UKBouldering.com

calling of the lime (Read 165395 times)

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
calling of the lime
May 17, 2008, 12:11:51 pm
It's that time of year ladies and gents.

I'm calling the lime  :dance1: :dance1:

but...., I'm going to make a retrospective call back to last Wednesday. I should have seen it at the time but my mind was clouded. Whilst Staminband went down 1st go of the season there was no one to belay me on Rooster Booster and therefore the incomplete customary sends were clouding the cosmic waves. Apologies for this.

enoy it whilst it lasts and here's to months of cool breezy weather and PB's  :beer2:

ps. I'm sat here at the mac scanning in photos of old for our wedding next week, doing the washing and about to walk the dog, looking out at perfect breezy weather!

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: calling of the lime
May 17, 2008, 12:31:03 pm
 ;D  :dance1:

Getting a car on monday, weather's good, no more exams, limestone's been called... To quote a certain psyched italian - YES YES FUCKING YES

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2 Re: calling of the lime
May 17, 2008, 02:17:01 pm
but...., I'm going to make a retrospective call back to last Wednesday.

One would bloody well hope so too. It's obviously a black art and all but even last Wednesday would seem a bit on the late side.

Well, I'm off to the mountain trad then.... :whistle:

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#3 Re: calling of the lime
May 17, 2008, 03:20:59 pm
we need to all chip in and buy the lad a massive brass horn like gimli blows in lord of the rings for the calling in of the lime

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#4 Re: calling of the lime
May 17, 2008, 08:14:14 pm

Well, I'm off to the mountain trad then.... :whistle:

I might try and get excited about limestone this year but it will be the finest polished trad limestone the Peak can offer if it happens.

bluebrad

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Re: calling of the lime
May 17, 2008, 08:27:18 pm
massive brass horn like gimli blows in lord of the rings for the calling in of the lime

So gimli is the caller of the lime on middle earth then? i can see the resemblance...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#6 Re: calling of the lime
May 18, 2008, 06:18:10 pm
ah....

at last, tis the time for minus 10.....
 :dance1:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7 Re: calling of the lime
May 18, 2008, 08:30:58 pm
we need to all chip in and buy the lad a massive brass horn like gimli blows in lord of the rings for the calling in of the lime

Unnecessary fella... those who this applies to can feel when the lime's been called.... whether they really want to or not.  This sadly even applies to punters like myself: I was in the Lakes this weekend and, rather than save all my grunt for the mighty Bowderstone, felt a perverse urge to visit Woodwell and Trowbarrow (Red Wall - it's like Minus10... with passing motocross bikers).

mark

• forum abuser
#8 Re: calling of the lime
May 18, 2008, 08:37:39 pm

I'm off work the first half of next week and with my mind full of thoughts of Harris's dwarf horn I'm keen to get out on the lime. Anyone fancy a day down Chee Dale on Monday or Wednesday?

north_country_boy

• junky
#9 Re: calling of the lime
May 18, 2008, 09:01:58 pm
Maybe keen for Cheedale weds, two tier ideally,  i'll try post here on tues if so or pm you....

mark

• forum abuser
#10 Re: calling of the lime
May 18, 2008, 10:19:54 pm
Maybe keen for Cheedale weds, two tier ideally,  i'll try post here on tues if so or pm you....

Excellent. Two Tier's good for me.

No one for tomorrow? I'll check tomorrow morning in case anyone's free before I start working the phones.

dave

#11 Re: calling of the lime
May 18, 2008, 10:52:40 pm
fucking hell you leave the country for a weekend and the lime gets called. good effort Randy Harrington.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: calling of the lime
May 19, 2008, 08:26:33 am
Unnecessary fella... those who this applies to can feel when the lime's been called.... whether they really want to or not.  This sadly even applies to punters like myself: I was in the Lakes this weekend and, rather than save all my grunt for the mighty Bowderstone, felt a perverse urge to visit Woodwell and Trowbarrow (Red Wall - it's like Minus10... with passing motocross bikers).

You reckon climbers across the country feel it? Depending on your commitment to the way of the lime, some stop what they are doing and let out an almighty howl, others feel less. I must admight I felt a slight twitch and a shiver up the spine as the cosmiverse realigned slightly, even though i was halfway up a mountain route in the middle of nowhere (well the Aardverikie Estate anyway).

Good luck with the wedding Mr Harris.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#13 Re: calling of the lime
May 19, 2008, 08:33:59 am
 ;D

Hurrah. Must admit I feel slightly guilty that the customary routes were not possible as I told Mr Haggis I'd binned my old harness (and wanted to go to Rubicon) so was unavailable to belay on the retrospectively called Wednesday. If I'd realised the significance then I would have changed my plans, purchased a harness, DONE ANYTHING POSSIBLE to ensure the correct calling of the lime!  ;)

Ah well. Here's to a top lime season.  :beer1:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#14 Re: calling of the lime
May 19, 2008, 11:44:32 am
You reckon climbers across the country feel it? Depending on your commitment to the way of the lime, some stop what they are doing and let out an almighty howl, others feel less. I must admight I felt a slight twitch and a shiver up the spine as the cosmiverse realigned slightly, even though i was halfway up a mountain route in the middle of nowhere (well the Aardverikie Estate anyway).

I felt it as a sick, sick, sinking feeling.  My stomach plummeted like a sabotaged elevator.  The Bowderstone itself seemed to give a convulsive shrug, as though the very fabric of the Universe had rejected me.  I departed chastenned, like an unplugged electrical appliance, barely reaching my car before all power faded. The sun still shone, the birds still sang, but the world was a different, less friendly place. A glass ceiling had been placed on my ambitions: a barrier to fulfillment only perceptable to those who dare to strive. 

The "calling" is a misnomer.... it is not the lime that sings a siren song.  The lime remains silent, indifferent whilst all other rock types scream in their sunbaked agony... geology itself mournes the summer! 

Still, not all bad: Shallow Grave was a cracking problem.  God I love vertical crimping. 

So, here's to a season of trad pitches that go on forever with sustained moves from base to belay.  The joy of placing as many nuts as you can carry with the self-satisfied ethical glow of having placed no cams.  Getting pumped as you realise that threads are invariably far more trouble than they're worth.  Exhausted internal debates about the strength of bent, rusted pitons: the triumph of hope over metallurgy ("well, they'll slow me down, and that looks like a jug up there").  Shame-faced conversations about the effect of vegetation on technical grades.  The occassional hold falling off to keep your belayer awake ("what do you mean you forgot your helmet....!?").

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#15 Re: calling of the lime
May 19, 2008, 12:14:19 pm
What was I doing spending all weekend at Cratcliffe and Earl for then?
I've obviously got Grit Lag.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: calling of the lime
May 19, 2008, 12:45:30 pm
Still no midges and reasonable temps on the grit, the Vanwad had another go at Brad Pit last night. Two single attempts seperated by six years, both times topping out. Not a bad record.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#17 Re: calling of the lime
May 21, 2008, 09:50:35 am
What was I doing spending all weekend at Cratcliffe and Earl for then?
I've obviously got Grit Lag.
Serps in your case the call was suppressed by a flood of minx induced hormones. You know how these affect you (sweaty palms, thin skin and a sudden desire to go bouldering despite strong protestations to the contrary).

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#18 Re: calling of the lime
March 13, 2009, 07:44:27 am
May last year, double figure temps in March this year - lots of people making an early start to the season and I'm already hearing people talking about the lime. Rubicon is dry, the Tor mostly so - could this be it? Limestone open season already?

Its not my job to say so. That responsibility falls to the Harris, and he's pregnant - which I hope will not distract him from his duties.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#19 Re: calling of the lime
March 13, 2009, 07:53:07 am
 ;D

Is the place that must not be mentioned dry? Exploratory training starts again today to see how my injured finger holds up..........

benpritch

• forum abuser
#20 Re: calling of the lime
March 13, 2009, 08:40:11 am
went to a place that cannot be mentioned yesterday and i'd say it would be climbable today. just condensation on certain parts barely any seepage.

dave

#21 Re: calling of the lime
March 13, 2009, 08:55:21 am
May last year, double figure temps in March this year - lots of people making an early start to the season and I'm already hearing people talking about the lime. Rubicon is dry, the Tor mostly so - could this be it? Limestone open season already?

Its not my job to say so. That responsibility falls to the Harris, and he's pregnant - which I hope will not distract him from his duties.

this is just the early bird pre-season warmup, a bit like when shops open an hour early for browsing time but the tills aren't actually on while 10am.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#22 Re: calling of the lime
March 13, 2009, 09:00:07 am
I've never understood that "wandering about looking at shit when the tills aren't open" thing. Why the fuck would you want to spend longer in Meadowhell or suchlike than you have to? Get in, buy stuff, get the fuck out, go to the pub.

Nice one Ben.

Eddies

• forum hero
#23 Re: calling of the lime
March 13, 2009, 12:49:35 pm
Its a woman thing... Same rule applies to climbing, all the real men are still on the grit!

Doylo

• forum hero
#24 Re: calling of the lime
March 13, 2009, 12:55:44 pm
The limestone season never ends in Wales, although we don't have any grit (really gutted about that BTW).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal