UKBouldering.com

Some like it hot (Read 107340 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#225 Re: Some like it hot
November 21, 2011, 09:00:55 pm
nice one... dont mind if it's cloudy.. hence my thought I'd get  better oil with part baking em first...

any more experiences??

cheers.

Paul B

• forum hero
#226 Re: Some like it hot
March 28, 2012, 03:17:17 pm
Does anyone have any opinions on whether I'd have more luck growing from seed or starter plants?

Also, I'm looking for something with a decent yield of fruit and medium heat, any ideas?

tomtom

• forum hero
#227 Re: Some like it hot
March 28, 2012, 05:56:33 pm
I've had them from both - starter pots (e.g small plant) just get you a couple of weeks further down the line and plus natural selection has already taken its course a bit by then...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#228 Re: Some like it hot
March 28, 2012, 06:45:33 pm
If you sow seeds early (e.g. February) and keep in warm and as sunny a spot as possible I don't think it makes a great deal of difference.

You probably have more choice on variety from seed.

As for productive varieties at an appropriate strength I can't really say, some plants of the same species have more fruit than others.  You can maximise yield by clipping the ends and encouraging outwards bushy growth and using a good fertiliser.

The seven-pot seeds* I grew last year were quite productive, but I suspect the climate (even on my window sills) wasn't hot enough for the all of the fruit to reach its full potential.

* Caribean in origin, apparently the name stems from the fact that one is sufficient for seven pots of food or something like that.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#229 Re: Some like it hot
March 29, 2012, 06:06:05 am
When I grew from seed and had so many chillis going on I had to give them away...

I must plant those habanero seeds I've still got from the plants you donated to me slack---line; do you think they'll still germinate after a couple of years?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#230 Re: Some like it hot
March 29, 2012, 07:37:38 am
I must plant those habanero seeds I've still got from the plants you donated to me slack---line; do you think they'll still germinate after a couple of years?

I expect so, you might get slightly lower gemination rates, but sow quite a few out and some should grow (and if they all germinate.... :))

tomtom

• forum hero
#231 Re: Some like it hot
March 29, 2012, 07:54:29 am

I expect so, you might get slightly lower gemination rates, but sow quite a few out and some should grow (and if they all germinate.... :))

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#232 Re: Some like it hot
March 29, 2012, 07:49:42 pm
Just planted some seeds out and the following is on the back packet of seeds from The Chilli Pepper Company.

Sow early spring in moist seed compost and barely cover the seed.  Germination usually takes 8-14days at 24-27C (75-80F)

Transplant seedlings when large enough to handle into 7.5cm (3in) and finally into 25cm (10in) pots or grow bags.  Aim for a night temperature of between 16-24C (60-75F) otherwise fruit setting may be poor.  Likewise keep daytime temperature around 24C (75F) for best results.

Planted out 6 x Naga Morich 6 x Red Scorpion (both Capsicum chinense varieties) 8 x Thai bird eye and 8 x Random orange chillis

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#233 Re: Some like it hot
June 14, 2012, 12:07:31 pm
Any recommendations for fresh/ dried chilli retailers?  I used to use World of Chillies but they fucked up my order a year ago and still haven't refunded, so I'm loathe to use them again.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#234 Re: Some like it hot
June 14, 2012, 12:13:11 pm
I have been bought things from this site on several occasions, though I have not actually used the site myself, the products have seemed good (to me).  The Chipotle chillies were great for adding a smokey flavour to chilli's, no idea how they stack up on price etc.
http://www.hot-headz.com/chilli-sauce/dried-chiles/

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#235 Re: Some like it hot
June 14, 2012, 12:15:43 pm
Thread ressurection has reminded me, the Caribbean stall in Castle Market (Sheffield) sells Bhut Jolokia/Naga chilli's for fuck all (£0.20 each), mixed tub on the counter some weren't in great confition, but even if you don't eat them its a very cheap way of getting seeds (albeit of unknown strains).

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#236 Re: Some like it hot
June 14, 2012, 12:18:00 pm
I lost all my frozen fresh chilles in The Great Freezer Disaster of 2011, so I need to re-stock the more interesting varieties.
I'm also out of all my dried ones except the cascabels, so I'm getting rather twitchy.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#237 Re: Some like it hot
June 14, 2012, 12:20:35 pm
Any recommendations for fresh/ dried chilli retailers?  I used to use World of Chillies but they fucked up my order a year ago and still haven't refunded, so I'm loathe to use them again.

Used Cool Chile for dried chillies and they seem pretty good - think I have had two or three orders with them and nothing has gone wrong.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#238 Re: Some like it hot
June 14, 2012, 12:47:40 pm
Good thread resurrection!

I should add that Leeds Sainsbury's is stocking an "Extra Hot" version of the (already pretty warm) Encona West Indian Hot Sauce. I got some the other day and it's pretty fire-ey.

Still got the nice, sweet flavour of the original version and the heat is still quite peppery and aggressive on the tongue, just on a much hotter scale! Mrs Z reckoned it was "nowt" but I was reaching for a cold lager when I tried some!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#239 Re: Some like it hot
June 14, 2012, 04:25:36 pm
This thread reminds me: Made some rootin tootin hollerin chipotle chilli burger sauce last night:

Soak a dried chipotle chilli until soft, pound in pestle and mortar add some Worcester Sauce, tomato sauce, grated parmesan, smoked paprika and cumin, pound some more. Add Soured cream, mix, slap on burger, enjoy!

:popcorn:

fried

• forum hero
#240 Re: Some like it hot
June 14, 2012, 04:46:45 pm
Made some brutal Laap last week. Can't remember the quantities But :- Minced pork (could use anything), shallots. Cook till just cooked with some chilli powder (I used about a tbsp). Add  spring onions, lime juice, fresh coriander and mint and fresh chillis to taste. dash of fish sauce and a teaspoon of toasted rice powder. Bit of sugar if it's too tart. Eat at room temperature with some sticky rice.

Delicious.

I used 6 small red chillis for 2 people and it was a bit much I really should deseed them 'cos I had a fairly unpleasant night if you know what I mean.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#241 Re: Some like it hot
June 18, 2012, 11:27:59 pm
Does anyone have any opinions on whether I'd have more luck growing from seed or starter plants?
Also, I'm looking for something with a decent yield of fruit and medium heat, any ideas?

i've done both with reasonable success. The South Devon Chilli farm has a great selection, and loads of info etc on varieties.
Apache Hots seemed very resilient, probably the perky side of medium, but a very nice flavour.  I'm not a great fan of the searing intensity that (particularly shop bought for some reason) scotch bonnets have, but these were lovely.
 Good old Jalapeno and Serranos are good too, though perhaps need a little more TLC than the A-hot.

Paul B

• forum hero
#242 Re: Some like it hot
June 19, 2012, 12:06:00 am
I ended up with 3 seedlings from Tesco's (shudder) in  the end:

Cheyenne
Apache
Scotch Bonnet

Two out of three have just started flowering but the last one hasn't yet.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#243 Re: Some like it hot
June 19, 2012, 09:58:34 am
nice one, hope they do well!

Here is the link if you want anything more unusual:
http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/shop/customer-products/chilli-seeds-with-heat-.html

their growing tips are pretty good in my experience too. especially that plants are more prolific if you pick the fruit regularly.

Any one any experience growing hungarian wax chillis? barely hot at all, but a great flavour.

mark s

• junky
#244 Re: Some like it hot
July 17, 2012, 07:54:58 pm
i gave my 16 month old a spicy tomatoe bhaji the other day.not sure if she was keen at first.opening mouth and sticking hand in to route it out,she ate another though so couldnt have been that bad.

Paul B

• forum hero
#245 Re: Some like it hot
July 18, 2012, 01:01:27 am
nice one, hope they do well!

I guess they're doing quite well, all 3 are big (I've had to move them as they're blocking all light from the window) and all 3 are flowering. Not a single chili though!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#246 Re: Some like it hot
July 18, 2012, 07:06:21 am
Encourage fruiting by artificially pollinating them.

Paul B

• forum hero
#247 Re: Some like it hot
August 12, 2012, 01:03:19 pm
Encourage fruiting by artificially pollinating them.

This worked and I've currently got a tonne of (green) fruit. Unfortunately I now also have a tonne of green fly, I've tried spraying and watering the plants with a dilute mix of washing up liquid for about a week now but it doesn't seem to be having any effect, time for something stronger perhaps?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#248 Re: Some like it hot
August 12, 2012, 01:09:38 pm
You can buy ladybird larvae online which are supposed to work well. Not sure whether you'd just end up with a flat full of happy, fat ladybirds though.

Paul B

• forum hero
#249 Re: Some like it hot
August 12, 2012, 03:15:12 pm
You can buy ladybird larvae online which are supposed to work well. Not sure whether you'd just end up with a flat full of happy, fat ladybirds though.

that sounds amazing (if I had a greenhouse), I'm less sure it's a good idea in the flat. They'd likely all just leave through the nearest window.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal