• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Air pads
June 03, 2008, 03:31:16 pm
got some $$$ to put towards an airpad.
The main reason I want one is mainly so its easy to take on planes as its starting to get difficult to take a decent sized pad on these cheap flights.
Also as I'm not getting any younger, its got to be worth getting one if its going to help preserve my knee's and ankles for a while longer.

What is currently available, from where,at what price, who's got them and what are they like/worth getting?

Ta

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Air pads
June 03, 2008, 04:10:16 pm
I've only used one once but it didn't strike me as suitable for general use on its own. I think you definitely need to use it underneath a few normal pads, ideally some fairly soft ones.

The one I used was Farrar's, its one of the 8a.nu ones. Basically a double bed sized inflatable mattress. On the good side it packed up to a reasonable size and wasn't a big hassle to inflate, on the downside its fuckin unwieldy once blown up and rather hard. The smooth rubbery material and hardness means I think it would need quite a different landing technique to a normal pad if used alone.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#2 Re: Air pads
June 03, 2008, 04:28:54 pm
Farrar's pad came into its own when spread across a gnarly rocky gully, or non-landing, as it was also referred to.

I saw this in action on a little known problem at Gardoms, but in layman's terms, you could certainly make say Big Air or A Day Without Pay exceptionally safe with one of these bad boys.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#3 Re: Air pads
June 03, 2008, 04:31:56 pm
I am not a fan of the Ronin Air pads by Flashed. They are ok, but not worth the extra dosh. IMHO of course....

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#4 Re: Air pads
June 03, 2008, 05:46:58 pm
I am not a fan of the Ronin Air pads by Flashed. They are ok, but not worth the extra dosh. IMHO of course....

I've only used one once but it didn't strike me as suitable for general use on its own. I think you definitely need to use it underneath a few normal pads, ideally some fairly soft ones.

The one I used was Farrar's, its one of the 8a.nu ones. Basically a double bed sized inflatable mattress. On the good side it packed up to a reasonable size and wasn't a big hassle to inflate, on the downside its fuckin unwieldy once blown up and rather hard. The smooth rubbery material and hardness means I think it would need quite a different landing technique to a normal pad if used alone.

I am a total convert to the air pad called the Ronin by Flashed.

As it'll cost you about £300 here in the UK so why get one?!!!

Well,

Firstly you can use it on it's own. Very well indeed. It's the best pad i've ever used, by some margin. I use it all the time as my de facto pad.

If you use it under a foam pad you can go miles onto it.

On it's own I've fielded my son 30ft off the top of a VS on Stanage - twice! (the benefits of youth I admit), Not to be taken away off the big jug bit near the top? I jumped off (why I get to be the beta tester i"m really not sure)... no worries... and i have a very very long term spack foot - which is why i have a fascination on the subject....also:  crux of downhill racer? off the pocket on a bigger tail (repeatedly), big back slap off the sloper on T crack... you get the picture [ I fall a lot]

it's not bulkier than the old style flashed taco pads (which are bulkier than a normal taco)

It simply works better IMO, a lot better, Worth the cash better in fact... so yes, it is better than 2 *old*style foam pads.... in terms of shock absorbing. Big day falling off? do you get a stiff back? Mines much improved since bagging off foam pads..

How? well i've read the blurb on the flashed site...it's not clear why it works so well so I've been thinking and I've got a little hypothesis (i'm not an engineer..): when you walk on it / step on it / sit on it you think "there's no way that's better than a usual pad"... it's very soft, this no doubt assists your ankle not turning over due to more lateral support... but that's it...eh?

Wrong.

The more force you hit the pad with the more it seems to then be able to deploy all the air cells that lie in between the outer foam sandwiches. it feels really odd to sink in the same from 3 ft and 12... but that really seems to be the case. The 8a.nu pad does NOT work in the same cell way, I cant speak for it. I've never used it. It's cheaper though.

The Ronin weighs 16 odd pounds, that's heavier than a normal size Taco, but the carrying system is so much better you dont notice, honest.

The build quality is very good, now i've only had mine 6 months or so... but it's holding up well, the corners are very well finished and in no way does it seem tired.

I honestly believe that this sort of air cell technology is the new future in bouldering. I believe it to be a significant step in the equipment used in the sport. I am sure this, or something very similar will be commonplace in times soon to come.

I now admit that I'm likely to be involved in a commercial venture with regard to Flashed Ronins, but I've come to my conclusions before that oppertunity arose.I wouldnt go through the pain that is bringing some in if I didnt think they were any good, so wouldnt sell and i'd lose cash!.

If you have spacked feet, legs full of metal or offspring that launch themsleves to the floor with alarming abandon I'd suggest you consider the product!

account_inactive

• forum hero
#5 Re: Air pads
June 03, 2008, 06:51:39 pm
I've got one of the Mondo pads which is excellent but WAY too big to take on a plane.  It's made a huge difference to the number of bad falls I've had over the last year or so.  My legs and ankles contain a large amount of metal work and if I fall badly the metal reverberates and I can't walk. 

Fatdoc is right when he says that air cell technology is the future.  I think the 8a.nu pad would be great for certain problems but not great for circuits or any crag that has spread out problems.  Even the Mondo is a pain to get through trees and scrambles/brambles. 

The Ronin sounds like a better bet as a general pad IMHO and the 8a.nu as a "Jerry used a very large blue mat from the Foundry......" type

dave

#6 Re: Air pads
June 03, 2008, 10:22:27 pm
I'm still not sold on these as a general one-size-fits-all pad. For £300 you could get three Pod mats, be able to mat out any traverse you're doing, and still be able to comfortably fall off the jugs on NTBTA and the crux of downhill racer. And when you don't want to carry an 8kg mat, you could take just one. Airpads still strike me as a speciality item - yes they will get better, more available and cheaper, but I can't see them replacing standard foam pads entirely in the forseable future. for example if you're just going out for a burbage circuit after work you don't want to be tarting around inflating a lilo. I can't see everyone owning one in the same way everyone has a foam mat. they look good for specific projects though, and I suppose the filling doesn't wear out after a couple of years, (assuming the outer stays in airtight nick).

Maybe a good idea for a general purpose air-pad would be something along the lines of a very thick thermarest. I.e. a combination of foam and air. You wouldn't necessarily have to inflate it all yourself (in the same waya  thermarest self-inflates 80% of the way), you've still got some foam to stop you bottoming out and if you spring a leak its not just reduced to being an elaborate tarpaulin. could be thinner/smaller too? maybe seb was onto soemthing when he did paralogism. I'll be at the patent office first thing in the morning.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 10:38:09 pm by dave »

Dolly

• forum hero
#7 Re: Air pads
June 03, 2008, 11:08:43 pm
for example if you're just going out for a burbage circuit after work you don't want to be tarting around inflating a lilo.

I think thats a fair point, but most of here have at least 2/3 mats already I'd guess.
I have a ultra light Burbage only pad for eg - one of those small Moon ones.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Air pads
June 03, 2008, 11:45:52 pm
I've been using GA's Flashed Ronin pad recently, really works for me, especially the immediate resistance followed by a slow deflate; really cushions impact on knacked old bones.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#9 Re: Air pads
June 03, 2008, 11:53:38 pm
especially the immediate resistance followed by a slow deflate;

Enough of your sex life Joe, we're talking about pads here.

Andreas Bolderini also does an air pad now.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#10 Re: Air pads
June 04, 2008, 12:10:30 am
Obviously I failed to flash the spelling of his name. Here's a link instead:
http://www.andrea-boldrini.com/accessoires_escalade.html

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#11 Re: Air pads
June 04, 2008, 07:58:40 am
for example if you're just going out for a burbage circuit after work you don't want to be tarting around inflating a lilo.

I think thats a fair point, but most of here have at least 2/3 mats already I'd guess.
I have a ultra light Burbage only pad for eg - one of those small Moon ones.

but you dont inflate it...

you just use it as a normal pad.. it's not like a 8a.nu lilo thingie

I agree there is more bulk, horses for courses.. I bet sloper wished he had one when falling off the Curse!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#12 Re: Air pads
June 04, 2008, 08:02:47 am
I'm still not sold on these as a general one-size-fits-all pad. For £300 you could get three Pod mats, be able to mat out any traverse you're doing, and still be able to comfortably fall off the jugs on NTBTA and the crux of downhill racer. And when you don't want to carry an 8kg mat, you could take just one. Airpads still strike me as a speciality item - yes they will get better, more available and cheaper, but I can't see them replacing standard foam pads entirely in the forseable future. for example if you're just going out for a burbage circuit after work you don't want to be tarting around inflating a lilo. I can't see everyone owning one in the same way everyone has a foam mat. they look good for specific projects though, and I suppose the filling doesn't wear out after a couple of years, (assuming the outer stays in airtight nick).

Maybe a good idea for a general purpose air-pad would be something along the lines of a very thick thermarest. I.e. a combination of foam and air. You wouldn't necessarily have to inflate it all yourself (in the same waya  thermarest self-inflates 80% of the way), you've still got some foam to stop you bottoming out and if you spring a leak its not just reduced to being an elaborate tarpaulin. could be thinner/smaller too? maybe seb was onto soemthing when he did paralogism. I'll be at the patent office first thing in the morning.

that IS a Ronin, except the air cells are not congruent, leakage is not an issue.

You need a look at one to appreciate I'm not hauling some Li lo thing around burbage on a weekly basis.

Tis the future....

BTW, Flashed do smaller air pads as well  :whistle:

inn wislon

• regular
    • I'll get you, Butler!
#13 Re: Air pads
March 09, 2009, 08:32:03 am
I met a american guy in the woods at sabot the other day, who had a ronin with him and being the gear pervert that I am, I asked if I could have a go. 

So, after a bit of light hearted froliking, he told me it was 2 years old...it was f'kd...soggy and soft, I don't think I would have liked to have fallen off my chair onto it.....so possibly not such a long lasting mat, he said he never uses alone anymore, just underneath other mats.  Mind you it had obviously be used heavily, although not by him as I don't think I saw him fall off anything, in fact who was he?  trotting from 7 to 7 flashing away like a drunk glaswegian.....

a dense loner

• forum hero
#14 Re: Air pads
March 09, 2009, 11:17:46 am
he's called lee, like his mentor

Dolly

• forum hero
#15 Re: Air pads
March 09, 2009, 11:43:00 am
he told me it was 2 years old...it was f'kd...soggy and soft
I'm pretty sure that these were the first versions before the tech and build quality was improved. Graeme should be able to confirm that ?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: Air pads
March 09, 2009, 02:36:30 pm
My impressions of a new one were pretty much the same. I'm sure this is due to the principle and not it being fucked. Stand on it gently and the valves release air slowly, land on it hard and they release air at the same rate, ie it feels hard. I was impressed by the principle but it seemed a bit small, especially for the price, though in combo though with say a large pod or moon it would be better than perhaps 4 standard mats. I don't want to carry two pads though and it didn't look to be a great option on its own.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#17 Re: Air pads
March 09, 2009, 04:28:43 pm
When we get the Ronin back from UKC (they are reviewing it) we will have it at the Works to rent/loan out to people so you can all have a play.

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#18 Re: Air pads
March 09, 2009, 04:48:28 pm
I live in Ireland, and being a bit of a gear-geek, quite fancy getting my hands on one of these pads - any ideas where I could go for this in the UK and get it shipped over to the Emerald Isles??

:shrug:

Dolly

• forum hero
#19 Re: Air pads
March 09, 2009, 04:55:22 pm
You got PM Fatboy

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#20 Re: Air pads
March 09, 2009, 05:15:29 pm
Thanks Dolly, just dropped you a line back!

chillax

• forum abuser
#21 Re: Air pads
March 09, 2009, 05:58:16 pm
This does sound like an interesting bit of kit. For argument's sake, how much would one expect to outlay for such an item? Bearing in mind that I too live in the emerald isle.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#22 Re: Air pads
March 09, 2009, 06:01:54 pm
They sell for 295 GBP but that includes VAT, if you can find someone who is VAT registered to buy one then you don't pay the VAT as long as you send a copy of the VAT registration certificate. Unless you live in the North in which case you can't get out of the VAT.

Check http://roninuk.blogspot.com/

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#23 Re: Air pads
March 09, 2009, 06:07:22 pm
Ps delivery is extra, send me your address to graeme@climbingworks.com and I will check tomorrow what delivery costs. Will check if its cheaper to send 2 and maybe you and Fatboy can save a little bit of dosh

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#24 Re: Air pads
March 09, 2009, 06:07:55 pm
Ps delivery is extra, send me your address to graeme@climbingworks.com and I will check tomorrow what delivery costs. Will check if its cheaper to send 2 and maybe you and Fatboy can save a little bit of dosh

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal