UKBouldering.com

Font - Name that problem (Read 5368 times)

Fj

• menacing presence
Font - Name that problem
March 22, 2008, 06:55:41 pm
After a rainy morning walking around Isatis and having stick fights, this afternoon dried out nicely and we headed off to Apremont.
As the road to the bottom parking is closed off, we parked in the top car park and walked down.
As we walked back up Route des Gorges d'Apremont we spotted this problem off to the right (towards the road), but I cant find it in the old 7s+8s or the purple guide.

Anyone tried it before, or know what it is?
cheers

Stef

• player
#1 Re: Font - Name that problem
March 23, 2008, 12:11:59 pm
It must be then that it is not above the 7th grade. It is well known that this dutch topo doesn't really cover everything. But does one can in such a big area ?
however, the new "off piste" guide book could certainly help you out more precisely.

Fj

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Font - Name that problem
March 28, 2008, 10:04:27 am
found it.
for those who are interested
http://bleau.info/apremontsully/2196.html

petje

• regular
#3 Re: Font - Name that problem
May 20, 2008, 01:29:31 pm
It must be then that it is not above the 7th grade. It is well known that this dutch topo doesn't really cover everything. But does one can in such a big area ?
however, the new "off piste" guide book could certainly help you out more precisely.

believe me, bart has every boulder from 7a of, in the guide and was accurate and complete on the moment of printing.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#4 Re: Font - Name that problem
May 20, 2008, 02:00:50 pm

believe me, bart has every boulder from 7a of, in the guide and was accurate and complete on the moment of printing.

wrong, bart does not have every 7th grade problem in the book, there are loads left out see bleau has a recorded 2368 straight-ups.  now how many are in the guide?  1789. mmmmmmmmmmm makes it roughly around 600 missing. and why? work it out, do some research on 1789 and france

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Font - Name that problem
May 20, 2008, 02:35:15 pm
wrong, bart does not have every 7th grade problem in the book, there are loads left out see bleau has a recorded 2368 straight-ups.  now how many are in the guide?  1789. mmmmmmmmmmm makes it roughly around 600 missing. and why? work it out, do some research on 1789 and france

According to wikipedia on the 5th May 1789 there was a formal meeting of the Estates-General which was the precursor to the French Revolution and the storming of the Bastille later that year on the 14th July 1789. (more here).

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#6 Re: Font - Name that problem
May 20, 2008, 02:49:34 pm
Ah! 

One of my Gallic mason associates informed me earlier that 1789 is infact the number of rabid Frenchmen that patrol the forest daily w/ a view to shouting incomprehensive sasquatch at visitting foreigners regards respecting the rock, using more pof, the tyranny of chalk and doing a poo in the sand at Cul du Chien.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#7 Re: Font - Name that problem
May 20, 2008, 02:51:50 pm
I thought in that interview that I can't be arsed to look for Bart said that he had something like 1792 but then downgraded a couple of borderline 7A/6C+s to get the magic 1789? Missing out about 600 just to get to a historically important date would seem a bit extreme!  :-\

Duma

• forum hero
#8 Re: Font - Name that problem
May 20, 2008, 05:45:38 pm
I suspect there's a lot of eliminates on bleau.info, you often see "without big crimps" or "without ledge on left" etc. Isn't the tagline 1789 non-elimnate straight ups? Think petje is still making a pretty bold statement though...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 Re: Font - Name that problem
May 20, 2008, 06:15:43 pm
what was supposed to be printed was:

1789 non-eliminate straight ups eliminates

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#10 Re: Font - Name that problem
May 20, 2008, 07:13:15 pm
I suspect there's a lot of eliminates on bleau.info, you often see "without big crimps" or "without ledge on left" etc. Isn't the tagline 1789 non-elimnate straight ups? Think petje is still making a pretty bold statement though...

matbe what about the 3283 variants acording to bleau on top of the stated amounts, nd if you read the book properly, like i am every day lot of the problems are eliminates, I did a couple today at potala, 1st was without big undercut left nd the second route was direct between cracks without using the ledge left?????????????

Explain that one

Duma

• forum hero
#11 Re: Font - Name that problem
May 20, 2008, 07:40:45 pm
Neal, sorry for the  :off:, but where are you getting your bleau.info numbers (ie x 7a and up, y variations) I'd really like a feature that allowed you to filter by a particular grade, instead of only being able to sort by area.

Duma

• forum hero
#12 Re: Font - Name that problem
May 20, 2008, 07:42:33 pm
Ignore me - just found the site stats box. Still want the grade sort feature though.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#13 Re: Font - Name that problem
May 20, 2008, 08:47:56 pm
Ignore me - just found the site stats box. Still want the grade sort feature though.

i am actaully working on a database for font, i have documented every route above 7 and catagarised it by dyno slab wal etc etc, so you just click 7a dynos and it will show you all, it may be some months before seing it

Is that the type of thing you are after, I personaly would love to see something like that featured in the site

Duma

• forum hero
#14 Re: Font - Name that problem
May 20, 2008, 09:41:34 pm
exactly! good effort neal, can't wait!  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal