot really). 

The Cholula mentioned further up the thread might possibly fit the bill (it certainly won't blow your head off, but is very tasty).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#38 Re: Some like it hot
February 27, 2009, 11:15:12 am
Right have been sampling the delights of

Tasting Notes : initially very sweet, but that blends into a fruity flavour after a few seconds, and this is accompanied by a rising heat.  Its hot, but not uncomfortably so, and four or five drops on top of my fried eggs was enough to induce a "glow" on the brow.  Added some to a can of vegetable soup (bit more generous with six or seven drops) and that was dead tasty, again hot, but not unbearably so.  I don't think its one to be smothering your food in, but it gets the  :thumbsup: from me.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#39 Re: Some like it hot
February 27, 2009, 11:55:26 am
Been meaning to update on this for a while, but late last year I got hold of a bottle of Blair's 3AM Reserve sauce (http://www.chilefarm.co.uk/blairs_3am_reserve.html), and to celebrate Halloween I cooked up some 'Halloween Hot' Chilli.

The bottle:

The warning on the box:

The bottle, uncorked:

Tasting notes:

Bloody hot.

I mean it - really, really, exceptionally hot. I like spicy food but this stuff is crazy - I dropped like four drops of Blair's into a big pan of chilli, and it was amazingly aggressive.

You know how sometimes you get that satisfying, slow warming up feeling with spicy food? This is like someone creeping up behind you and cracking you over the head with a cricket bat. In a spicy way.

One of my mates fancies himself as a bit of a chilli hardman and decided to eat some neat Blair's off the spoon. He consumed a 3mm drop, went bright pink, nearly lost his voice and was next found in my lounge with his jumper on, shivering!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#40 Re: Some like it hot
February 27, 2009, 12:48:04 pm
 :o that sounds horrendous.  Whilst I like my chilli-heat I've purposefully avoided the stuff that claims to be "hottest in the world" or "insanity" sauces etc.

A friend had a jar of chilli sauce that his parents had picked up from a farmers market and he had raved on about how hot it was.  I took the challenge and had a small drop about enough to cover the tip of one prong on a fork and it blew my head off!!!  That's why I avoid such excessively intense chillis, there's just no flavour to them and its all about heat (reflected in the ingredients of that Blair's Reserve).

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#41 Re: Some like it hot
February 27, 2009, 01:12:49 pm
Indeed - it was actually a leaving present from work from the aforementioned chilli hardman, I wouldn't have bought it for myself!

Good linkage there slackers, I'll be checking out that scorchio site, going to order a couple of more sensible spicy options...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#42 Re: Some like it hot
April 15, 2009, 08:06:27 am
....but not as hot as some.  The closing sentence is a bit worrying  :o 

Couple more purchases have been made...

Jalapeno Harrisa : Quite mild but tasty, sweet, almost like theres honey in there.

Jalapeno Wasabi : Not as bad as it might sound.  The heat isn't over-powering at all, and rather than the strong kick in the nasal cavity that wasabi gives its more akin to a strong horseradish strength (wasabi and horseradish are closely related though, so not overly surprising).  Very tasty though, and more will be purchased in the future.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#43 Re: Some like it hot
April 15, 2009, 10:21:39 am
She rubbed the seeds into her eyes - what????!!!

Jalepino Wasabi sounds like a proper demon combo, I need to get my scorchio flex on once I've got some money coming in again.

On a hot food flava, Sainsbury's does some nice 'taste the difference' chilli peppers, they're the really big ones, really bright green in colour. I never pay full price for them but quite often you find them reduced in the evenings.

I find chopping them in half lengthways, hollowing out the chilli (up to you whether you chuck out the seeds or rub them into your eyes), filling with cream cheese and then grilling them a very tasty treat...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#44 Re: Some like it hot
April 15, 2009, 10:28:53 am
Fuck, that sounds good. Well not the rubbing seeds in your eyes bit obviously.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#45 Re: Some like it hot
April 15, 2009, 10:32:20 am
I've had them filled with mozarella and deep fried before, really good. And it wasn't even in Scotland.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#46 Re: Some like it hot
June 08, 2009, 03:50:47 pm
My friend got my an early birthday present (still got two months to go), but he was worried about killing it.

Naga Morich  the world's hottest chilli's 8)

Now resident on my window sill and receiving plenty of Chilli Focus*, sunlight and warmth

Of course I'm assuming that the guy he bought it off of on ebay is being honest and not banging out any old seeds  :P

* This stuff is excellent, have been feeding eight habannero plants with this and they are doing very well, at least x10-15 in size than a couple that I gave the same friend earlier in the year (although there will of course be differences in positioning (light) and watering that also contribute to the differences).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#47 Re: Some like it hot
June 11, 2009, 11:00:33 am
Whislt looking for more seeds to buy I've just found a site that sells a chilli extract that rates 7.3million scovilles* and pure crystal capsaicin at 15million scovilles.  :o :jaw:

Don't think I'll be trying those thanks!

Anyone who wishes to run around for half an hour or so in agonising chilli pain can poison themselves with these things from here (scroll down about 2/3rds for the above two).

* Apparently law enforcement pepper spray clocks in at around 5million scovilles!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#48 Re: Some like it hot
June 11, 2009, 12:46:36 pm
Quote from: some stupid site that thinks adding an onrightmouseclick bollox is going to stop anyone copying their text
I must point out that we only sell this product as a collectors item and should not be opened and consumed.

LOL.

Still hopefully will stop the puerile willy-waving "WORLD'S HOTTEST ULTRA DEATH CHILLI SAUCE EVER" contests...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#49 Re: Some like it hot
June 11, 2009, 01:52:37 pm
best to wax-line your mouth first.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal