technical > POI files

for people who arnt good with their satnav!

(1/4) > >>

philo:
apart from telling people to google things,
can we have small explinations on how to do things, basic things.

when i downloaded the POI's and put them on my satnav i was unsure which folder each part of the file went into.
i know there is a brief explanation in the POI FAQ but its still a little vague for useless people like me

slackline:
Well, the problem is that different SatNavs from different manufacturers differ in where they store and organise things.  You've not told us what make/model you have, so its a little tricky to give advice on where you stick the files.  We'd need someone with one of every possible one on the market to check out where things go to write a comprehensive HowTo.

Some advice though....

Connect your SatNav to the computer, then have a browse round the directories that exist and find where the existing POI's and files (which will carry the same file extensions as Jim's bouldering POI's) are currently located.  Stick the bouldering POI's in there.

Note also that its highly unlikely to actually damage the SatNav by placing them in the wrong place, all you'll find is that you can't use the POI's if you put them in the wrong place.  Don't be afraid to play around and experiment.

If in doubt  :rtfm: for the SatNav you have, it will (well it should) tell you where to place them.  If it doesn't see if you can find a forum for the SatNav you have and ask (whilst specifying the make and model of your SatNav, naturally) where they should be placed (or provide the same information here).

slack

Jim:
Having breifly re-read the faq's, they are as simple as they can be TBH. They could probably do with updating (ie map versions).
If you want specific help then I am more than happy to give it to you (or anyone else) but you will have to post up with what type of sat nav system you are using

neil h:
Jim i did end up getting the new nokia N95. Is it possible to stick tomtom on it and ditch the shit it has pre installed, i need to know before i mess around with it

Bubba:
Neil, i've tried both Garmin Mobile XT and Tomtom Navigator 6 on my N95. I wouldn't bother with Nokia maps at all.

Tomtom needs some workarounds in order to get it to use the N95s internal gps, whereas Garmin works out of the box. Apparantly the next version of Tomtom should fix this problem.

I think i'm leaning towards Tomtom over Garmin as the interface is nicer, and route calculation is faster, though Garmin does some advantages of it's own.

If you want to evaluate before you buy, or just be a dirty feef, both are available for free online.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version