UKBouldering.com

Help needed to beat the humdrum (Read 20632 times)

webbo

• forum hero
#50 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 08:26:59 am
as this has developed in to "i've had at least one dry day this decade" or "i drink more than you" or even "i prefer parrifin with a splash of lemon and marrinated over crack cocaine,this is because of my west riding roots".
i still belive this a branch of alcoholics anom.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#51 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 09:30:32 am
i still belive this a branch of alcoholics anomalous?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#52 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 09:50:32 am
It's about using your time properly not addiction, really.

But alcohol is the planets' drug of choice, and you can bet your ass that those that drink the most won't be posting here.  Hell, I only started being interested in booze after giving up tobacco/weed last year (never having the stomach for it before).

I considered starting a thread on consumption a while back but thought against it as you can't rely on people to be honest.  You can see how counter productive it could be for people to openly list what they get up to.  You can mention you had a line of coke at a party once and LO!   You're a coke-fiend.  Assumptions are shit and mud sticks.   :yawn:

webbo

• forum hero
#53 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 09:57:50 am
funny you should bring what peoples impressions will be following various postings.
i have this picture of you as having a personal crusade to futher the positive image of brits abroad.
i.e pissed, stoned,partying all night and generally raving about all and sundry.

keep up the good work. :great:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#54 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 10:07:24 am
Ah . . .    Those were the days Webbo . . .   *whistful*

Truth is I rarely go out; certainly never ever talk to Brits English I meet on the streets (fuckin' scum); don't smoke (anything) - in fact I'm fairly militant about it now; and probably go dancing once a season.  And a nice afternoon out usually involves a trip to the University Botanical Gardens.  Dude, I'm out of cardigans, post some over will you? 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#55 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 11:38:50 am
The low alcohol beers are better than no alcohol beers taste wise.

Cobra 0.0% is ace....  :beer1:
got some mates to taste test it against some regular Cobra - they couldn't tell much difference

gave up drinking about 4 years ago for a number of reasons but still enjoy a couple of cold ones in the evening without any the calorific or morning after side effects   :beer2:

Yo Dr T. Where do you get this shit? Most 0% stuff I've tried is muck.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#56 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 12:03:54 pm
What's the point of non-alcoholic lager .....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#57 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 12:07:39 pm

Dr T

• forum hero
#58 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 12:49:49 pm
The low alcohol beers are better than no alcohol beers taste wise.

Cobra 0.0% is ace....  :beer1:
got some mates to taste test it against some regular Cobra - they couldn't tell much difference

gave up drinking about 4 years ago for a number of reasons but still enjoy a couple of cold ones in the evening without any the calorific or morning after side effects   :beer2:

Yo Dr T. Where do you get this shit? Most 0% stuff I've tried is muck.

Sainsburys.........

don't bother with the non-alcoholic becks - it's bad, not as bad as kalibur but bad none the less....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:01:44 pm by Dr T, Reason: extra info... »

Three Nine

• forum hero
#59 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 01:02:46 pm
I dont understand this problem with alcohol?

I don't drink at all and haven't for years. Either you can just sack it if its causing you a problem, making you unhappy etc. (sounds like it is), or if you find that difficult then you've got an alcohol problem which you ought to treat very seriously and quit totally.

Ok so i've actually said you should quit or quit, but that's probably good advice.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#60 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 01:05:05 pm
as this has developed in to "i've had at least one dry day this decade" or "i drink more than you" or even "i prefer parrifin with a splash of lemon and marrinated over crack cocaine,this is because of my west riding roots".

your perception of this thread seems a little off the mark.

I sense vitriolic fervur to those trying to help this chap out of what a very common trap of a 1st world lifestyle.

This could of course be completely explained by  a  huge denial complex and a rip roaring functional alcoholic lifestyle that you secretly covet??

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#61 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 01:07:45 pm

I don't drink at all and haven't for years. Either you can just sack it if its causing you a problem, making you unhappy etc. (sounds like it is), or if you find that difficult then you've got an alcohol problem which you ought to treat very seriously and quit totally.

Ok so i've actually said you should quit or quit, but that's probably good advice.

Lagers' deal w/ this one would you, love?

webbo

• forum hero
#62 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 02:12:15 pm

your perception of this thread seems a little off the mark.

I sense vitriolic fervur to those trying to help this chap out of what a very common trap of a 1st world lifestyle.

This could of course be completely explained by  a  huge denial complex and a rip roaring functional alcoholic lifestyle that you secretly covet??

who me.i'll have you know i haven't had a drink for two whole days and iv'e not had a day without physical exercise since last friday or is it the other way round.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#63 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 02:12:30 pm

I don't drink at all and haven't for years.

Surely you can appreciate that others do though? I don't have a problem with hard drugs and haven't taken any for years, but I can appreciate that some people do have serious problems with them, and will do so for their entire lives. Booze is no different.

webbo

• forum hero
#64 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 02:37:21 pm
Ah . . .    Those were the days Webbo . . .   *whistful*

Truth is I rarely go out; certainly never ever talk to Brits English I meet on the streets (fuckin' scum); don't smoke (anything) - in fact I'm fairly militant about it now; and probably go dancing once a season.  And a nice afternoon out usually involves a trip to the University Botanical Gardens.  Dude, I'm out of cardigans, post some over will you? 

i'm afraid i've had to sell my cardies as i'm saving up for some new teeth.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#65 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 02:46:38 pm
Golt, my offerings for what they are worth.

The most important factor to climbing and my life is being around people with infectious personalities. I just cannot emphasise this enough. I love to be around hyperactive people. Thinking about it, I despise the fact that hyperactivity has negative connotations. How can being around someone with boundless energy and an insatiable thirst for knowledge be a bad thing?

I say this from my experience of teaching children to climb where I teach one child who has ADHD. Pretty much every instructor bar one has no time for this child and refers to him as a nuisance. He is far from a nuisance and will aspire to far greater things than any of those sedentary, miserable bastards ever will. His distractions and points of departure serve as my starting point and motivation to reconcile our personalities somewhere along the line. His youthful meanderings are just as important to my personal development as they are to his exploration and comprehension of his environment.

Secondly, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has mentioned sex within this thread yet? You hear about it all the time don't you; couple's have such busy lives that they no longer "have time for sex". Naturally, it's completely inappropriate for me to talk about your sex life, but I'll bet that six cans won't be helping it. I think you know where this suggestion is going, so I won't dwell on it any longer.

I'm in grave danger of writing even more drivel here, so to summarise my suggestion; Drink more good coffee, have more sex, run and befriend some hyperactive people. If you fail to find any of the aforementioned individuals, you are more than welcome to head down the M6 where you'll be greeted be 200 of us and have a spare room to stay.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#66 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 02:47:16 pm
Naturally, it's completely inappropriate for me to talk about your sex life...

I don't know why.  Yours is the talk of the King's Road.

Man, I could use a beer.   :alky:

webbo

• forum hero
#67 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 03:02:15 pm
nip over to mine iv'e a crate of guiness in the garage and i could yet again fail to break the 3 day barrier.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#68 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 03:11:28 pm
I'll be fine, I'm in luck:  tonite the "girls" decend like shit-flies on the flat to watch Germany's Next Top Model Show (w/ Heidi Klum) and they bring loads of wine.

They're dead fussy too:  if they don't like a wine, they leave it and open a different one . . .    :whistle:

T-minus 3 hours and counting . . .    Obviously there will be extended fascism and alcophobia over the weekend period along the lines of:  Well, you had wine on model nacht etc.. etc..

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#69 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 03:15:06 pm
you are more than welcome to head down the M6 where you'll be greeted be 200 of us and have a spare room to stay.

Aye' they certainly look wired on something....

The Scouse Massif

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#70 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 08:29:08 pm
Man, Ich Liebe Model Nacht sehr so sehr  :alky:

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#71 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 09:49:57 pm
Reading all these posts has made me need a beer. Only joking.

I'm gonna give the 3 day thing a could attempt, starting tonight. My Mrs is enjoying some cool Bulmers but I am going to give it a miss.

Houd's kinda hit the nail on the head. I've got stuff I need to sort out which will take time, but I am confident it can be done.

There has been many a kind response from lots of people and some very helpful advice, to many to repond to as Lagers stated  ;) but cheers once again.

For some reason I didn't mention in my original post/moan/cry for help how much I detest my job, and this is the other major contributing factor to my current miserable exisitence. I am desperatly looking for something new but not wanting to get out of bed to go to work makes every day a monumental challenge, and those late night beers even more appealing. I am confident I can find something new soon, and I'm sure it will help my mental state when I do.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#72 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 09:55:00 pm
Whatever you decide, if you be light, fast, strong and free - you be winning.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#73 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 29, 2008, 10:18:25 pm

Lagers' deal w/ this one would you, love?

What $0.39 means is that you should quit problem drinking rather than drinking per se(ph?). For many this will mean not drinking at all as one drink leads to either a massive and damaging  session every time or an on going habit that saps your energy etc. For others this will only mean drinking what you can afford. For others it will mean not drinking so much that you get into a fight. Problem drinking is an individual thing and not the only thing to consider. As Webbo said - work out what the problem is and sort that out - it might be booze, relationships, work, past trauma, loads of stuff.

Was this the type of answer you required, Houdi, or did you want a more flippant answer, honey?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#74 Re: Help needed to beat the humdrum
May 30, 2008, 08:43:51 am
For some reason I didn't mention in my original post/moan/cry for help how much I detest my job, and this is the other major contributing factor to my current miserable exisitence.

I think it's more than a major factor, I suspect it is the critical factor. nothing can depress you more than being forced into doing something for a living you don't like doing. I should know, I did it for 3 years, and stuck with the job for the "trimmings", convincing myself it would get better.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal