UKBouldering.com

Significant First Ascents (Read 125807 times)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#500 Re: Significant First Ascents
April 11, 2024, 11:38:24 am
Powerful tache. He should be playing AFL.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#501 Re: Significant First Ascents
April 11, 2024, 12:06:12 pm

Also....

I’m not really sure how to write a caption about something that I’ve been looking at for 12+ years, trying for 6 seasons and thought I might never send. But… I’m fucking psyched to have seen this one through!!!

...seems to be the sort of simple, direct way one could communicate this sort of thing:

simply had a profound experience and he wasn't sure how to share it with the wider climbing public without the whole thing getting reduced down to numbers.

Aidan basically talked for about 40 mins on the pod about the experience, that would be quite a long instagram caption!

andy popp

• forum hero
#502 Re: Significant First Ascents
April 12, 2024, 05:29:15 am
Keenan Takahashi has made the first ascent of The Gold Standard on the Golden Boulder in Bishop. This feels pretty significant; proper LGP stuff. The face was originally climbed by Sonnie Trotter and named Standing on the Shoulders of Giants, and so named because one literally had to stand on a partner's shoulders to reach the start holds. What a line!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5loYhuJAz4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Here's another recent FA from the moustachioed one (or the film is recent anyway).

gme

• forum hero
#503 Re: Significant First Ascents
April 15, 2024, 04:33:50 pm
Noticed Dave Mc did his long term project at 8B+, and followed the trend of not telling anyone for a month. Will Bosi repeated in in a day a few weeks back and held off with that news until Dave released his. I had thought this would be harder as its taken him a long time.

News from Instagram.

This may have been reported earlier, its on climbing History,  but i cant be arsed to wade through pages of stuff about paywalls to check.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#504 Re: Significant First Ascents
April 15, 2024, 04:46:27 pm
https://www.instagram.com/climbermacleod/p/C5v6ldgIbo6/?hl=en

A couple of weeks ago I completed my long term project on the Animal Boulder near Inverness. Although I did all the moves a couple of winters ago, I really struggled to link it from the start to the position in this pic. As usual for me, despite many tens of sessions, I kept changing things in my sequence right up to the session before I did it. One of these days, I'll complete a project that actually feels hard when you do it. Once I actually figured out beta that got around my lack of strength on undercuts, the successful try felt pretty steady. The first time I got to the lip, I got to the top. Given that the Animal Boulder looks like a bear's head, I'm calling this line 'Bultitude' after the soft spoken but deadly bear in C.S. Lewis' 'That Hideous Strength'. Torn on the grade but I'll go with 8B+ for now. 8B seems a bit harsh, although maybe folk strong on undercuts will find it easier. I have another project that relies on undercut strength and quite psyched to try that some more, now that I have some freedom from this line. I have some video of it to finish editing - its been a busy couple of weeks!

Two teasers of recent progress:
https://www.instagram.com/climbermacleod/reel/C4vIRQrLZcS/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/climbermacleod/reel/C4xYub6LE3g/?hl=en

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#505 Re: Significant First Ascents
April 15, 2024, 04:51:36 pm
Shite Boulder in a Shite location.....Don't Go

Duncan campbell

• junky
#506 Re: Significant First Ascents
April 15, 2024, 05:33:23 pm
“It’s shite being Scottish, you’ve got the lowest of the low, shite boulders in shite locations…”

Sorry couldn’t help myself :P

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#507 Re: Significant First Ascents
April 15, 2024, 05:41:14 pm
Have you just looed at Robbie Philips' latest IG post. He references exactly that.

gme

• forum hero
#508 Re: Significant First Ascents
April 15, 2024, 06:10:44 pm
Just a shame about the real issue of weather and midge.

Must be some hard problems for Will to do somewhere up there.

ferret

• forum abuser
#509 Re: Significant First Ascents
April 15, 2024, 06:33:28 pm
“It’s shite being Scottish, you’ve got the lowest of the low, shite boulders in shite locations…”

Sorry couldn’t help myself :P

Love the reference.
When I saw Trainspotting at the cinema a huge group of local heroin addicts went to the showing. They smoked joints and drank white lightning all the way through and would whistle and shout every time the characters started shooting up.
When this scene came on a random scotish guy who happened to be in the front row stood up and screamed at the screen "don't you be talking shite about Scotland you c*nts"
Just an average day growing up in Grimsby

Duncan campbell

• junky
#510 Re: Significant First Ascents
April 15, 2024, 06:57:46 pm
Have you just looed at Robbie Philips' latest IG post. He references exactly that.

Haha 😂 no I haven’t… still sadly unoriginal of me I guess

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal