UKBouldering.com

calling of the lime (Read 165300 times)

dave

#50 Re: calling of the lime
March 20, 2009, 02:19:02 pm
I think now would be a recklessly early call. there's no sense in calling it when people who can finish work as early as 4 still don't have anough time to get to the tor and get a session in by daylight. won't somebody please think of the children.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#51 Re: calling of the lime
March 20, 2009, 02:27:03 pm
It's them I'm appealing on behalf of.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#52 Re: calling of the lime
March 20, 2009, 02:41:40 pm
I'm not convinced it should really be called yet either, the tor is still wet and powerband impossible (apparently). As you know, when harris retro flashes staminaband, the lime is officially called. And its wet, so thats not yet.

What we are experiencing Jas, is the devotees pre season friendly. To be honest, I think we should keep it to ourselves. There will come a time this summer when you and I are sat beneath kudos wall wishing we'd shut the fuck up about the lime because we will be vying with 16 yr olds with sweaty hands leaving black paw prints on our holds.

And, its only March, it seems to go sunny for a few weeks now and then rain all april. Perhaps the arrival of Harris junior (can it be called anything other than Ben?) will signal open season? and a new standard in crimping? (one can only hope so)

etjoset

• addict
  • Twiddle that knob
#53 Re: calling of the lime
March 20, 2009, 02:43:19 pm
Longer term forecast is for northerly winds to bring colder conditions back for the start of next week. Winter's last gasp and a last chance for those grit projects?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#54 Re: calling of the lime
March 20, 2009, 03:20:42 pm
Only a fool would call the lime before the equinox. But then with peak lime we're dealing with fools, lets face it. Rest assured I'm waiting to pour scorn on any call which proves to be premature.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#55 Re: calling of the lime
March 20, 2009, 03:24:41 pm
Loth, the conditions druid hath speaketh

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#56 Re: calling of the lime
March 20, 2009, 03:40:25 pm
Loth, the conditionth druidth hath speaketh

You can't just add "th" to the end of all your words and hope to get away with it. You aren't in Spain now.

dave

#57 Re: calling of the lime
March 20, 2009, 03:47:11 pm

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#58 Re: calling of the lime
March 20, 2009, 03:53:11 pm
If only Marcos knew how to use a computer - he'd show all y'all punks.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#59 Re: calling of the lime
March 21, 2009, 12:30:32 am
If only Marcoth knew how to useth a computer - he'd show all y'all punkth.

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#60 Re: calling of the lime
March 21, 2009, 02:17:00 pm
hold your horses youths (and not so). good things come to those who wait.

Roy and I have just spent a baltic morning at Burbage south clothed in thermals & winter gear. It was minty and some good stuff went down.

I may venture forth to the tor on monday .....

and who says i can't do staminaband in the wet  ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#62 Re: calling of the lime
April 15, 2009, 02:33:16 pm
 :o

Should have given some advice on how much Johnny Brown's well-meaning meddling should be heeded...

I think as the climate gets more fucked up and the seasons more interchangable, the calling of the lime becomes harder and harder. I hope dob is up to the task.

dave

#63 Re: calling of the lime
April 15, 2009, 02:42:21 pm
I wonder if there will be an elaborate handover ceremony with complicated protocol (the toothbrush and bartowel much be passed from the left hand of the outgoing imcumbent over the right shoulder....), or if mr harris will regenerate into dobbin like doctor who, complete with sound effects of quickdraws being rubbed up and down a harp supplied by the BBC radiophonic workshop.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#64 Re: calling of the lime
April 15, 2009, 03:04:56 pm
Doesn't Dobbin/Harris incarnate now have to bury Johnny Brown in a bark and moss casket underneath the Buckstone until October ?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#65 Re: calling of the lime
April 15, 2009, 03:13:49 pm
Dobbin/Harris incarnate

Would this be like a crab/donkey hybrid? A donkey that walks sideways? Or just a really basic crab?

:-\

dave

#66 Re: calling of the lime
April 15, 2009, 03:16:52 pm
Doesn't Dobbin/Harris incarnate now have to bury Johnny Brown in a bark and moss casket underneath the Buckstone until October ?

nah he just gets stuck in the airing cupboard in a carboard box full of shredded newspaper like the blue peter tortoise.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#67 Re: calling of the lime
April 16, 2009, 09:51:00 pm
I wonder if there will be an elaborate handover ceremony with complicated protocol (the toothbrush and bartowel much be passed from the left hand of the outgoing imcumbent over the right shoulder....), or if mr harris will regenerate into dobbin like doctor who, complete with sound effects of quickdraws being rubbed up and down a harp supplied by the BBC radiophonic workshop.

Remember, this is only a temporary handing over (to my knowledge - maybe I will do so well he wont want it back) (or maybe for another reason - more on that in a moment) so the usual passing of the lime callers robes ceremony has been officially veteod by the lime council (Zippy and Sharples). I have been the recipient of a proud honour, the weight of which I now bear on my shoulders. Its heavy, but I am proud to be burdened with such an important task, and rest assured, I am duly humbled at the magnitude of the task which stands before me. But with the knowledge passed from Andy I shall do my best (goddammit).

Dave Cheekbones Mason (breaker of a thousand hearts) and I inspected the tor just yesterday. It wasnt far off, but I have been warned against making any false call. Whilst its nearly there, it still holds out for now, and with this most recent rain, perhaps it will get worse before it gets better. Rest assured Tor Fans, I shall not shirk in my duties. The call will come in due time...

Or will it.... I am delighted to report that Crabmaster Harris, master of the minging crimp and purveyor of the most dubious of musical delights is the proud father of a baby daughter, as at early o clock this morning. Shiv and baby Harris are fine, 2.5kg apparently (whats that in pounds?). Anyway, particularly well done to Shiv, but also to the Haggis and welcome to the baby. But perhaps this means calling duties have been passed over prematurely? One certainly hopes not. I do feel something of a charlatan making the call - I have nothing of the pedigree of the Harris, but am honoured to have been so recognised. Only time and seepage will tell.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#68 Re: calling of the lime
April 16, 2009, 10:35:21 pm
It's quite simple Dob: just retroflash Staminaband and Rooster Booster in a sesh, then we're all go. I await your anouncement eagerly.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#69 Re: calling of the lime
April 16, 2009, 11:33:17 pm
I dragged my sorry carcass across lime today - Dylan put the idea in my head really, but Mr Twotone collaborated.
I enjoyed it.
I find myself strangely motivated for more.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:49:29 pm by lagerstarfish »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#70 Re: calling of the lime
April 17, 2009, 08:06:25 am
I have been the recipient of a proud honour, the weight of which I now bear on my shoulders. Its heavy, but I am proud to be burdened with such an important task, and rest assured, I am duly humbled at the magnitude of the task which stands before me.

Is this like being a bearer of The Ring? It changes you - do not become Gollum, use the pwer with wisdom.

Congratualtions to Mr Harris. Maybe a true heir of the calling has been born.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#71 Re: calling of the lime
April 17, 2009, 08:59:41 am
I dragged my sorry carcass across lime today - Dylan put the idea in my head really, but Mr Twotone collaborated.
I enjoyed it.

YYFY! *faints*

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#72 Re: calling of the lime
April 17, 2009, 09:05:58 am
I sincerely hope it was Stoney, Staden, or Chee Tor..............

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#73 Re: calling of the lime
April 17, 2009, 09:09:26 am
Lagers text me yesterday to see if I could accompany him................TO RUBICON!! Unfortunately I couldn't but I fully expected him to have hated it and sworn never to touch the lime again. The scales have been removed from his eyes! Let lime joy be universally embraced and JB placed in his tortoise box.

;D

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#74 Re: calling of the lime
April 17, 2009, 09:11:40 am
I enjoyed it.

and this morning I remain uninjured (physically)  :thumbsup:

I should also add that Mrs Starfish allowed my crash pads in the house last night - which is proof of how reasonable the mud conditions were.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal