Good call as always  :2thumbsup:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#451 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 08:01:52 am
Hadyn you're a shambles. End of the mini-ice-age?? Do you even check forecasts, I know they're not as reliable as reading sheep entrails or spotting a crow-headed quail, but come on. Forecast for Calver area is snow this weekend and plenry of sub-zero temps. This call is so premature it needs to be put on a ventilator - which JB will mercifully turn off.

tomtom

• forum hero
#452 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 08:10:00 am
Hadyn you're a shambles. End of the mini-ice-age?? Do you even check forecasts, I know they're not as reliable as reading sheep entrails or spotting a crow-headed quail, but come on. Forecast for Calver area is snow this weekend and plenry of sub-zero temps. This call is so premature it needs to be put on a ventilator - which JB will mercifully turn off.

A decent call. May be a day or two left in the brown rocks yet - but there’s an old Russian saying ‘better to make the wrong decision than no decision’.

Anyway - Fiend - since when have you been a Peak Lime afficionado? I bet the nearest you’ve been Lime bouldering was when someone told you that rubbing your blistered cheb end on the starting holds of Kudos would clear up your persistent rot? 😁

(Did it work? Asking for a friend obvs..)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 08:16:00 am by tomtom »

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#453 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 08:12:03 am
Another glorious Dobb Egg of a lime call. The lime calling has been such a shambles for so long I actually worry what might happen if it's done right one year.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#454 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 08:26:52 am
I don't think we have to worry too much about THAT, Will...  ::)

Tomtom I was rotpunkting in Chee Dale on Sunday, but I knew it was just a temporary bit of active rest / pulp-massage before returning to the scrittle. And yes if the Kudos holds have sticky damp....you know why.

remus

• forum hero
#455 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 09:18:26 am

The lime isn't some fickle mistress requiring a perfect confluence of conditions before it comes in. Two tier is bone dry and  people have been climbing at rubicon for weeks, this cold spell is just a brief window in which to send the projects you've been working for the last month. The lime is definitively open.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#456 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 10:05:01 am
The call doesn’t just signal when it’s possible to climb on the incoming rock type though, it’s also when the conditions to climb hard on the outgoing type have sufficiently diminished. Some people climb on one rock type all year round, doesn’t mean it’s always officially both seasons.

Look back through both of the calling threads and you’ll see that the true start of every season is preceded by a short spell during which people have this exact squabble- the most accurate calls come at the end of those periods, not the start.

remus

• forum hero
#457 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 11:57:16 am
The call doesn’t just signal when it’s possible to climb on the incoming rock type though, it’s also when the conditions to climb hard on the outgoing type have sufficiently diminished. Some people climb on one rock type all year round, doesn’t mean it’s always officially both seasons.

I think 'incoming' and 'outgoing' rock types are a misnomer: if the lime is in it's in, it doesn't matter what those weirdos scratching around on the brown rubbish think is in condition.

I've been out on the lime loads these last 2 weeks and it's absolutely mint conditions. To delay the call any further would be to deny reality.

danm

• junky
#458 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 12:11:56 pm
Mag lime has been mint for weeks and no waders needed for Rubicon. Ignore the naysayers, good call (perhaps even somewhat late?) and thanks, I'm off to The P.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#459 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 12:40:51 pm
I'm going to stand in support of this call. I think it might be time develop a strict criteria for lime calling though, obviously this should be developed in secret with the final list only known the currently designated caller.

This may require some ritualistic self sacrifice on the part of the development committee however for which I nominate shark.

I've messaged Hayden with my criteria suggestion. I think we should all do the same and he can develop a final list in secret to be passed on.

petejh

• forum hero
#460 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 01:44:47 pm
Isn't the lime/girt call all just gambling...?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#461 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 03:27:53 pm
I'm boycotting lime until it provides equal opportunities for fat, useless, weak punters

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#462 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 06:36:23 pm
When I look through the Peak Bouldering guide I see hundreds of lime problems I can’t do, which is almost as many as the grit problems I can’t get up.

Equal opportunities to fail in abundance, to be fair.

Duma

• forum hero
#463 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 07:19:42 pm
Does it have to be either/or? Obviously you can climb on either all year, but I think both can be in season at the same time too.
The grit call is largely temps (and witchcraft), whereas the lime is mostly seepage, no? So with a dry feb/mar, this sort of glorious dual season is a real possibility, and one to be savoured!

webbo

• forum hero
#464 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 07:27:23 pm
So the day I climb on grit for the first time in at least 18 months and the lime gets called. I wonder if someone traced me through the google implant in my C19 vaccination.

Duma

• forum hero
#465 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 07:32:07 pm
a real possibility, and one to be savoured!

(Not by me obvs, the closest thing to grit in my locale is frome valley sandstone...)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#466 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 07:43:00 pm
I'm boycotting lime until it provides equal opportunities for fat, useless, weak punters
It does, places like the lovely slabby Staden. Although given the Flash Bar webcam is showing the typical prime lime conditions of "blanketed with heavy show", that's another option that's actually a nail hammered into the polished, wobbly coffin of this doomed early call.

Bradders

• forum hero
#467 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 09:05:20 pm
Does it have to be either/or? Obviously you can climb on either all year, but I think both can be in season at the same time too.
The grit call is largely temps (and witchcraft), whereas the lime is mostly seepage, no? So with a dry feb/mar, this sort of glorious dual season is a real possibility, and one to be savoured!

I'd say this time of year is pretty much prime time for almost everything. Grit bouldering, lime bouldering, lime chuffing, sandstone, mountain bouldering in the Lakes and Wales; it's all in!

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#468 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 09:12:40 pm
I'd say this time of year is pretty much prime time for almost everything. Grit bouldering, lime bouldering, lime chuffing, sandstone, mountain bouldering in the Lakes and Wales; it's all in!

Hell yeah, so dry in the Lakes at the mo too, and I guess from Monday there’s no risk of accidentally offending anyone by driving for a couple of hours to go bouldering!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#469 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 09:18:04 pm
Just so we're clear about this - the only thing I have against lime is that I am shit on Peak lime.

I am trying my best to be happy for the rest of you.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#470 Re: calling of the lime
April 10, 2021, 09:25:47 pm

That's partly the issue. There was any sense of decency and fairness, the lime wouldn't be called until the grit was definitely OUT, let alone when it's still prime grit connies (snow aside). The lime is, was, and always will be the last resort of the discerning gentleperson, and ideally should be called as thus.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#471 Re: calling of the lime
April 11, 2021, 12:11:11 am
Absolutely no doubt in my mind it's primo for lime bouldering and therefore the call is correct. Up for debate whether route season is truly in as its flecking freezing but this is a bouldering site, so good call.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#472 Re: calling of the lime
April 11, 2021, 10:10:27 am
Drove from Sheffield to Llandudno yesterday (non-climbing permissible trip) through snow on Snake and Glossop and M67 but blue skies and sunshine in Wales. Similar scenes on return journey

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#473 Re: calling of the lime
April 11, 2021, 10:13:25 am
There was any sense of decency and fairness, the lime wouldn't be called until the grit was definitely OUT, let alone when it's still prime grit connies (snow aside)

Suck it up buttercup

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#474 Re: calling of the lime
April 11, 2021, 10:46:07 am
How was the Cave shark? Find any good cross-over projects relevant to Bens Sans?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal