UKBouldering.com

Best bouldering in europe apart from font... (Read 10142 times)

Scrimps

• regular
Best bouldering in europe apart from font...
February 16, 2009, 02:37:02 pm
Looking for knowledge here....Been to Albarracin and no likey, been to Targasonne nice but but stayed there for too long, been to Escorial/Navalosa etc (fantastic), where else in Europe is great for bouldering? Thinking of Annot, any views? Germany? Personally i prefer sandstone to Granite (my fingers fall apart too quicky).

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Yorkshire?

dave

there's some sandstone in south of france, annot, i've not been, supposed to be ok. i thought albarracin was great. if you want sandstone not granite then you're going to be limited. there's also meschia in italy (banned), the sandstone in germany/czech, torridon etc.

RASTATA

• addict
Ticino region, Swizzyland. Cresciano, Chironico, Brione, Magic Wood. All word class granit.

Scrimps

• regular
Yorkshire?

I knew there'd be a joker in the pack....

Scrimps

• regular
i thought albarracin was great

I think i wasn't in the right frame of mind and it was effing cold at the time. I'd just got there from a pleasantly mild Targasonne in November 06 armed with shorts and flip flops....Think it was -12c at night.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I wasn't joking, I reckon Yorkshire has enough quality problems at most grades to compete with most places in Europe, especially when combined with the Peak.

If only it had the weather.

Scrimps

• regular
If only it had the weather

I agree with you, bouldering up there is bloody good, my favourite place being the bridestones, but man, I'm talking a holiday here and i don't want to be wearing my goretex all week.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Pound is weak against the Euro.
How about Hueco, RMNP etc?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Pound is weak against the Euro.
How about Hueco, RMNP etc?

It aint bearing up too well against dollar either.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
I reckon Annot.  Spoke to Uncle Toni about this last week - very nice is the deal.  Have you been to any of this sandstone in Germany yet - check out the Plafz guide book - it looks brilliant.

Scrimps

• regular
check out the Plafz guide book

Nice one geez. I have a friend who lives just over the border from luxembourg (near Berdorff), is this the plafz area do you know?

Scrimps

• regular
http://www.archive.org/details/pfalz_web

Just had a look - looks interesting

north_country_boy

• junky
I reckon Annot.  Spoke to Uncle Toni about this last week - very nice is the deal.  Have you been to any of this sandstone in Germany yet - check out the Plafz guide book - it looks brilliant.

Friend of mine went 18months ago, and yes it looks good, but in reality it doesn;t get much traffic and the problems are very hard to find......definately worth getting some local knowledge..... :-\

Averageman

• menacing presence
  • pushing hard and getting nowhere fast.
http://www.abloc.org/
Try this for annot.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:20:59 pm by Averageman »

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
the higher sector in meschia is absolutely open, and close to measchia there's interprete, which has alot more boulders. obviously sandstone.

mbleazard

having been to annot, I would def recommend it.

problems can be hard to find but if you do your research, with someone who speaks very good french, on abloc then you should be fine.

I abused my works printer and printed every topo I could find which made things easier.

Also if you stay up in the campsite, which is uber cheap, it accomodates all the strong frenchies who themselves are very happy to share beta or tips around the campfire at night.

One recomendation though if you do choose annot is prepare for the roads, all the areas are up the hillsides, as is the campsite thankfully, but the roads are all littered with big sandstone chunks which make driving a nightmare!

if you fancy annot gie us a pm and I can bestow all me knowledge!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal